Current build;

z170x-Gaming 7

i7-7700

GeForce GTX760

64gm Ram Aegis 2133

Samsung 960 Pro 512GB

Not sure of the name of the hdd 1T

Seasonic Prime Platinum 650w

I exclusively use it for design. I(I'm not a gamer at all, I work 10-16hrs a day/7days a week with the new start up) Use Corel Draw 2020. I have windows 10 -1903 - I keep it at that with no updates because every time windows would throw out an update, I couldn't print/cut or anything in my shop for days.  Most files I create are around the 20MB-30MB, alot around the 40MB and few or more a month are 70MB+. some of the rendering takes forever...30 seconds to 2 minutes after a click. I cannot get anything done at this pace. 

Full disclosure - I'm an idiot, not familiar with builds. I paid someone, who is big into gaming to build this 6 years ago and the rig has always had a bit of slowness when rendering. I have been trying to learn about building, though I am out of my ability at this time to figure out what to do as far as an upgrade to get better performance.

Not concerned about the cost of some of the components, I need the best I can get out of this rig for a few more years. This is how I pay my bills and by groceries, so its important.

Thanks and looking forward to everyone's thoughts?

A 7700k should actually be pretty great at what you are doing. But lets start with the basics first.

Can you install openhardwaremonitor and check the cpu temps during work?

Then when you try to render your workspace can you open task manager and put the cpu view into show all cores view? (right click the graph and you can see the option) check if there are cores being maxed out to 100% or if there are 2 or more flat at 50%.

Once you come back with that we can move forward.

I usually run Task Manager all the time to watch to see if it locks up and need to shut it down or when its done with a file so I can move to the next task. 

I just opened a file that was giving me some headaches 78MB, the CPU bounced to 15 them up to 34 then flat lined back to 15% and stayed there (it usually works at that and occasionally has wacked out and bounce around 40 to maxed at 90+ every few months) It took about a minute to open.

Ok got it to view the individual processors, it opens as 8 (numbers 0-7) even though its a 4 core. 

#2 maxes out when I do anything. the remaining 7 show little usage.

Was fooling around with the design to see what it would do and just #2 maxed. wil not doing anything and working at the desk, it randomly pegged all 8 graphs and all looked like heart monitors for about 10=15 seconds and settled down. with no impute from me

Edited by SwedishDude

44 minutes ago, SwedishDude said:

Ok got it to view the individual processors, it opens as 8 (numbers 0-7) even though its a 4 core. 

That's normal. The 7700K is a four-core, eight-thread processor (Hyper-threading as Intel calls it). Task manager shows all the threads - can be a little confusing.

I'd replace the HDD with a second NVMe drive.

You might use cpu-z (cpuid.com) to see if the memory is operating in dual channel mode at the rated speed.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thanks, still learning. I know just enough about this to get into trouble....but not get out, lol. I just always had a gnarly work load that I never really t the time to get as educated as most of the people here. Another reason I'm reaching out to this community. You all build, and know the intricacies of what works and what doesn't. I don't know WTF to do to get this dialed in. I have had to do a crash course on the basics last year because the power went out and I didn't know what happened and the guy that built this rig is MIA???? so spent days reading and finally got it going again. I don't have that luxury to got down that rabbit hole at this time. In part, I also make Fuel Mats for the environment, so the racers don't leach spilt fuel into the sand & dirt. That is starting to take off and still no employees in site. I mean NO BODY. (same for alot of businesses) So I am a 1 man shop killing myself 7 days week designing, cutting, sewing and selling at the events. Plus to add I make whip flags from here to the Middle East and taking half a day or more to design something for a 500k sand car that should take a few hours....SUCKS, because the computer is lagging.. 

So I need some help

I just seen your post @brob I will go there and see, thanks

I was looking at replacing the HHD with a 2T .

Not sure if this is a good idea, was thinking of swapping out the current 960 Pro with a newer 980 Pro 1T for the Cdrive?

Edited by SwedishDude

1 hour ago, SwedishDude said:

I just seen your post @brob I will go there and see, thanks

I was looking at replacing the HHD with a 2T .

Not sure if this is a good idea, was thinking of swapping out the current 960 Pro with a newer 980 Pro 1T for the Cdrive?

You won't see much of an improvement replacing the 960 with a 980 Pro. The much higher performance of the 980 Pro requires PCIe 4.0 lanes. The motherboard uses PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Replacing the HDD with an NVMe drive should offer some improvement.

Have you considered a new system?

@brobI would love to build a new rig properly, though this C19 business killer...Small Business Killer. Has really put a thrashing on me, my business and funds. I didn't get a Fu***** dime for any of the relief.  I am an owner/officer of a business that has no employees because it can't afford to pay me and I can't claim unemployment as a owner/officer even though I take no money. Sold nearly every thing I own to keep it going and by groceries. Plus a BK this time last year to stop the bleeding, isn't going to help the situation. Simply trying to get material & supplies and keep the rent paid for the shop. They just raised my rent 40% this month per sq ft on top of it. Business has picked up in the last few months but not enough for a full build. LOL I need tires more. 

