trying to get into the computer repair industry not sure where to start (unsure where to post this)

DragonsRift
Go to solution Solved by 8tg,
1 minute ago, DragonsRift said:

when you say get an A+ certification you mean this one correct? https://www.comptia.org/certifications/a
also, is there any other certifications that I should look into?

Yep, that’s the one.

Depending on what else you want to expand to long term, Microsoft certifications are super useful even outside of the service technician workspace. If you are certified to work with Azure or Microsoft enterprise systems you can basically walk right into data management positions at a lot of places, or pick it up as a side bonus at a different workplace.

Im Microsoft AZ104 certified and we started integrating this stuff into my workplace, a DHL supply chain cross dock, and immediately got a 9% raise on top of my existing income for spearheading the implementation of that system, absolutely paying for itself and getting me job offers for other DHL sites.

Id look at microsoft certifications, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/browse/?resource_type=certification

Basically a certification that says you run circles around anything Microsoft.

Not really sure where to post this, but I'm trying to get into computer repair (central Florida area). I'm just not really sure where to start, I've been looking into certifications and some form of schooling but I don't really want to go for a full degree.
if anyone is in that industry and can give me some ideas that would be very helpful.

Go get an A+ certification, most schools will have a program for one. Stick that on your resume and apply at basically any PC repair store to start building up a more detailed resume.

like with any job that benefits or requires a specific certification, class a commercial driving, pipeline construction, whatever, it’s that first year and the investment into the education that’s really important

Then your resume says you know what you’re doing and recruiters start looking for you, a lot more doors open beyond just computer repair stores, into larger scale service depots or enterprise systems maintenance.

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Go get an A+ certification, most schools will have a program for one. Stick that on your resume and apply at basically any PC repair store to start building up a more detailed resume.

like with any job that benefits or requires a specific certification, class a commercial driving, pipeline construction, whatever, it’s that first year and the investment into the education that’s really important

Then your resume says you know what you’re doing and recruiters start looking for you, a lot more doors open beyond just computer repair stores, into larger scale service depots or enterprise systems maintenance.

when you say get an A+ certification you mean this one correct? https://www.comptia.org/certifications/a

1 minute ago, DragonsRift said:

Yep, that’s the one.

Depending on what else you want to expand to long term, Microsoft certifications are super useful even outside of the service technician workspace. If you are certified to work with Azure or Microsoft enterprise systems you can basically walk right into data management positions at a lot of places, or pick it up as a side bonus at a different workplace.

Im Microsoft AZ104 certified and we started integrating this stuff into my workplace, a DHL supply chain cross dock, and immediately got a 9% raise on top of my existing income for spearheading the implementation of that system, absolutely paying for itself and getting me job offers for other DHL sites.

Id look at microsoft certifications, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/browse/?resource_type=certification

5 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Yep, that’s the one.

alright thanks so much, ill get started on looking for ways to get that certification.

I work for a big service company covering all the Nordic countries. We do warranty services for HP, Dell and Lenovo PCs, HP and Dell servers, printers from a few manufacturers and we are big on service on POS/retail solutions. The only formal qualification we require from new employees is a drivers license. All manufacturers have their own qualifications you have to get, but it is not easy/impossible to get access to them unless you are employed with one of their service partners, you take the qualifications after getting the job. A laptop qualification takes from 30m to 3h as a web based training, others like a few printers may require a week or more at a actual training facility.