Hot Swapping vs Soldered - Something to consider

IPD

Your keyboard preference?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• I prefer hot-swappable keyboards
    • I will likely never need to swap switches, and/or I don't care one way or the other
    • I prefer non-hot-swappable keyboards
    • I NEED a hot-swappable keyboard in no uncertain terms

https://oneofzero.net/blogs/the-smoking-iron/a-case-against-hot-swapping-keyboards

Ran across this article.  I myself feel the hot-swappable feature is overhyped and often unnecessary.  This is especially true if you have established your switch type preference; which can easily be done with a test board or a trial keyboard.  Of course, if you're a user who prefer mixing/matching multiple switch types for different key functions, hot-swappable may be of great benefit.

I'm curious to see what the community thinks about them.

It seems like the article mostly mentions downsides that come from swapping switches often... so if you don't do that much those points are irrelevant. I don't especially care because I'll likely never want to do this but if, say, a switch on my keyboard broke I'd like the option to order and drop in a replacement without having to desolder and resolder anything...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I might not be the target audience for this topic but as someone who enjoys building keyboards and could not see my self ever having just one keyboard I think a mix is best. If I'm building a so called endgame keyboard I would go soldered but I like having a hotswap keyboard or two around to quickly test different switches and or keycaps.

I also believe hotswap keyboards makes the hobby a lot more approachable and that can only be a positive.

I don`t think i am part of the target audience, but i prefer soldered switches because they have less failiure points and a lower cost.

But i have really good soldering and de-soldering equipment and use it on a daily basis, so for me its no hassle at all.

But like so many times, i am by no means the norm.

I think both hotswap and solder both have pros/cons.

Personally, I would prefer hotswap because of its convenience that I can just buy a brand new barebones kit and get started after modding the stabs (if they're included). This was a consideration when I got my D60 HHKB.

However, layout support for hotswap is always the thing that's lacking, simply because of a lack of space within most PCBs.

If changing or using a different layout is important to you, like stepped caps, split backspace, ISO enter, etc, then you should pick solder PCBs. They can be a pain even for experienced builders.

CPU : Intel i5-12600K

Motherboard : ASUS TUF Z690-PLUS WIFI D4

RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200MHz CL16 (2x8GB)

AIO : Corsair H100i 240MM

GPU : Asus TUF RTX3070

Case : ThermalTake Core P3

Keyboard : D60 HHKB with Jwick Ultimate Black switches, G81-3000SAV PBT keycaps

Mouse : Logitech G Pro Wireless

Audio : Edifier R1280DBs | Sennheiser HD598

Is it just me or is soldering really that much of a dealbreaker? Irons aren’t expensive neither is solder

2 hours ago, James Evens said:

@Imbadatnames China soldering iron are $50. Reputable brand starting at like $150. Everything under $50 might get the job done but isn't fun.

In my opinion it isn't about cost and more about perception: There are switches for $1 each so clearly spending the $50 on a iron shouldn't be an issue (you could also resell it once you are done).

You don’t really need a good one for this much solder though. 

5 hours ago, James Evens said:

Don't cheap out on tools if you are novice.

With experience a bad soldering iron is manageable. As a rookie? this can trow your of.

I totally agree, but i wouldnt place the TS100 and the pinecil, which both come under 50 Dollar, in the "cheap out" category. With the right tips, they are totally fine for occasional and, when on the go, even professional use.