The computer works, just not to the level i think it should or could. I was hoping the computer could be monkied with to get a little more, though I am starting to believe this rig is pretty much topped out. If it is, what it is, then? bummer 

I will circle back another time for insight to a bigger & better rig

I will replace the HHD though, that seems like a no brainer.

Thanks

5 hours ago, brob said:

The other thing you might consider is faster memory.

I don't see how either is going to help op at all? The 7700k doesn't make use of faster memory really and if the project is on a nvme drive already it's more than fine. Hell even on a hdd it's fine since these are small files because coreldraw is a vector based program. Your solutions will lead to nothing for op.

13 hours ago, SwedishDude said:

usually run Task Manager all the time to watch to see if it locks up and need to shut it down or when its done with a file so I can move to the next task. 

I just opened a file that was giving me some headaches 78MB, the CPU bounced to 15 them up to 34 then flat lined back to 15% and stayed there (it usually works at that and occasionally has wacked out and bounce around 40 to maxed at 90+ every few months) It took about a minute to open.

#2 maxes out when I do anything. the remaining 7 show little usage.

Was fooling around with the design to see what it would do and just #2 maxed. wil not doing anything and working at the desk, it randomly pegged all 8 graphs and all looked like heart monitors for about 10=15 seconds and settled down. with no impute from me

Ok so after doing some more research this is expected behavior and coreldraw 2020 and 2021 have become MASSIVE performance gobblers since more cores are now available on consumer cpu's So basically you are fighting against bad software optimization here which sadly is not going to be fixed ever.

So my recommendation would then be to move to a new platform maybe a i7 12700 + b660 + new ram board? You could use what you have now but 2133mhz really hold those cpu's back since they started relying on fast memory.

@jaslionOk, cool  thanks for the insight that Corel was the problem. I figured as much. I'm not doing the bad ass rendering like those on Deviant Art, though what I do is enough to cause this thing to "stutter". 

After some reading, I realized the memory may be an issue, that its at the bottom of the DDR4 spectrum. though the i7-7700 specs say it can only use 2400. doesn't seem like a big jump?

Not sure what other platform to build on? I was budgeting 1k for some upgrades for now to this rig.

By platform, you mean new mother board?  

44 minutes ago, SwedishDude said:

@jaslionOk, cool  thanks for the insight that Corel was the problem. I figured as much. I'm not doing the bad ass rendering like those on Deviant Art, though what I do is enough to cause this thing to "stutter". 

After some reading, I realized the memory may be an issue, that its at the bottom of the DDR4 spectrum. though the i7-7700 specs say it can only use 2400. doesn't seem like a big jump?

Not sure what other platform to build on? I was budgeting 1k for some upgrades for now to this rig.

While raw speed is important in memory performance, timings play a significant role especially in memory intensive tasks. I'm not familiar with Corel rendering, other cpu rendering engines I've worked with do show a small improvement with better timings.

But getting new memory is just nibbling around the edges of the problem. Verifying that memory is running an xms profile in dual channel may help if the memory is misconfigured. But otherwise, the cost of new memory would probably be better saved towards a system replacement.

6 hours ago, SwedishDude said:

As I said memory doesn't matter here since your 7700k isn't a cpu that really leverages faster or slower ram. Officialy it supports 2400mhz out of the box. With xmp profiles you could in theory go to 5000mhz or beyond. not that it's going to matter.

New platform I do mean new socket so yes new board cpu and possibly ram.

5 hours ago, brob said:

While raw speed is important in memory performance, timings play a significant role especially in memory intensive tasks. I'm not familiar with Corel rendering, other cpu rendering engines I've worked with do show a small improvement with better timings.

But getting new memory is just nibbling around the edges of the problem. Verifying that memory is running an xms profile in dual channel may help if the memory is misconfigured. But otherwise, the cost of new memory would probably be better saved towards a system replacement.

You can see corel currently as a much less efficient version of illustrator. So basically good single core performance is needed for using it and nice multicore for rendering stuff.

I have looked at Adobe, may have to learn that in the interim of getting a bigger rig.

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice 🤙

On 2/12/2022 at 1:49 AM, SwedishDude said:

I have looked at Adobe, may have to learn that in the interim of getting a bigger rig.

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's advice 🤙

Personally I recommend anything but adobe (as an avid user of adobe products themselves) as their quality has disintigrated and it's all a big pile of crap now basically. To the point that as a paying customer I had to PIRATE version 2015 because they didn't want to pay for a license they were illegaly using.

Might want to take a look at affinity they have a good illustrator competitor too.