Options for aftermarket cooling a 1080ti

R3dbullDrinker

I have a currently deshrouded 1080ti (zotac amp non extreme)with some arctic p12’s at 1200rpm constantly and I hit a max of 42c stress testing 2hrs with a moderate overclock at 2100with 1050mv on the core.  

Water cooling and opening the side panel.  What would be another good form of cooling to squeeze a little more performance out of this card.  

fyi: other than deshrouding I have the entire backplate being actively cooled with heatsinks(thermal pads. and 80mm fans.  I have the back of the core, vrms and vram padded.

i also do not mind doing a bit of a janky setup as it’s kinda the esthetic I like.

42C is literally nothing.  Laptops will sometimes idle hotter than that.

2 minutes ago, IPD said:

42C is literally nothing.  Laptops will sometimes idle hotter than that.

Yeah but I just want to hit maybe 2200, 2300 on the core under about 45c ish as the clock dips after that temp on the core.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

Wait, your GPU is thermally throttling below 50C?  WTH

Nvidia starts dropping clocks at low temps. You still hit your rated speeds, but the colder you are the higher boost bins you get.

OP - Have you tried liquid metal? I have a Morpheus II cooler on my 5700xt and the difference between regular paste and liquid metal was huge. Just buy some conformal coating and apply that around the die first. I've been running it for 18 months now with no problems, no degredation in performance or temps etc. Transferring heat from the die to your cooler is generally the biggest bottleneck in thermals.

You can try faster fans, but you sacrifice noise. I have Noctua P12 redux fans at 1700 rpm and they aren't bad, but are audible.

You can try an aftermarket cooler if you want to get crazy. The Morpheus is great for me. RAM and VRM cooling leaves a bit to be desired though. It's not terrible but not quite as good as the stock cooler I'm about to use some thermal adhesive and ditch the thermal tape. Tape sucks as a conductor and they fall off when I move my case to aggressively.

There are AIO options as well for GPUs.

11 hours ago, IPD said:

Wait, your GPU is thermally throttling below 50C?  WTH

it dips slightly after a certain temp but not throttle idk how to word it

7 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

Nvidia starts dropping clocks at low temps. You still hit your rated speeds, but the colder you are the higher boost bins you get.

OP - Have you tried liquid metal? I have a Morpheus II cooler on my 5700xt and the difference between regular paste and liquid metal was huge. Just buy some conformal coating and apply that around the die first. I've been running it for 18 months now with no problems, no degredation in performance or temps etc. Transferring heat from the die to your cooler is generally the biggest bottleneck in thermals.

You can try faster fans, but you sacrifice noise. I have Noctua P12 redux fans at 1700 rpm and they aren't bad, but are audible.

You can try an aftermarket cooler if you want to get crazy. The Morpheus is great for me. RAM and VRM cooling leaves a bit to be desired though. It's not terrible but not quite as good as the stock cooler I'm about to use some thermal adhesive and ditch the thermal tape. Tape sucks as a conductor and they fall off when I move my case to aggressively.

There are AIO options as well for GPUs.

Ive tried aios and aftermarket coolers but both sacrifice vrm temps significantly