PC 12th Gen intel won’t post w XMP enabled.

Go to solution Solved by A1200,

Gear 2 is a good shout. If set to auto, memory of that speed should be set to gear 2 anyway, but often forcing a setting yields better results. Does it work now?

So all my parts just came in for my new build,
Here is the parts list with pc part picker, so I

don’t have to manually list them all pc specs.

Anyway, I have 4x16gb =64gb of ddr4 3600mhz cl18 ram. When I boot the pc it works fine, if XMP isn’t enabled, but of course I only run at 1700mhz or so… So I went into the bios and enabled XMP for the ram, with XMP enabled the system will not post and a cmos reset is required. In an effort to figure out the issue, I tried the following. Removed new ram, and added my 4x8 = 32gbddr4 3600 cl18. Pc booted, then tried xmp for these sticks, it worked. Powered down, tried two sticks of the 4x16, so 2x16. It booted fine, so then I tried enabling xmp for just these two sticks, and pc booted fine. Added the other 2, and re-enabled xmp, won’t post. Okay, so clearly 64gb of 3600 is causing the issue. So I updated my bios and tried everything once again, same results. I then searched for beta bios for my motherboard on MSI forums and tried with this bios to see if maybe compatibility was improved, no luck still no post. So, I’m out of ideas, is there anything I can do? What is my best course of action? Return the ram? Motherboard? Both? Is this a I9-12900k cpu limitation? A motherboard limitation? Both? Or a ram issue? I’m really just looking for guidance on how to proceed, I’ve spent a fortune on this pc already, and I’m just incredibly stressed that it doesn’t run smoothly, and want a hopefully simplistic course of action. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: the 4x16 kit works with xmp enabled on my old system with a i9-9900k asus hero XI Maximus motherboard.

Add a 100mv or so to the voltage that will likely get you there. I run an i9 12900k with 4000MHz C18 and XMP works fine but I have heard others struggle on various generations and a small overvolt is a cure I have seen.

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

-= Topics Merged =-

Only need to post once.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

-= Topics Merged =-

Only need to post once.

I know, im sorry! I posted on mobile and it duplicated it by mistake im trying to delete it. Oh I see you deleted it, thank you, sorry for the mistake. 

12 minutes ago, A1200 said:

Add a 100mv or so to the voltage that will likely get you there. I run an i9 12900k with 4000MHz C18 and XMP works fine but I have heard others struggle on various generations and a small overvolt is a cure I have seen.

Hey, I just enabled Gear 2 in bios: I am unsure what this does, but the pc booted. Is gear 2 bad? If so I will try increasing the voltage as you suggested. 

Gear 2 is a good shout. If set to auto, memory of that speed should be set to gear 2 anyway, but often forcing a setting yields better results. Does it work now?

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro