Not getting past 100mbps from my broadband.

Rafi Eshan

So, I used to get 500mbps (60mbps download speed) from my ISP's ftp servers. But I'm not getting that any more. My ISP is saying it's not on their end. And I'm 99% sure it's not on my end either.

image.png.b5a7175bf6f5912c41a670d62f00e2c6.png
image.png.69843142e4b57f0e8a3638d1a2714392.png

54 minutes ago, Rafi Eshan said:

So, I used to get 500mbps (60mbps download speed) from my ISP's ftp servers. But I'm not getting that any more. My ISP is saying it's not on their end. And I'm 99% sure it's not on my end either.

image.png.b5a7175bf6f5912c41a670d62f00e2c6.png
image.png.69843142e4b57f0e8a3638d1a2714392.png

Assuming you're connected using CAT5E ethernet cables聽directly聽to your modem, run a speedtest.net and fast.com test, then share the results. Ensure you black out any identifying information, such as your public IP address. Feel free to describe any recent hardware, software, or networking changes too, as these things can help us understand what might be causing your slower speeds.

Also, please correctly capitalize MBps (vs. Mbps) when referring to different measurements to ensure people don't accidentally get confused. I know you meant 60MBps = 500mbps (technically 480mbps), but not everyone will right off the bat. 馃檪

Desktop:KiRaShi-Intel-2022聽(i5-12600K, RTX2060)聽Mobile:聽OnePlus 5T聽|聽Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop:聽Dell聽XPS 15 9560 (the real聽15"聽MacBook Pro that Apple didn't聽make)聽Tablet:iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) |聽Canon SX280聽| Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA聽'08)

No recent hardware changes.
I installed some VPN's recently though.

3 hours ago, Rafi Eshan said:

No recent hardware changes.
I installed some VPN's recently though.

Are you 1000% completely sure you are not using VPN when trying speedtest.

As then you are dependent on VPN max speeds, which are in this case always lower.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

Are you 1000% completely sure you are not using VPN when trying speedtest.

As then you are dependent on VPN max speeds, which are in this case always lower.

Yes. I'm more than 1000% sure i'm NOT using a VPN while trying to connect to my local FTP server. Linus taught me at least that much.

With 93 down / 130 up my first reaction is it's an issue with the modem or line. Network settings on your PC typically don't discriminate with traffic directions. Double check your PC is set for 1Gb though since 2.5 or 10Gb adapters still have the potential to have negotiation issues with your router. I doubt that's the issue though.

If you are using a laptop make sure it's not running off battery. Seen plenty of those cause goofy traffic throttling when in battery mode, and Dell is *still* shipping portables with fast ethernet adapters.

Bounce the modem obviously.聽

As a double blind get another PC plugged into the modem directly and do the same speed test. If two different wired clients show the same results directly plugged into the modem then the problem is from the modem > upstream.

I used to get 500 Mbps (60 MBps download speed) on my desktop with cat5e and cat6 cables. With no hardware change, no router settings change, my speed is now capped to 100Mbps.聽

My ISP refreshed the ONU's capacity from their end, and it's solved. (They assumed I was an illiterate moron)

Thanks for reporting back! 馃檪

4 hours ago, Rafi Eshan said:

My ISP refreshed the ONU's capacity from their end, and it's solved. (They assumed I was an illiterate moron)

Mark this as answer, so if anyone else searches the same issue they see that instantly. 馃槈

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!