Playing an N64 on a modern HDTV

dimforest

I've seen a bunch of converters online but I've read a ton of mixed reviews on them stating audio might not work or the picture is super dark. I noticed there are mods out there but I'm not lookign to get that crazy... I just want to be able to hook up the N64 and have it be playable. 

What are the go-to options to make old systems work? I figured 8bitdo would have had something but I didn't see anything.

11 minutes ago, dimforest said:

I've seen a bunch of converters online but I've read a ton of mixed reviews on them stating audio might not work or the picture is super dark. I noticed there are mods out there but I'm not lookign to get that crazy... I just want to be able to hook up the N64 and have it be playable. 

What are the go-to options to make old systems work? I figured 8bitdo would have had something but I didn't see anything.

Generally if you want it to look decent you HAVE to go crazy, as you saw the cheap options tend to have their quirks.

Personally I stick to emulation.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

ive herd that the open source scan converter (ossc) is quite good but ive not tried it nor know where to point you to get one

not all gamers hate furries some gamers are furries myself included.

my system                                

i5 - 12400f

PRIME H610M -A D4

16gb ddr4 3200mhz

Asus Gtx 970

275gb ssd 128gb hdd

used 650w 80 plus gold

1080p flatron E2240s

stock intel coller

logitech pc speakers (dont remember model number lol)

windows 11 home

If your tv has an analog input jack on the back in the form of a yellow 3.5mm jack then you just plug the 64 into that. Thats how mine is connected and it works perfect.

Well the best method--short of soldering on the board directly--is probably RetroTink + M-Classic.  I think with S-Video cables.  Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure this is my setup.

Short of that, maybe EON or the individual cables that RetroTink is based on *edit* the Rad2x.

p.s.

the general consensus is that composite > S-video = clarity.  s-video > RGB = color accuracy.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

If your tv has an analog input jack on the back in the form of a yellow 3.5mm jack then you just plug the 64 into that. Thats how mine is connected and it works perfect.

that'll only get you 480p/i tho

not all gamers hate furries some gamers are furries myself included.

my system                                

i5 - 12400f

PRIME H610M -A D4

16gb ddr4 3200mhz

Asus Gtx 970

275gb ssd 128gb hdd

used 650w 80 plus gold

1080p flatron E2240s

stock intel coller

logitech pc speakers (dont remember model number lol)

windows 11 home

6 minutes ago, maxwastaken said:

that'll only get you 480p/i tho

Dont know if you know this but the n64 is a 480p/i console.

Unless they value anti aliasing an environment that has no way of adding geometry or texture resolution , then 480 is acceptable for most people playing an extremely old console. Similarly to me i also find little to no value in rending scenes at higher resolutions when theres absolutely nothing to see

11 minutes ago, emosun said:

Dont know if you know this but the n64 is a 480p/i console.

Unless they value anti aliasing an environment that has no way of adding geometry or texture resolution , then 480 is acceptable for most people playing an extremely old console. Similarly to me i also find little to no value in rending scenes at higher resolutions when theres absolutely nothing to see

There's a few vids on youtube about using an M-Classic with the RetroTink on N64.  The results are amazing.  480 is definitely not the limit.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

There's a few vids on youtube about using an M-Classic with the RetroTink on N64.  The results are amazing.  480 is definitely not the limit.

Nobody claimed 480 was the limit

I'm not looking to improve picture quality or do anything crazy. I just want the system to display and be functional, really. 480p is absolutely fine for this case. I just don't have an older TV with the correct inputs.

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

what tv is it

So you asked this and I don't know why the hell I didn't just check this before... but both of the TV's it'd be plugged into actually have the appropriate RGB inputs.... 

Well I'm a moron.

Thanks for prompting me to check, LOL

*Note* This is not my vid ^.  This is just something I used as research when buying.

My setup:

-Insurrection Industries S-Video Cable

https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/nintendo-s-video/

-RetroTink x2 Pro

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x-pro

Marseille mClassic

https://www.marseilleinc.com/mclassic/

I also have a Pellican switcher box with s-video input that I also have my SNES hooked to.