1x4 pin + 1x8 pin for 12400F + TUF B660M

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
7 minutes ago, Gamer Guy said:

Even though 12400F doesn't need more than 1x 8-pin, from which 12th gen CPU, when paired up with this board, will I require that extra 4-Pin connector? Is that something I can buy one extra from Corsair and plug it in when I upgrade in future to like 12700/13700 tier CPUs running at stock?

The 8 pin header, at minimum, can supply 384w. The closest anything on LGA 1700 currently gets to that is the 12900k which draws about 230w under full load, well under the 384w the 8 pin can supply. I'd highly doubt a future 13900k will draw more than ~250w under full load because that would be nearly impossible to cool, so that extra 4 pin header is just on the board for aesthetic reasons, it serves no functional purpose.

I am looking to upgrade to 12400F and Asus Tuf Gaming B660M Plus non-wifi. GPU will be RTX 3050 for casual gaming. When I put these in pc part picker, the compatibility notes show that my existing Corsair CX550M does not have an extra 4-pin CPU power connector but the mobo has.

Even though 12400F doesn't need more than 1x 8-pin, from which 12th gen CPU, when paired up with this board, will I require that extra 4-Pin connector? Is that something I can buy one extra from Corsair and plug it in when I upgrade in future to like 12700/13700 tier CPUs running at stock?

No, you don't need the extra 4 pin. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Gamer Guy said:

Even though 12400F doesn't need more than 1x 8-pin, from which 12th gen CP when paired up with this board, will I require that extra 4-Pin connector? 

Nope. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, Gamer Guy said:

The 8 pin header, at minimum, can supply 384w. The closest anything on LGA 1700 currently gets to that is the 12900k which draws about 230w under full load, well under the 384w the 8 pin can supply. I'd highly doubt a future 13900k will draw more than ~250w under full load because that would be nearly impossible to cool, so that extra 4 pin header is just on the board for aesthetic reasons, it serves no functional purpose.

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Why would they choose to show aesthetics instead of giving a fan header at that place which will help connecting rear/top exhaust fans easily. It already has good number of fan headers, but still 😅. Anyway thanks for explanation!

3 minutes ago, Gamer Guy said:

Why would they choose to show aesthetics instead of giving a fan header at that place which will help connecting rear/top exhaust fans easily. It already has good number of fan headers, but still 😅. Anyway thanks for explanation!

Because most people think "Oh, it has more power connectors, therefore it performs better," even though that only matters when it's being overclocked on sub-zero applications, which you aren't gonna do on a B660 board.