PSU Cable melting

DrJankenstein
Go to solution Solved by --SID--,
9 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

You reckon I should still replace the PSU considering it has melty bits

There's only one socket melted and 9 left. Two for the CPU so you got 7 for the GPUs where you need 6. The PSU comes with 6 PCI-e cables of which one is melted. Just buy one new PCI-e cable so you can connect each GPU with 3 seperate cables.

So, I got to the bottom of my stability problems...

The graphics cards had an overheating issue a while back, but recently it had been black screening but the system was still running (I could SSH into it). So I started doing some diagnostics and the secondary card was still running but the first card was missing. 

I assumed it was the card so I reseated it etc but noticed that if I switched the cables around then the card came back to life 🤨 both the cards were fine... I figured out which cable was dodgy and when I pulled it out I noticed the cabling was melted at the PSU 😮

Could this be something to do with how I set up the cabling? or is the PSU/Cabling at fault? 

This machine specs are 

2 x 6900XT

Threadripper 3990

64Gb Ram

3 Hdds

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Were you running a 6900xt from a single cable?

No, each card had a cable with two plugs and a cable with a single plug (three plugs, two cables)

5 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

with two plugs

This one is melted?

Use 3 seperate cables for each card.

Antec Signature Platinum is Seasonic Prime. Seasonic uses 9A terminals instead of 13A HCS terminals that are more heat resistant. Seasonic don't recommand >150w powerdraw from one cable.

Well it would then appear as either you needed 6 actual cables, or one cable was faulty causing one card to only draw from a single cable which melted it.

In any case, 6 cables would ensure that if one cable were faulty the card would draw from the other two cables vs one. May seem overkill but its more along the lines of a redundancy than overkill

Thanks folks!!

31 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

13 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Antec Signature Platinum is Seasonic Prime. Seasonic uses 9A terminals instead of 13A HCS terminals that are more heat resistant. Seasonic don't recommand >150w powerdraw from one cable.

18g wire and cheap terminals.  😞

9 minutes ago, DrJankenstein said:

There's only one socket melted and 9 left. Two for the CPU so you got 7 for the GPUs where you need 6. The PSU comes with 6 PCI-e cables of which one is melted. Just buy one new PCI-e cable so you can connect each GPU with 3 seperate cables.