merge drives

liamwibo

is there a way to merge 2 drives in 1 so that i don't have to switch between drive's all the time

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Like in a RAID? Yes, if your mobo supports it, but doing so wipes everything out in the process.

There is also this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/overview

i have 1 full empty drive so if i wan't to merge it with my other drive to make it one big drive ia have to empty my main drive to?

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Like in a RAID? Yes, if your mobo supports it, but doing so wipes everything out in the process.

There is also this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/storage-spaces/overview

image.png.38ffdaa0cc7a1f1e23c6aae17f6bc255.pngi want to merge this 2 so thats it's 1 big storage (1,5TB)

but if i click on the c drive the extend volume the option is grey 

4 minutes ago, liamwibo said:

but if i click on the c drive the extend volume the option is grey 

Yes, that's because the rest of the drive is full of stuff. The space would have to be empty for the drive to be enlarged.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, that's because the rest of the drive is full of stuff. The space would have to be empty for the drive to be enlarged.

is there a way to store this stuff until it's done

but windows is on the c drive and i looked it up and they do it whit 1 empty drive the drive they use as main drive still has stuff on it

2 minutes ago, liamwibo said:

is there a way to store this stuff until it's done

You should have a backup of your data to begin with.

BTW, read that Storager Spaces carefully, I am unsure if it works with drives of different sizes.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, liamwibo said:

i looked it up and they do it whit 1 empty drive the drive they use as main drive still has stuff on it

Link?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Link?

this is one off the videos

Yes this is extending on the same drive, not another one. 

In your case to have only one volume with both drives you'd need spanning (RAID would be essentially useless since the drives are different sizes). That would need wiping everything and most mobo controllers don't even support it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

In your case to have only one volume with both drives you'd need spanning (RAID would be essentially useless since the drives are different sizes). That would need wiping everything and most mobo controllers don't even support it. 

so it's not possible

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

but here they merge 2 difrent drives?

Just now, liamwibo said:

but here they merge 2 difrent drives?

But neither of them is the boot drive, that still needs to be separate. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

But neither of them is the boot drive, that still needs to be separate. 

is there a way to seperate this

8 minutes ago, liamwibo said:

is there a way to seperate this

Yes,just get a third drive in there and use RAID 0 with the 2 empty drives.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Yes,just get a third drive in there and use RAID 0 with the 2 empty drives.

so i need 1 small drive for windows and then i can merge the 2 other drives

3 minutes ago, liamwibo said:

so i need 1 small drive for windows and then i can merge the 2 other drives

No,You can't "merge" your boot drive without loosing data.

And you can't "merge" a big drive with a smaller drive without loosing capacity.

So i recommend you to use two 1TB drives,so you will need another 1TB drive.

If for example you were to "merge" a 512GB drive with a 1TB drive,you will loose 512GB because both drives have to be at the same capacity if you don't want to loose capacity.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

A) Run Windows on a separate drive, set a logical spanned volume once windows is installed (data may not survive reinstalls).

B) Create a raid array (there are couple things you need to make sure in this case) using atleast two drives in RAID0.

Neither option allows you to retain your data. I have a Spanned volume created in Windows and Windows install is on a seperate device outside this array.

Spoiler

image.png.7bb584c8720336893a27247ab879c2b6.png

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18