NVME Heatsink? and Which slot (cpu vs chipset)?

So I'm just getting some opinions. I have my new build I'm doing tomorrow MSI Z690-A DDR4 w 12900K, I'll be using my old 980 Pro 1TB and 500GB. First question: My use case is VERY HEAVILY geared towards video edits, tons and tons of 4K footage that I'll be going through on my editing drive (the 1TB). I've been told to install this to the chipset slot, and the system drive (500GB) to the CPU slot. My question is, if I'm trying to squeeze out the best performance WHILE I'm editing shouldn't I reverse that and put my system drive on the chipset? I literally don't do ANYTHING on my computer aside from emails, internet and busy work, rarely gaming. Am I missing something like video rendering potentially using temporary files on my system drive? Will the performance difference even be significant?

Secondly, my new motherboard only has 1 heatsink. Should I get another? (the way it is now I'd probably heatsink my editing drive and leave the system drive with no heatsink). If it's a lifespan issue, I'm planning this build for only 2 years of use.

1 minute ago, MarkAnthony121 said:

Great help . . .

point is slot one uses PCIE from CPU, and slot two uses chipset. so "slower".. normaly you won't notice this, but as you perfectly figured out how you should have it. heatsink on the work drive in slot 1. 

life expectancy... my 960 pro are now 4 years and have degraded 2%.. they run in a raid stripe to maximize the speed and use 30GB on RAM disk to max speed.  i'm not worried for you.. 

1 hour ago, Robchil said:

point is slot one uses PCIE from CPU, and slot two uses chipset. so "slower".. normaly you won't notice this, but as you perfectly figured out how you should have it. heatsink on the work drive in slot 1. 

The chipset isn't slower though, as long as you use the correct slot/s. The MSI board has 3 x Gen 4 x 4 M.2 slots (One from the cpu and 2 from the chipset) and 1 x Gen 3 x 4 slot from the chipset.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

The chipset isn't slower though, as long as you use the correct slot/s. The MSI board has 3 x Gen 4 x 4 M.2 slots (One from the cpu and 2 from the chipset) and 1 x Gen 3 x 4 slot from the chipset.

problem is PCIE lanes in the end..  how many do you start with? . 16 for the GPU. 4 for first m.2.. and the rest?  you'll run out before your done. 

6 minutes ago, Robchil said:

problem is PCIE lanes in the end..  how many do you start with? . 16 for the GPU. 4 for first m.2.. and the rest?  you'll run out before your done. 

Alder Lake has 1x16 PCIe5 (or 2x8 PCIe5) lanes and 1x4 PCIe4 lanes directly from CPU. The Chipset (via x8 DMI 4.0) has 12 PCIe4 lanes (which can be divided into PCIe3 lanes or anyway the manufacturer wants).

The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 has 3x4PCIe4 m.2 (1 from CPU and 2 from Chiptset) and 1x4PCIe3 m.2 (chipset), so you can run 3 gen4 nvme drives without a problem.

7 minutes ago, Robchil said:

How will you run out ? 

This shows the M.2 slot layout. The ones in Red are Gen 4 and the one in Blue is Gen 3. 

M.2.jpg

3 minutes ago, NighhhT said:

Alder Lake has 1x16 PCIe5 (or 2x8 PCIe5) lanes and 1x4 PCIe4 lanes directly from CPU. The Chipset (via x8 DMI 4.0) has 12 PCIe4 lanes (which can be divided into PCIe3 lanes or anyway the manufacturer wants).

The MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 has 3x4PCIe4 m.2 (1 from CPU and 2 from Chiptset) and 1x4PCIe3 m.2 (chipset), so you can run 3 gen4 nvme drives without a problem.

sweet.. no issue then.. i havn't read up on all specs on 690..