Synology: the right way to access files remotely

Can anyone explain to me the right way, or let's just say, the "go to" way to access my files from my Synology NAS while outside of my network?

What are the substantial differences  between using:

• a direct access to Synology File Station from a browser
  • Using the Synology Drive app
  • direct connection to my NAS as a remote network drive in windows files explorer

I know that however I decide to connect remotely it will involve using Synology Quickconnect or either using a VPN. In my case I prefer to use Synology's own services because I'm not considering paying for a VPN yet, so Quickconnect it is.

I have my NAS already mapped as a network drive in windows file explorer when I'm in the network and it's extremely intuitive because it's just one more drive in my PC, that's why the dillemma came on what to do instead when I'm accessing the NAS remotely.

Thanks.

Until NAS units get a better rep for security and patching I won't touch their built in file sharing tools. I trust them to synch to cloud storage, that's it. They need to quite with their built in services and work a deal out with backblaze, or Azure or something to act as an intermediate broker. Everybody wins.

VPN is my goto. Investing in a router/firewall with a VPN client is soooo nice to have 

9 hours ago, wseaton said:

Until NAS units get a better rep for security and patching I won't touch their built in file sharing tools. I trust them to synch to cloud storage, that's it. They need to quite with their built in services and work a deal out with backblaze, or Azure or something to act as an intermediate broker. Everybody wins.

VPN is my goto. Investing in a router/firewall with a VPN client is soooo nice to have 

So you use a VPN and then what do you use to access the NAS? Windows File Explorer, a browser into File Station or Synology Drive?

By router/firewall you mean like a pfsense? What's the convenience?