Running CPU OC while doing nothing.

LordWk
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
4 minutes ago, LordWk said:

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue so sorry for asking again in simple terms:

There should be no problem with the CPU staying at 4.3GHz on idle if the temps and voltage are as told before?

There will be no problems with your cpu.

Hi!

I think I've got lucky and my R5 3600 is stable running at 4.3GHz at 1.17v (That is the max volt I set in the BIOS, however CPU-Z says that its running around 1.21v.

Temps are cool, never getting past 73Cº (only in very demanding games, usually it sits in 60Cº in the rest of the games) and around 44ªC on idle.

Does it have any impact in the long term if the CPU is running at 4.3GHz while doing *nothing* (taking in mind that its cool and stable)

ps: I did this because it got me rid of the insane power and temperature random spikes that Ryzen 3000's had. Sometimes even opening chrome the voltage, frecuency and temps went very high for a couple of seconds. But with this OC I got rid of it.

2ps: also powerdraw went down by quite a lot when stressing the CPU with this settings.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

7 minutes ago, LordWk said:

ps: I did this because it got me rid of the insane power and temperature random spikes that Ryzen 3000's had. Sometimes even opening chrome the voltage, frecuency and temps went very high for a couple of seconds. But with this OC I got rid of it.

2ps: also powerdraw went down by quite a lot when stressing the CPU with this settings.

That is working as intended, It will boost a single core to max boost it can to do the task as quickly as possible and then save more energy. This is working as intended.

Your overclock is actually a undervolted oc which means that at max load it will consume less than the 4.3ghz all core on auto boost would. Basically you got a good cpu that can do this as this is not guaranteed.

Powerdraw in full load is less but will be noticeably more at idle. Since the cpu stays high in clocks.

As for life expectancy. No problem you are well within it's voltage limit and it will long outlive it'se usefulness.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That is working as intended, It will boost a single core to max boost it can to do the task as quickly as possible and then save more energy. This is working as intended.

Your overclock is actually a undervolted oc which means that at max load it will consume less than the 4.3ghz all core on auto boost would. Basically you got a good cpu that can do this as this is not guaranteed.

Powerdraw in full load is less but will be noticeably more at idle. Since the cpu stays high in clocks.

As for life expectancy. No problem you are well within it's voltage limit and it will long outlive it'se usefulness.

Sorry, english is not my mother tongue so sorry for asking again in simple terms:

There should be no problem with the CPU staying at 4.3GHz on idle if the temps and voltage are as told before?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

4 minutes ago, LordWk said:

There will be no problems with your cpu.

i suggest stressing that with prime95 small(est) ffts to actually make sure its stable

id consider that an undervolt and an oc since it seems like you are going 100mhz above stock boost but at lower volts. You may have a good chip so if you ever need more performance i guess theres a decent amount of headroom in that cpu, dont be conservative with volts cause that ruins oc but thats if you are doing a performance focused oc (max 1.45v), an efficiency focused one you want to run the highest speed at the lowest volt aka just below diminishing returns zone which it seems like your cpu is at with this oc, though you may be able to squeeze a little more while keeping it efficient