Ukrainian government agencies got hit by malware disguised as a ransomware.

fUnDaMeNtAl_knobhead
1 minute ago, justpoet said:

Don't worry, side channel attacks don't exist in the cloud. 😉  </tinfoil>

So are you saying the US Gov wants to work with Intel, and not AMD, to increase their fab capacity is only because Intel CPUs have known and exploitable side-channel attacks? 😉 </biggertinfoil>

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So are you saying the US Gov wants to work with Intel, and not AMD, to increase their fab capacity is only because Intel CPUs have known and exploitable side-channel attacks? 😉 </biggertinfoil>

<Insert microcode change here>  Pay no attention to the money behind the curtain.  Nothing to see here.

I might be partially blind in jumping into this topic but isn't the US just using Intel because until now Intel made and used fabs located in the US (primarily (I think)) while amd is out sourcing it to tsmc? Or is that what you were talking about?

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/microsoft-launches-azure-government-top-secret-for-us-national-security-contracts/

Also: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/08/microsoft-protests-amazons-10-billion-nsa-cloud-computing-contract/

One of the reasons I personally think these "entities" are utilizing the public cloud, Azure/AWS, is that these facilities are central points of internet data flows so it makes logical sense to deploy their intelligence gathering systems in to these. But I try and limit the size of my tinfoil hats lol.

I could be mistaken, but If I recall correctly, MS has their own dedicated fiber backbone for Azure/AWS whereas Amazon doesn't in terms of direct control and administration.

2 hours ago, StDragon said:

I could be mistaken, but If I recall correctly, MS has their own dedicated fiber backbone for Azure/AWS whereas Amazon doesn't in terms of direct control and administration.

That is correct, Microsoft has it own global private fibre backbone. Whenever you are communicating with a MS/Azure/O365 service your traffic goes to the closest IX/entry point in to their network then it's going through Microsoft's network from that point onward.

32 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That is correct, Microsoft has it own global private fibre backbone. Whenever you are communicating with a MS/Azure/O365 service your traffic goes to the closest IX/entry point in to their network then it's going through Microsoft's network from that point onward.

Not that they play in the same cloud compute services space, but Apple does this for most things too.