It's upgrade time (probably not necessary, but I'm worth it.)

bobbybdennis

Budget (including currency): No real budget,  USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Old school RuneScape is my main game but ill play any AAA titles that I want, lots of python learning and running whatever code I decide to make. Maybe some video rendering. I do stream on twitch occasionally and always try to have everything look crisp

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current build:
CPU - i7-7820x
GPU- 2080ti FE

ram - 32 gb 3600mhz ddr4

mobo - x299 raider

psu - 1000w evga

4 monitors

Thinking about  a CPU / MOBO upgrade 

my questions really would be what is the top of the line CPU out there, been looking at the i9-12900k and a motherboard that can handle that with 64 -128 gb ram. Would I need to get DDR5 ram and would that be worth upgrading to as well? 

7 minutes ago, bobbybdennis said:

Would I need to get DDR5 ram and would that be worth upgrading to as well? 

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Top of the line right now would indeed be the I9-12900K. As for the RAM, you usually do not need more than 32GB. 64GB is overkill but useful in some cases like rendering on high resolutions. 128GB would only be useful for doing multiple extremely demanding tasks at the same time, like if you were to render 8k images, stream in 4k resolution and do video editing all at the same time, and even then you might not notice a difference. With regards to DDR5, like mentioned in the video above, in its current state DDR5 is not nearly worth it yet. The performance gain is not very large at all while you pay more than a premium for it. 

In general, I would upgrade my CPU to the I9-12900K, invest in an AIO that can cool it, and only if you have money left over think of upgrading to more RAM (DDR4 and the 3600mhz seem fine, though I don't know about their true latency).

Quote or @ me for if you respond to me, and if I solved your problem or answered your question, please hit the Mark As Solution button.

If you are going to do it, go with DDR5. Get the fastest, lowest latency you can find. It will be costly, (read not cost effective), but will outperform a DDR4 equipped system.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, RTX 3090 said:

Awesome ,thank you for your input currently have the noctha air cooler. Prior I had a h60i AIO that finally lost its water inside or something after about 7 years lol. I know I don’t NEED 64 gb of ram. But the income is expandable and I don’t wanna be the richest guy in the cemetery lol. Thank you for posting the video too 🙂