Asus Prime B660-Plus D4: XMP/Memory FAIL

Lord_Montague
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Read your RAM's timings with Aida64 or CPU-Z or other tools, write them down on a piece of paper and then go and set them manually in your BIOS. 

IF you still experience issues, keep the timings for that frequency but lower the frequency, set it a step down to 3000 Mhz / 2933 Mhz - it would still be better than 2133 / 2400 Mhz.

I recently got this B660 board to match my new i5-12400, and I paired it with a standard 2X8GB DDR4-3200 memory kit. Enabling XMP in bios causes instability and booting loops - even when I'm able to get to windows in safe mode with XMP enabled, the RAM still reads as 2133, and there are instability issues. Disabling XMP seems to fix all these issues.

At first I thought this might just be a faulty board, but it appears this is a common issue with this particular asus prime lineup of LGA 1700 socket boards.

It also appears that various memory kits listed as compatible on the ASUS website (mine included) cause the same issue. This is quite the fail considering the boards are advertised as being able to support up to DDR4 5000. So far no bios updates or confirmation from ASUS as to what's going on here.

Has anybody else here also experienced this problem, or have any idea as to what could be going on here?

Read your RAM's timings with Aida64 or CPU-Z or other tools, write them down on a piece of paper and then go and set them manually in your BIOS. 

IF you still experience issues, keep the timings for that frequency but lower the frequency, set it a step down to 3000 Mhz / 2933 Mhz - it would still be better than 2133 / 2400 Mhz.

From my personal experience, ASUS have some horrifyingly bad customer support. At this point I wish Kingston or EVGA start making motherboards...

So did that work? I see the answer is "accepted" but there's no word from @Lord_Montague. I am not familiar with the culture on the forum and not sure what to make of it.

I am currently planning out a build and all budget 12th gen mobos are made by Asus, otherwise they are either miniATX, only 2 RAM slots, or expensive. This would hinder the entire build. It also seems that there is a general XMP issue with these boards, not just the RAM sticks mentioned in the Reddit post (even if that's not the case, the ones posted are pretty much the only reasonably priced ones). To top it off, it is only sold by newegg (flashing back to the recent newegg/TechJesus battle 🙃

First time posting here, made an account for this.
Current setup was built yesterday:

• TUF Gaming B660M-PLUS WIFI D4
  • i5 12600KF
  • 2 x 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro at 3600Mhz

The RAM is listed as supported by ASUS, yet I fail to boot when enabling XMP. Currently running the stock 2133Mhz just so I can use the PC.

BIOS was updated to 1009, no change.
Is there any way to get ASUS's attention on the subject? Could it be intentional?

Hi all,

I also have the same problem.

I ran xmp but decrease the RAM frequency from 3600 MHz to 3500 MHz and it works.

We have to wait for the BIOS upgrade

On 2/12/2022 at 7:46 PM, John514 said:

• i5 12600KF

The RAM is listed as supported by ASUS, yet I fail to boot when enabling XMP. Currently running the stock 2133Mhz just so I can use the PC.

Is there any way to get ASUS's attention on the subject? Could it be intentional?

I read it in reddit, that for some people changing the RAM modules to other 2 slots worked fine. Please check and reply.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:59 AM, Gamer Guy said:

I read it in reddit, that for some people changing the RAM modules to other 2 slots worked fine. Please check and reply.

Thank you Gamer Guy, using slots 2 and 4 has fixed it for me. 

On 2/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, John514 said:

• i5 12600KF

I have a similar system to you and had the same problem with XMP.  Coincidentally I had just watched JayzTwoCents video on DDR5 memory and 12th gen problems.  So i thought I'd try setting the memory to 3600Mhz manually.  Sadly that didn't work!  However, I manually set it to 3200Mhz and it seems to work fine.

Not as good as 3600Mhz but better than 2133Mhz.

Capture.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

Today I also did a bios upgrade, but first.
- I have restored the factory settings of the bios
-then I did the upgrade.
I turned on the XMP profile and now my Crucial BL2K8G36C16U4WL RAM runs at the factory clock speed of 3600MHz. I did the test with TestMem5 v0.12 and there were no errors. Everything is OK while playing, so the new Bios version has improved the RAM performance.

Test RAM TestMem5.jpg

Upgrade Bios 1203.jpg

XMP profile 1.jpg

On 2/22/2022 at 7:59 AM, Gamer Guy said:

First of all, sorry for taking this long to reply. I didn't actually get any time to test this until I got the 'rona this Friday. I saw there were two new BIOS updates I hadnt tried so I tried those first, didnt work. Swapping the slots did infact fix it. Thank you very much. Any drawbacks of running the RAM in these slots?

I should also check what JerryM said above with a settings reset before updating. 🤔

On 4/3/2022 at 2:06 AM, John514 said:

Any drawbacks of running the RAM in these slots?

As longs as it works in dual channel and rated frequency (it will), there will be no drawbacks

• 2 months later...

Thank you Gamer Guy,

I didn't do any bios update the issue was -> using the slot 1 & 3 the black slots with XMP cause black screen.

Using slot 2 and 4 has fixed it for me on my PRIME B660M-A D4 i mean using the grey slots and activate the XMP 🙂

My ram is TEAMGROUP T-FORCE ZEUS 8 GO DDR4 / 3200 MHZ.

fwebp

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2022 at 10:35 PM, FunnyTN said:

Thank you Gamer Guy,

I didn't do any bios update the issue was -> using the slot 1 & 3 the black slots with XMP cause black screen.

Using slot 2 and 4 has fixed it for me on my PRIME B660M-A D4 i mean using the grey slots and activate the XMP 🙂

My ram is TEAMGROUP T-FORCE ZEUS 8 GO DDR4 / 3200 MHZ.

fwebp

I never tought i would love someone on the internet wihout knowing it at all but OHHH BOY I LOVE YOU.
Changing spots worked like a charm, full 3600hz, thanlk you!