AMD 6000 series GPUS and Ryzen 5000 CPUS

MarvinKMooney

Supposedly pairing them together makes it run "fast for games" but I can't seem to find any kind of benchmarks for it I'm curious if anyone knows anything about it only found an article about it here.

AMD’s RX 6000 GPUs to Boost Perf With Ryzen 5000 CPUs via Smart Memory Access | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

your behind about a year here

SAM is amds implementation of rBAR, which has been part of the pcie spec since pcie 3.0. rBAR is available on most ryzen and intel 9th gen and up systems iirc, and should work fine.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

your behind about a year here

SAM is amds implementation of rBAR, which has been part of the pcie spec since pcie 3.0. rBAR is available on most ryzen and intel 9th gen and up systems iirc, and should work fine.

Gotcha, so there's no real benefit of pairing AMD with AMD vs Nvidia with AMD or Intel and vice versa and what nots.

13 minutes ago, Viridian said:

Gotcha, so there's no real benefit of pairing AMD with AMD vs Nvidia with AMD or Intel and vice versa and what nots.

On desktop, not really. There is tighter integration on laptops.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

14 minutes ago, Viridian said:

I do find it odd that there's no real info comparing the 2 (AMD's SMA, Nvidia's Rebar)

It's technically the same thing. The technology is called rBAR and has been around for some time, but basically no one bothered to allow users to enable it. AMD was the first one to do so, and they dubbed it "SAM" as a marketing name. Nvidia quickly followed, but obviously they can't use the same name as AMD does.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's technically the same thing. The technology is called rBAR and has been around for some time, but basically no one bothered to allow users to enable it. AMD was the first one to do so, and they dubbed it "SAM" as a marketing name.

it's understandable but would be neat to see if there is any difference at all is one better than the other or is it just that same thing different name, i can guess and say there is probably zero difference.

9 minutes ago, Viridian said:

it's understandable but would be neat to see if there is any difference at all is one better than the other or is it just that same thing different name, i can guess and say there is probably zero difference.

Same thing, different name. But based on some benchmarks I've seen there are performance differences between the two. Probably down to how the driver does things or maybe also differences in the code paths of individual games for AMD/Nvidia.

~edit: Or, I should say there is a differences in performance gains with it enabled/disabled. In some games AMD gains more in some games Nvidia gains more etc.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

NVIDIA's ReBAR implementation is garbage. At best the performance is the same, at worst it's even significantly worse. Where with AMD's SAM, at worst the performance is the same and at best you gain even up to 15% or 20% or something. I don't really remember SAM ever going negative. With NVIDIA, almost always. And I have X570 and RTX 3080, both with ReBAR supported BIOS and latest drivers on Win11 that should support all this.

I had a 5600x paired with a 6700 xt for a while and saw a few frames improvement at 1440p. But not major enough to be a strong "oh boy!" feature. Still, it was free and easy to turn it on, so I used it!

5600x/RTX 4080

“1. Never tell everything at once.” - Ken Venturi's Two Great Rules of Life