GPU shuts down during gameplay

BluePear
Go to solution Solved by DoctorNick,
38 minutes ago, BluePear said:

Thanks for the response. I'll try your suggestions, as soon as I get a chance.

XMP profile at 3200 MHz should be fine with the 9900K. And the CPU overclock of 4.7 GHz should be stable, and has been for the last 19 months I have used the system.

The system does not crash. Audio still plays. It's just the fans ramping up and the GPU delivering no more output until I restart. I'm not sure if it's only the GPU fans or all fans. I'll check it later.

System:

• i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200
  • PSU: Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold
  • EVGA RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 200R

Ok if audio still plays, it may be gpu related. Are you able to alt+f4 the game? I have experience crashes with my 9700k @5ghz that would only affect the GPU driver and maybe also display at some point. Haven't really paid much attention to it. Only thing was it helped upping the vcore.  Also your OC might be unstable after a while.. My OC have gone "bad" severel times, changing with windows versions, bios etc. So keep that in mind. I would personally just backup my OC settings and try default to try replicating the issue

My EVGA RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming shuts down during gameplay and the GPU fans go to max RPM. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it happens almost immediately.

What I have tried so far:

• Disabled all overclocks and set GPU power limit to 80%
  • Changed PSU (Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold)
  • GPU repaste/clean
  • Removed NVMe SSD sitting between CPU Cooler and GPU that was regularly going to temps in the 60s

The GPU temps under load are usually in the high 70s to low 80s.

6 minutes ago, BluePear said:

My EVGA RTX 2080 Super Black Gaming shuts down during gameplay and the GPU fans go to max RPM. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it happens almost immediately.

What I have tried so far:

• Disabled all overclocks and set GPU power limit to 80%
  • Changed PSU (Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold)
  • GPU repaste/clean
  • Removed NVMe SSD sitting between CPU Cooler and GPU that was regularly going to temps in the 60s

Welcome to the forums!

Does the screen go black and all fans (not only GPU) run at 100% until the PC resets itself (restart)

What are your specs? Have you tried clearing CMOS?`If you run memory above specified for your CPU, try running on default by disabling XMP/DOCP. If you got a overclock on the CPU, disable that too.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

@BluePearHow do you know the problem is related to GPU? Sounds more like your system is going unresponsive (hard crash, no error), which can cause things like fans going full speed. But like do you still hear game music in your headphones or some other indicator that the rest of the system is still operating? 

Can you give us full specs?

34 minutes ago, BluePear said:

Depending on the exact type of load and your case, that seems high. When you repasted, did you cover the entire die?

4 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Welcome to the forums!

Does the screen go black and all fans (not only GPU) run at 100% until the PC resets itself (restart)

What are your specs? Have you tried clearing CMOS?`If you run memory above specified for your CPU, try running on default by disabling XMP/DOCP. If you got a overclock on the CPU, disable that too.

XMP profile at 3200 MHz should be fine with the 9900K. And the CPU overclock of 4.7 GHz should be stable, and has been for the last 19 months I have used the system.

The system does not crash. Audio still plays. It's just the fans ramping up and the GPU delivering no more output until I restart. I'm not sure if it's only the GPU fans or all fans. I'll check it later.

System:

• i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz

38 minutes ago, BluePear said:

System:

• i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz

Ok if audio still plays, it may be gpu related. Are you able to alt+f4 the game? I have experience crashes with my 9700k @5ghz that would only affect the GPU driver and maybe also display at some point. Haven't really paid much attention to it. Only thing was it helped upping the vcore.  Also your OC might be unstable after a while.. My OC have gone "bad" severel times, changing with windows versions, bios etc. So keep that in mind. I would personally just backup my OC settings and try default to try replicating the issue

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Sorry, I spoke too soon. After clearing CMOS, running with no CPU overclock and XMP, it's still happening.

Alt+F4 does not change anything.

I also noticed that the sound does NOT keep playing all the time. The game sound is always gone and other sound sometimes plays, and sometimes doesn't. Sometimes the system restarts itself, sometimes I have to do it.

Any other possible causes?

I'm really starting to worry, that my GPU may be gone.