RTX 3060ti vs GTX 1080ti

Be Rock

My wife is using an ASUS branded GTX 1080ti that I installed an Artic Accellero III cooler on. It was previously used in my old gaming machine but since I have haven't really played any PC games in a few years, it made more sense to put it in her gaming machine.

It's been a great card and still manages 1440p at 165Hz at Ultra settings on her library of games.

I'm thinking about putting together a 12th gen Intel system and want to get a card that can keep up. I'm not really interested in the 3080 or 3090 since they are so power-hungry and hot that I really just don't want them. I've heard good things about the 3070, but what really shocked me were the comparisons between the 1080ti and the 3060ti. Obviously the 30 series is ray-tracing capable and the 10 series is not but... I don't care. None of the games we play take advantage of that anyway so I won't be missing out.

Has anyone out there done a good comparison of these two cards? How do they compare in non-RT titles?

I paid a little over $800 for my 1080ti new back in 2017 so, if the 3060ti is able to match its performance at about the same price, it isn't a terrible deal (not a good deal either, but at least it makes a sort of sense).

All of that being said, I am not in a hurry and am totally happy to wait for Intel's GPUs to hit.

Depending on where you are buying a GPU from, the Newegg shuffle has GPU's for sale closer to MSRP if you can snag one. It's essentially a raffle for the ability to buy a GPU.

In most situations, the 1080 Ti is only slightly behind the 3060 Ti. It's measurable and consistent, but it's in the low single digit improvements. The 1080 Ti is basically (within the past ~15 years) the best value Nvidia card ever made, because it is still outperforming midrange cards 5 years later. I would be more than fine with keeping the 1080 Ti in that system an not giving it a GPU upgrade. I would only consider upgrading if you got a 3070/6800 or better, since the improvements you'd see with lower cards is barely anything. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

In most situations, the 1080 Ti is only slightly behind the 3060 Ti. It's measurable and consistent, but it's in the low single digit improvements. The 1080 Ti is basically (within the past ~15 years) the best value Nvidia card ever made, because it is still outperforming midrange cards 5 years later. I would be more than fine with keeping the 1080 Ti in that system an not giving it a GPU upgrade. I would only consider upgrading if you got a 3070/6800 or better, since the improvements you'd see with lower cards is barely anything. 

I guess I was not super clear - I gave the 1080ti to my wife and don't plan on taking it back. It's hers at this point. I am looking to purchase a new GPU and was trying to decide if the 3060ti is a good value compared to the 1080ti in non-RT titles. I haven't seen a lot of good comparisons that didn't focus on RT features that I won't be making any use of.

Just now, Be Rock said:

I guess I was not super clear - I gave the 1080ti to my wife and don't plan on taking it back. It's hers at this point. I am looking to purchase a new GPU and was trying to decide if the 3060ti is a good value compared to the 1080ti in non-RT titles.

Oh, that makes a bit more sense. For the like $50-100 more you'd spend on a 3060 Ti, I probably would go for the newer card since it will have longer driver support, and there are other advantages to Ampere outside of just gaming, like it's way better CUDA cores and DLSS support. You can't really go wrong either way, but the newer card is probably worth it for the extra stuff outside of that.

That said, I'd try getting one of those cards at MSRP. AMD Direct is a good option if you want to try going for a 6800/6800XT for $580/650 respectively and will perform excellently. They do that every Thursday morning 10AM EST, and there are ways to improve your chances at one. Get in those discord drop servers for when the cards release on Best Buy. They tend to drop about once a month on a Thursday, but they're not super consistent for when the drop. Either way, when they do, you can get a 3060 Ti/3070 in your card and check out if you do it quickly enough. There are other ways to get a card from like EVGA B-Stock, but that's even less consistent. 

Basically, get in the Discord Drop servers (there's like 4 of them) and wait for the notification and buy the card as fast as you can. If you have any questions about how to go about getting one, I'm more than willing to help, I've personally gotten something like 5 different GPUs since the shortage, all for MSRP, so I can give you some tips for how to get them.

Most of the tests are done with RT off, on any review channel. If there is a RT specific comparisson they do say it in the videos/reviews.

11 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Basically, get in the Discord Drop servers (there's like 4 of them) and wait for the notification and buy the card as fast as you can. If you have any questions about how to go about getting one, I'm more than willing to help, I've personally gotten something like 5 different GPUs since the shortage, all for MSRP, so I can give you some tips for how to get them.

I appreciate the offer.

I live about an 90 minutes from a Microcenter store in the Midwest so I'll be doing my shopping there. Looks like I can grab a 3060ti for about $700. Still nowhere near the $399 MSRP on that card but...very little you can do about it. As long as everyone keeps talking about the "chip shortage" like its a real thing, companies will feel justified in inflating prices. Until people stop paying inflated prices, the prices will stay high.

Hopefully Intel changes this and forces prices back to sane levels.

The 1080 Ti and 3060 Ti may be similar in performance but remember games have gotten a lot more demanding since the 1080 Ti launched. If you want a card that had comparable performance to what the 1080 Ti had back then then you’re looking at a 3080 or higher. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

7 hours ago, KhakiHat said:

Depending on where you are buying a GPU from, the Newegg shuffle has GPU's for sale closer to MSRP if you can snag one. It's essentially a raffle for the ability to buy a GPU.

I won in my first try, so...