PC keeps crashing after some minutes of playing games.

Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
15 minutes ago, Kranzn said:

Hello and thanks for your help in advance,

I recently got myself a 2nd (3rd) monitor. Eversince my PC keeps crashing after some game time. Weird enough it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes I can play Apex Legends or Final Fantasy XIV all day, another day it takes a few hours and I can forget about playing completely. Turning my second monitor off, doesn't seem to make a difference. Since it's been happening for 2 weeks now (in total 3 days of crashes), I feel like investigating further. First monitor is 3840x1080 (120Hz), second monitor 2560x1440(165HZ). Both are connected to an RTX 2080TI via DP. One of the three fans on my GPU has me concerned, cause it's a little lose but other than that it is spinning just fine. 

I have no idea what I should be looking for. I've tried looking at temperatures, but I can't spot anything extraordinary. GPU remains around 80°C under load, while its memory goes up to 95°C, CPU (i7 9700K) levels around 70-80°C as well.
PSU is 700W.

I'm thankful for any assistance.

That power supply is pretty weak for a system like that. Running 2 screens will add extra load and makes things even worse. 

Consider a brand name PSU 850W or greater for your setup.

I recently got myself a 2nd (3rd) monitor. Eversince my PC keeps crashing after some game time. Weird enough it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes I can play Apex Legends or Final Fantasy XIV all day, another day it takes a few hours and I can forget about playing completely. Turning my second monitor off, doesn't seem to make a difference. Since it's been happening for 2 weeks now (in total 3 days of crashes), I feel like investigating further. First monitor is 3840x1080 (120Hz), second monitor 2560x1440(165HZ). Both are connected to an RTX 2080TI via DP. One of the three fans on my GPU has me concerned, cause it's a little lose but other than that it is spinning just fine. 

I have no idea what I should be looking for. I've tried looking at temperatures, but I can't spot anything extraordinary. GPU remains around 80°C under load, while its memory goes up to 95°C, CPU (i7 9700K) levels around 70-80°C as well.
PSU is 700W.

3 minutes ago, Kranzn said:

PSU is 700W.

start looking at powerdraw instead. you are using powerhungry equipment. 

15 minutes ago, Kranzn said:

PSU is 700W.

That power supply is pretty weak for a system like that. Running 2 screens will add extra load and makes things even worse. 

6 minutes ago, Robchil said:

start looking at powerdraw instead. you are using powerhungry equipment. 

What would I be looking at? My PC is connected to a different outlet, so I assumed it would be fine. Under load my CPU peaks at about 125W, while my GPU goes up to about 260W. Are you hinting towards the 3rd monitor being the little extra to exceed my PSU's limit, since MB, etc. require some juice as well? Got 2 SSDs, 3 HDDs, a sound card and a CD drive built in. Figured 700W would be more than enough to cover it all.

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

God damnit...somehow I knew this was gonna happen when building it. I'll try upgrading and report back. Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Kranzn said:

What would I be looking at? My PC is connected to a different outlet, so I assumed it would be fine. Under load my CPU peaks at about 125W, while my GPU goes up to about 260W. Are you hinting towards the 3rd monitor being the little extra to exceed my PSU's limit, since MB, etc. require some juice as well? Got 2 SSDs, 3 HDDs, a sound card and a CD drive built in. Figured 700W would be more than enough to cover it all.

Well the 2080ti has been knows to consume upwards of 300 watts and I would expect you wouldn't notice the peak power draw as that is likely when you crash. Also the 9700k can easily consume more than 125watts. Something also to remember is that not all psus are equal and a crappy 700 watt psu under load might cause it to deliver less than optimal voltage to your components causing instability. You always want to have a psu with a good amount of headroom as running at high load is bad for efficiency and is harder on the caps in the psu. 

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Well the 2080ti has been knows to consume upwards of 300 watts and I would expect you wouldn't notice the peak power draw as that is likely when you crash. Also the 9700k can easily consume more than 125watts. Something also to remember is that not all psus are equal and a crappy 700 watt psu under load might cause it to deliver less than optimal voltage to your components causing instability. You always want to have a psu with a good amount of headroom as running at high load is bad for efficiency and is harder on the caps in the psu. 

Applefreak suggested a 850W PSU and since all of you come to the same conclusion it has indeed to be my problem. I've been looking at a "be quiet! Straight Power 11 850w Gold", I'm not so sure I want to up the price by at least 40€ to get a platinum. Will it suffice though?

Edit: Nevermind, Plat is only 20€ more expensive, I can live with that.

32 minutes ago, Kranzn said:

Applefreak suggested a 850W PSU and since all of you come to the same conclusion it has indeed to be my problem. I've been looking at a "be quiet! Straight Power 11 850w Gold", I'm not so sure I want to up the price by at least 40€ to get a platinum. Will it suffice though?

Edit: Nevermind, Plat is only 20€ more expensive, I can live with that.

Yeah the lowest recommended psu fir a 2080ti is a 750 watt with 850 being preferable. Also the 2080ti has been know to be pretty finicky when it comes to power. I had to replace my 750 watt psu as it would crash due to power instability with my 2080ti when it first came out. Switched to a 850 watt corsair psu and haven't had an issue since. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Yeah the lowest recommended psu fir a 2080ti is a 750 watt with 850 being preferable. Also the 2080ti has been know to be pretty finicky when it comes to power. I had to replace my 750 watt psu as it would crash due to power instability with my 2080ti when it first came out. Switched to a 850 watt corsair psu and haven't had an issue since. 

Do you run a triple monitor setup? I'm a little worried 850W might not be enough, if you run a single or double setup and it's barely enough. Got no reference values I could use as guide.

8 minutes ago, Kranzn said:

Do you run a triple monitor setup? I'm a little worried 850W might not be enough, if you run a single or double setup and it's barely enough. Got no reference values I could use as guide.

Honestly I run a double monitor setup granted I was playing at 4k when I was crashing as that was when it was running with the highest power draw. More specifically it was assassins creed odyssey was the game where it would struggle as it is a very demanding game for both cpu and gpu making the power draw spike pretty high at times. If you get a good quality 850 watt psu you should be fine. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I run a double monitor setup granted I was playing at 4k when I was crashing as that was when it was running with the highest power draw. More specifically it was assassins creed odyssey was the game where it would struggle as it is a very demanding game for both cpu and gpu making the power draw spike pretty high at times. If you get a good quality 850 watt psu you should be fine. 

Then I'll do just that, thank you very much!