I'm having problems with my wifi adapter i guess

arjules

Hi everyone, for post for me, since i can't figure out this online i'm gonna try here.

Quick disclaimer, i'm french so excuse me if i make some mistakes.

So to be quick, i have a laptop (hp) with a realtek wireless adapter capable of going up to wifi 6 (protocol 802.11ax) my router is only capable of wifi 5 (802.11ac). In theory this souldn't be a problem since my phone is also wifi 6 capable and never had such a problem. But for some reason, every time i try to connect my laptop to my router, once connected, i'm getting the "no internet" popup and obviously i don't have any connection. This only happen on my laptop so it's not a router problem. The only way i can connect my laptop to the internet is using an access point from my phone (so a wifi 6 access point). I've checked my driver and it's up to date.

If you have any idea of what's happening i will be glad to hear it and if you need any other information i may have forgot ask me.

Thank you ^^

36 minutes ago, arjules said:

If you have any idea of what's happening i will be glad to hear it and if you need any other information i may have forgot ask me.

Please provide the following information:

1. Exact model of WiFi 6 adapter on laptop.
  2. Make/model of router.
  3. WiFi settings on router.
  4. Wireless survey (use WiFi Analyzer or WiFiman) showing the channel analysis for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectra in your area.

1 hour ago, arjules said:

The only way i can connect my laptop to the internet is using an access point from my phone (so a wifi 6 access point). I've checked my driver and it's up to date.

Last I checked WiFi 6 phones still only work in WiFi 5 in hotspot mode, so this is definitely not the reason it works.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Last I checked WiFi 6 phones still only work in WiFi 5 in hotspot mode, so this is definitely not the reason it works.

I don't know for other phones but mine (a xiaomi mi 11 has a wifi 6 access point mode)

10 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Please provide the following information:

1. Exact model of WiFi 6 adapter on laptop.
  2. Make/model of router.
  3. WiFi settings on router.
  4. Wireless survey (use WiFi Analyzer or WiFiman) showing the channel analysis for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz spectra in your area.

My adapter is the Realtek RTL8852AE Wifi 6 802.11ax PCIe Adapter

My router is a Freebox revolution (i don't know if free is known outside France)

My router use both wifi 802.11n at 2.4GHz and wifi 802.11ac at 5GHz with a WPA2 protection. With the combination of the two wifi cards in it it can support wifi 802.11b,g,n,a,ac. I guess this is what you mean by wifi settings.

Hope this information help you ^^

Wifi survey.png

Wifi survey 2.png

11 hours ago, arjules said:

My adapter is the Realtek RTL8852AE Wifi 6 802.11ax PCIe Adapter

This card seems to be troublesome if user experience claims are believed. Seems like replacement with an Intel AX200-based adapter works better.

Before you go replacing it, open the laptop and locate the adapter. Carefully reseat it and ensure the antenna cables are properly attached to the adapter itself. See if you get any improvement. Also, make sure your laptop isn't too far from the Freebox.

11 hours ago, arjules said:

I guess this is what you mean by wifi settings.

Log into the Freebox and go to the settings for the WiFi antennae. While they should be similar to what you stated earlier, we need to see what the AP is set to use.

Also, post the channel analysis for 5GHz.

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

This card seems to be troublesome if user experience claims are believed. Seems like replacement with an Intel AX200-based adapter works better.

AX210 highly recommended, it performs better in my experience.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Before you go replacing it, open the laptop and locate the adapter. Carefully reseat it and ensure the antenna cables are properly attached to the adapter itself. See if you get any improvement. Also, make sure your laptop isn't too far from the Freebox.

Log into the Freebox and go to the settings for the WiFi antennae. While they should be similar to what you stated earlier, we need to see what the AP is set to use.

Also, post the channel analysis for 5GHz.

Since i don't have a lot of money i'm not gonna try replacing it, if it's a hardware problem i'm gonna go with it and turn on my access point every time ^^'. The strange thing is that it worked fine the last time i used it at my house (about 1-2 month ago) so maybe it's just the cables that are unpluged like you said, gonna check right after. image.png.16d928b79031e31347641d59d7eb196e.png

Another strange thing, the pc i have problems with is riplenteur in the image above (this is the wifi control panel of my Freebox) and it seems like everything is fine on that side. Hope this image have all the info you need about the router because there's no other settings I can access.

image.thumb.png.ef7071722a3fad777cc85bb7bfb5935f.png

I guess this is the 5ghz analysis, i took this one from my main pc but every setting (protoc, bandwidth, frequency...). 

Ok so update, for some reason, the last update of windows fixed it, i don't know how i don't know why but it work now ^^'

8 minutes ago, arjules said:

Ok so update, for some reason, the last update of windows fixed it, i don't know how i don't know why but it work now ^^'

Great!