Questions about potential server upgrade

I am new to the server world. 

My server is a old desktop computer that is currently running truenas. I use it has a plex and nextcloud server. I currently have only 2 8 tb drives in a RAID 1 config.

Original Specs:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02628226

I upgraded the the pc to 8 gbs of ram and add a rx550 for display (the integrated one seems to not work and I use to use this as a gaming rig). 

My problem now is the current storage capacity is fine for now, but I would like to upgrade it in the future. I can't add any more drives since the motherboard only has 4 sata ports and I am using one for the boot ssd and the others for the hdds.

My question is, should I buy a new motherboard for my server? One that has multiple pci ports, so I can add a SAS card. Which should allow me to have more storage. I have never touched SAS before, so I am not sure what card I would need, or even if this would work. Any input would be great.

My big plan if this works was to transfer everything over to a new server chassis that has tons of more drive bays for expansion. Please tell me if that is a good idea or not.

My last question as to do with RAID. If I were to get more hdds for space how can I change the RAID config. Is it an easy process or do I have to transfer over all the data to the new config.

Plenty of feedback is welcomed I want to learn as much as I can. Thanks.

Looking at the specs of your HP: 

Expansion Slots
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
3 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

The easy option would be to add a cheap and simple PCI Express x1 Sata controller. That would let you add 2 extra drives. But, looking at your computer case, no easy place to put them.  So, another case is also required.

Looking at your current hardware, the amount of power i suspect it uses and the expected age of the components, moving it to another case is not a smart plan, and if the onboard graphices is defective, and questions of reliability based on its age, not a real option.  The amount of power consumed alone, and the savings with new modern low power consumption parts would make the upgrade largely pay for itself in the long run. 

So i would be looking for a new small "server" 

With the age of the hardware you would be probably better off starting over. Most prebuilts like the Hp are not standard form factor so while you could buy a motherboard and power supply it may not be worth it. You can look for used custom built PCs that are older for a good price and move you graphics card over. This way you can get a standard case/Mobo that has the expansion that you need. If you are planning for future storage expansion you can look at some of the LSi cards like the 9207-8i (IN IT MODE!!) its a sas card but you can get breakout cable to allow it to connect to 8 sata cards. This is also a good time to consider what OS you want to run. Freenas/TrueNas is a great OS and performance wise it can wipe the floor with unraid depending on the config. However, it is much more complicated to expand down the road. Unraid you just toss in a drive and you can add it. You can run your plex and nextcloud in a docker and it does support GPu transcoding with a Nvidia card. Just something to keep in mind.........this is LTT after all....We must refrence ourt unraid Lords and Saviors! 

12 hours ago, dyllan500 said:

I am new to the server world. 

My server is a old desktop computer that is currently running truenas. I use it has a plex and nextcloud server. I currently have only 2 8 tb drives in a RAID 1 config.

Original Specs:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02628226

I upgraded the the pc to 8 gbs of ram and add a rx550 for display (the integrated one seems to not work and I use to use this as a gaming rig). 

My problem now is the current storage capacity is fine for now, but I would like to upgrade it in the future. I can't add any more drives since the motherboard only has 4 sata ports and I am using one for the boot ssd and the others for the hdds.

My question is, should I buy a new motherboard for my server? One that has multiple pci ports, so I can add a SAS card. Which should allow me to have more storage. I have never touched SAS before, so I am not sure what card I would need, or even if this would work. Any input would be great.

My big plan if this works was to transfer everything over to a new server chassis that has tons of more drive bays for expansion. Please tell me if that is a good idea or not.

My last question as to do with RAID. If I were to get more hdds for space how can I change the RAID config. Is it an easy process or do I have to transfer over all the data to the new config.

Plenty of feedback is welcomed I want to learn as much as I can. Thanks.

Usually when I build a new pool I move the storage, rebuild it and move it back but that may not be an option for you. (to gain space you can clear out your backups temporary maybe?)

You can extend a ZFS pool under certain circumstances by replacing all the drives with larger ones one at a time.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

Thanks all of you for the information. I am just trying to see what upgrades I can do without buying a new cpu, because of the "chip storage". The cpu I have now is doing well for me at the moment. I can stream 4k content with plex, so I am not that in need of an upgrade. The problem is with my storage size I can save that much 4k files. 

So the best question is should I get a server chassis with plenty of hdd bays, a new motherboard, and a sas card. Then at a later date when I want to upgrade my cpu. So, all I need to do is swap out the motherboard with the one with for my new cpu. Basically the old cpu would be temporary while I wait to upgrade fully. 

I understand the reasoning behind it, keeping the CPU, but no, not an option.

Your current cpu is a socket AM3, and your ram is DDR3. Both are more or less  antique and not compatible with modern motherboards.  So buying a new motherboard now and later upgrading the CPU is a no go. That is one of the reasons we advice to buildt a new server. 

So my advice would be: Think long run. Don't think about what you've got (except the harddrives and maybe the SSD) but what you would like to have and even more important, what the new server needs to be capable of.  Think about what you would like to do in the future and what are you prepared to spend for that.  Try to estimate when you are goint to need more storage.  Don't think in system spec's like:  i want to have an Epyc 7313 cpu ,2 TB ram and any other posibly overkill spec.  If you know what the computer will be doing you dont have to guess about what you really need.