SSD with and without DRAM difference? (and one other question)

podkall
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's 3D or Planar (2D) ... it has to do with how the memory cells are constructed on the silicon. Nowadays pretty much everyone makes 3D because they can put more cells on a die, so it's more profitable.

Just like they don't say Samsung 980 has a SLC cache, they just default to saying TLC because whether it's planar or 3d has very little relevance and importance to a consumer.

It's a detail that's not important, like you don't care if your DDR4 stick has chips that store the bits in a 8 bits x 512 M arrangement or as 16 bits x 256 M inside the chip... or you don't particularly look to determine if the stick is Single Rank or Dual Rank DDR4 - it's DDR4 and that's all you care about.

You're seriously overthinking this ... good for you for asking so many technical stuff, you'll learn something, I hope ... just don't stress yourself too much with these choices.

14 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

So TLC and 3D TLC has 0 practical difference for me, more as that they might survive more writes than regular TLC and are cheaper to make somehow?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, podkall said:

So TLC and 3D TLC has 0 practical difference for me, more as that they might survive more writes than regular TLC and are cheaper to make somehow?

AFAIK virtually all SSDs are 3D NAND now. It was a big part of what allowed SSDs to break out and become both large enough capacity and cost effective enough to compete with (and largely overtake) HDD storage.

It has nothing to do with TLC one way or another.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

35 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

AFAIK virtually all SSDs are 3D NAND now. It was a big part of what allowed SSDs to break out and become both large enough capacity and cost effective enough to compete with (and largely overtake) HDD storage.

It has nothing to do with TLC one way or another.

Than why does samsung has TLC in specification and adata has 3D TLC?

But let's not dig too deep for fairly casual implementations.

980 is among one of the right choices along with being fairly cheap and Adata would give me similar performance,

right?

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

It's 3D or Planar (2D) ... it has to do with how the memory cells are constructed on the silicon. Nowadays pretty much everyone makes 3D because they can put more cells on a die, so it's more profitable.

Just like they don't say Samsung 980 has a SLC cache, they just default to saying TLC because whether it's planar or 3d has very little relevance and importance to a consumer.

It's a detail that's not important, like you don't care if your DDR4 stick has chips that store the bits in a 8 bits x 512 M arrangement or as 16 bits x 256 M inside the chip... or you don't particularly look to determine if the stick is Single Rank or Dual Rank DDR4 - it's DDR4 and that's all you care about.

You're seriously overthinking this ... good for you for asking so many technical stuff, you'll learn something, I hope ... just don't stress yourself too much with these choices.

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

But in things like RAM it actually makes a noticable difference in the high end, right?

PC:

PCs I used before: