Need some help with PS4 digital game region locks.

CPT_BEEMO

A colleague of mine at work sent his younger cousin his old PS4, preloaded with some games like Spiderman, Fortnite etc. For perspective, he is in Canada, his cousin is in the Ukraine. His cousin got his PS4 safely delivered, powered it on and what do ya know, couldnt access the predownloaded titles due to some kind of region lock. 

Im asking on his behalf for some help, his cousin was kind of shattered when he got his console and couldnt do anything with it. I am sure there is a workaround for digital copies of games being purchased in one region and being able to play them in another. I have a PIA VPN and I havent hit my registered device limit, so I am happy to lend that to them if needed.

Thanks in advance!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Is it specifically a region lock? There's also the "main console" lock for digital content.

Assuming the console is set as the primary PS4, he may need to create a Canadian PSN account. From there, he should be able to login and use those games. On the PS3, I was able to purchase a PAL game (PS1 game that had some PAL exclusive content) by using a PAL PSN account and Paypal. I could launch it from my US account though, so I'm not sure what might be different with the PS4.