Update - plathora of issues, mostly fixed

I'm posting this as an update in case it helps anyone. I posted on here several times with unusual issues with my motherboard. I actually had people telling me to rma the board but i didn't. I persisted and it paid off.

Motherboard: Msi mpg b550 gaming edge wifi

Issues with this board:

-Broken blutooth. I couldn't discover devices to pair with. ( A well known issue with this board)
-My drive in nvme slot 2 (my windows drive) would sometimes not be detected on a cold boot. It was a 50/50. Sometimes it would boot into windows, other times it would boot straight into bios with no boot device led on. A simple reset worked around this and allowed me to boot windows.
-Stability issues. It would regular lock up for a good few seconds during gaming. It was the same every time. Audio would screetch and stutter while the game locked up and everything would stop responding. Some times it would recover itself. Some times it would hang for 40 seconds then the system would restart. When it did this, it often wouldn't post after it. I have to disconnect the mains for 10mns then plug it back in again to recover it.
-If i don't turn on the monitor before the computer, it wont post. It just hangs at the gpu bios screen. If i put the computer into hibernation then try to restore it with the monitor off, it get's stuck in a loop and blue screens every time it tries to reload windows.

Basically i was playing d2 and it locked up on me yet again and very nearly went down on me again. I decided enough was enough and tried something that had been bothering me. The bios. Two new revisions of bios had been released, the most recent being v18 at christmas. Msi really need to give more info on their bios updates as all it said on the support page was that it added compatability with windows 11 and a new amdcombo update. However when i googled the bios, i found a page with all the changes. There was a plathora of fixes. Why are msi not telling people this?

So i flashed to v18. I also noticed that new drivers were released at the same time so installed all them. I installed the most recent ryzen chipset drivers. And that's it. That's all i did. I've spent the past week testing it and this is what i've found.

-Bluetooth issue. Completely fixed. For the first time since i got this board i was able to pair up with my ps4 controller. 🙂
-My nvme issue has been completely resolved. It is now detected every boot. I cold boot the system 30 times just to be sure.
-My stability issues seem to have been resolved. I ran the system running prime 95 and furmark for 3 days straight without issues. I've also spent 64 hours gaming and it ran perfect. It seems as if the stablity issues are sorted.
-The issue with having to have the monitor switched on first still persists. I still have an issue with it that way but thats easy enough to work around. How hard is it to put your monitor on first?
-A bonus of this is that my motherboard now posts faster. It was always slow at posting but now is posting twice as fast.

And that's that. One simple bios flash solved most of my problems. If you have this motherboard then get that bios in straight away. Even if you have a different board that's acting up, keep an eye on bios releases.

Awesome that you got it fixed without having to RMA, just wondering why the bios updates weren't the first thing you did? Going back to your original post on the topic bios updates were the first thing that was recommended to you, Is there a specific reason you waited to do them? The issues you were having are ones that are most commonly fixed by a bios update, so I'm just curious as to why that specific suggestion was shrugged off?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Just now, SpookyCitrus said:

Awesome that you got it fixed without having to RMA, just wondering why the bios updates weren't the first thing you did? Going back to your original post on the topic bios updates were the first thing that was recommended to you, Is there a specific reason you waited to do them? The issues you were having are ones that are most commonly fixed by a bios update, so I'm just curious as to why that specific suggestion was shrugged off?

At that time i was already on the most recent bios. It's just they brought two out in quick succession. The main one i fixed this with was only released a few days before christmas. I figured that out just over a week ago and flashed it pretty much straight away. Believe me i was looking towards the bios the whole time.

yeah, thats the thing though… wait and maybe get a bios fix, which can take years sometimes, or return the nonfunctional device and get a hopefully working product immediately?

Both viable, but with my experience so far i would definitely not choose the pray and wait approach as its simply not worth the possibly wasted time, and you arent even guaranteed to get a fix ever.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 minutes ago, Digideath said:

At that time i was already on the most recent bios. It's just they brought two out in quick succession. The main one i fixed this with was only released a few days before christmas. I figured that out just over a week ago and flashed it pretty much straight away. Believe me i was looking towards the bios the whole time.

Oh that makes more sense.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, thats the thing though… wait and maybe get a bios fix, which can take years sometimes, or return the nonfunctional device and get a hopefullyworking product immediately?

Both viable, with mu experience so far i would definitely not the pray and wait approach as its simply not worth the possibly wasted time, and you arent even guaranteed to get a fix ever.

No I don't just give up and quit lol. I persist. And i have a few clever tricks at my disposal. Persistance isn't a bad thing and is at the heart of all troubleshooting. Keep going for the low hanging fruit and keep trying till you get what you want out of it. 🙂

1 hour ago, Digideath said:

Keep going for the low hanging fruit and keep trying till you get what you want out of it.

kind of ironic after i just told you i waited *years* for a bios update.

therefore i will now stop being a low hanging fruit and not buy any msi products again. 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity