can't set ram to rated speed after updating BOIS

poveros
Go to solution Solved by Frizz,
23 minutes ago, poveros said:

so i downgraded the bois last night that didnt seem to change anything. still the same issue, then cleared CMOS no change either but then i tired the ram thing. honestly i had an inclination that this might be the problem but i didnt want it to be. (this being the fact that i have two different kits of ram installed in my pc corsair vengace pros 32 gig kit and gskill trident z 16 gig kit. they were the same speed) so i removed the gskill kit and it worked got the speed and timing working 

all of this came from just me trying to fix the problem from my first post thinking maybe updating my bios and chipset and all that would fix it given my DP cable wasnt looking like the problem. thank you for answering and helping me get this fixed

No problem, yeah regardless of what LTT says don't mix RAM they are so temperamental XD 

so i updated my BOIS  on my ASUS ROG Maximums XI Hero and after posting i went in to set all my settings back up turning on xmp and setting my overclock and all that kinda stuff. i hit the restart to save and the post failed i went into the bois a couple of times turning on and off different settings for a while it kept failing to post until i finally nailed down what was causing it. doing anything with ram.  turned on xmp that failed set the speed timings and voltage manually that still caused it to fail. 

been able to boot into windows finally but with my ram at 2133. any reason this would be the case?

3 hours ago, poveros said:

so i updated my BOIS  on my ASUS ROG Maximums XI Hero and after posting i went in to set all my settings back up turning on xmp and setting my overclock and all that kinda stuff. i hit the restart to save and the post failed i went into the bois a couple of times turning on and off different settings for a while it kept failing to post until i finally nailed down what was causing it. doing anything with ram.  turned on xmp that failed set the speed timings and voltage manually that still caused it to fail. 

been able to boot into windows finally but with my ram at 2133. any reason this would be the case?

Sometimes a bad BIOS version does happen.

Try a CMOS clear just to be sure all values are set right, then try to set it again.

You could then try going to one stick of RAM to see if that stick (or any stick) can hold that value. Narrow down if any stick is acting up. Make sure to use the slot the MB identifies as the main slot for one stick of RAM 

If they all do it, then honestly I would downgrade my BIOS if you used the newest 

8 hours ago, Frizz said:

Sometimes a bad BIOS version does happen.

Try a CMOS clear just to be sure all values are set right, then try to set it again.

You could then try going to one stick of RAM to see if that stick (or any stick) can hold that value. Narrow down if any stick is acting up. Make sure to use the slot the MB identifies as the main slot for one stick of RAM 

If they all do it, then honestly I would downgrade my BIOS if you used the newest 

so i downgraded the bois last night that didnt seem to change anything. still the same issue, then cleared CMOS no change either but then i tired the ram thing. honestly i had an inclination that this might be the problem but i didnt want it to be. (this being the fact that i have two different kits of ram installed in my pc corsair vengace pros 32 gig kit and gskill trident z 16 gig kit. they were the same speed) so i removed the gskill kit and it worked got the speed and timing working 

all of this came from just me trying to fix the problem from my first post thinking maybe updating my bios and chipset and all that would fix it given my DP cable wasnt looking like the problem. thank you for answering and helping me get this fixed

23 minutes ago, poveros said:

No problem, yeah regardless of what LTT says don't mix RAM they are so temperamental XD 

9 minutes ago, Frizz said:

would i just need to get the exact same kit or could that have the same issues?

9 minutes ago, poveros said:

would i just need to get the exact same kit or could that have the same issues?

Ideally get the same kit as the one you want to use/keep. Sometimes they can mix and match but best to keep it easy and simple