Audio delay issue with Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro and Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen

Hi,

I have been using the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen with my Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro headphones and AT2035 XLR mic for a little over a year now (maybe longer). I have noticed recently that my audio has been un synced with my pc. For example, I will be watching something on YouTube and press pause but the audio will keep playing for a second or two or my game audio will be out of sync by a second or two. The cable which originally came with the audio interface broke not too long ago so I had to resort to using my PS5 Pulse headset charger as its the only USB A to USB C cable I have. Could this cable change be whats causing the issue? The setup has been running fine until about a month or two ago when the issue first started. I currently have to unplug the interface to get the audio to sync again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Can you try plugging the audio interface into a different computer with that same usb a to c cable and see if the issue persists? If so, then it's likely the cable you need to swap. Otherwise you could just go ahead and order a new cable anyways to have on hand.

Do you have any audio software installed on your PC like voicemeeter?

What's the specs of your PC?

Instead of unplugging the interface and plugging it back in to sync audio, does it also fix it if you restart your PC?

Just now, NinJake said:

Can you try plugging the audio interface into a different computer with that same usb a to c cable and see if the issue persists? If so, then it's likely the cable you need to swap. Otherwise you could just go ahead and order a new cable anyways to have on hand.

Do you have any audio software installed on your PC like voicemeeter?

What's the specs of your PC?

Instead of unplugging the interface and plugging it back in to sync audio, does it also fix it if you restart your pc?

The issue only happens occasionally so I cant really plug it into another PC to test it. I thought maybe the cable I was using isnt strong enough as its only meant to be used as a charger really.

I dont have voicemeeter installed on my pc.

My PC specs are:

i7-6700k

Corsair h100i v2 cpu cooler

Gigabyte RTX 3070

ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Hero

16GB RAM

EVGA 650W PSU

1 hour ago, Peter Boyle said:

The issue only happens occasionally so I cant really plug it into another PC to test it. I thought maybe the cable I was using isnt strong enough as its only meant to be used as a charger really.

Well the first step is to figure out a way to replicate the issue if possible. Pay close attention to what is going on with the computer before and around this starts occurring.

Just now, NinJake said:

Well the first step is to figure out a way to replicate the issue if possible. Pay close attention to what is going on with the computer before and around this starts occurring.

Hi,

Nothing ever seems to happen before the issue occurs. The audio just randomly de syncs. Im wondering if its because im trying to run my AT2035 and the Beyerdynamics through the one interface. The headphones are the 250 ohm version so maybe its a power issue?

1 minute ago, Peter Boyle said:

Hi,

Nothing ever seems to happen before the issue occurs. The audio just randomly de syncs. Im wondering if its because im trying to run my AT2035 and the Beyerdynamics through the one interface. The headphones are the 250 ohm version so maybe its a power issue?

Is there no external power supply for the audio interface, just the usb a to c providing power and data? It could definitely be a lower-spec cable. I'd just pick up a new cable and see if that fixes it otherwise I'd definitely try the set up on a different computer for a few hours to see if the audio ever desyncs still. Your system specs check out and doesn't appear like it would cause some issues in the audio realm.

Just now, NinJake said:

Is there no external power supply for the audio interface, just the usb a to c providing power and data? It could definitely be a lower-spec cable. I'd just pick up a new cable and see if that fixes it otherwise I'd definitely try the set up on a different computer for a few hours to see if the audio ever desyncs still. Your system specs check out and doesn't appear like it would cause some issues in the audio realm.

Yeah the audio interface is powered by the USB cable only. I suspected the cable would be the issue as the issue only started once the original supplied cable broke. Apparently they recommend the amazon basics cables so im going to order that and hopefully it fixes the issue. Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

I got the Amazon Basics USB-A to USB-C cable. This seems to have completely solved my issue. Just thought I'd give an update in case anyone else has the issue they can just be redirected here

This is a very simple USB 2.0 device so likely not a cable issue.. unless your computer is being pushed to 100% usage and slowing down or you are doing a lot of usb bandwith between a few devices on the same path..  It could possibly be buffer or audio clock settings within the Focusrite software? if you put the buffer speed down to like 128kb it may get better?

This wouldn't be an issue with the headphones, last ditch effort make sure your windows power settings are on High Performance mode and within the "Advanced power settings" you have USB Selective suspend disabled. 

Best of luck!

Just now, c0mputers said:

This is a very simple USB 2.0 device so likely not a cable issue.. unless your computer is being pushed to 100% usage and slowing down or you are doing a lot of usb bandwith between a few devices on the same path..  It could possibly be buffer or audio clock settings within the Focusrite software? if you put the buffer speed down to like 128kb it may get better?

This wouldn't be an issue with the headphones, last ditch effort make sure your windows power settings are on High Performance mode and within the "Advanced power settings" you have USB Selective suspend disabled. 

Best of luck!

I bought the new cable and the issue hasnt happened since so not sure what it was. I was considering upgrading my audio interface but ill have a look in the focusrite software. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Peter Boyle said:

I bought the new cable and the issue hasnt happened since so not sure what it was. I was considering upgrading my audio interface but ill have a look in the focusrite software. Thanks!

Ah, interesting! Well glad its working now, maybe it was just a bad cable/connector after all