LTT is stealing software from OCCT and ignoring his emails

Summary

The OCCT dev has created a post explaining how LTT has blatantly pirated software from him. They have also refused to answer his emails regarding the issue even after Linus was ranting on video about making sure to pay people for their work and don't be a pirate especially for small creators..

Quotes

OCCT dev here. I read the whole comment thread (wow, that blew up), and felt like I had to give my personal view of this.

Let me draw the whole picture quickly : i'm the sole dev behind the project (and I always have been a solo dev), and it's currently downloaded 20k+ times per day. I made that my main job due to COVID events since early 2021, and currently, i'm not making ends meet with the project, and if things continue that way, i'll have to put OCCT as a side job again, despite its huge success.

OCCT has been around for 18 years now, and has been free for personal use only for like 10+ years, at least. It's not new it's forbidden for professional / commercial use. Don't ask me when exactly, but it's been 10 years+ at least. I think it was since OCCT 2.0.

I'll say how I felt about this, without filtering anything.

First reaction was "OMFG I finally am featured on a popular youtube channel !". I was on JayZ's channel already (he used a very old version), and now on LTT, I was thoroughly REALLY happy.

Then, after a few minutes, it starts to hit you.

Did they contact you ? No. Did they pay for a license ? No. Are they out of bounds ? yeah.

Then, developing OCCT further, I tried to reach out to youtubers, as they started making content about software. Remember the CTR/Hydra craze a few months ago ? Yeah, around that time. I was introducing my benchmarks, with a new take, and tried to get attention. I emailed the 3 top youtube channels I knew : JayZ, LTT, and GamersNexus. I got a response from GamerNexus, which led to nowhere (I was still very happy about getting answered though, thanks !), and none from the two others.

My thoughts

Seems like an incredibly terrible thing to do to a small time dev. Especially after ranting about people using AdBlock and comparing them to pirates because they don't give him a few pennies per video.

Sources

Straight from the Dev: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/srhalz/linus_tech_tips_pirating_occt_answer_from_the_dev/