looking at a openwrt router build

Budget (including currency): n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: openwrt wifi routing and as a hub for a wifi star network topology. Id like a wifi router that can scale with me currently i only have 40mbs adsl internet but i will be upgrading soon to fibre. id also like it to have 2 sfp+ ports (one for wan one for lan) 1 rj45 (for my current speeds) and some mpcie for wifi cards. I'm ok having used parts.

so I've found a few things here paired with this, an m.2 boot drive, some ram and 2 mpcie wifi modules with full bandwidth g/n/ac/ax. I'm wondering if this will work or if anyone has experience with this. after a lot of googling it seems not many people know this exists and with this being rather expensive I just want to make sure it will play nice. Thanks for any help

It sounds like you're home-building a wrecking ball to crack a walnut!

I've been out of this game for a few years, but I used to run OpenWRT on an old Linksys/Cisco WRT160N router and that ran up to ADSL just fine - I'm sure you could get 99% of the functionality you're after for a fraction of the price... that was fine up to ~80Mbps on the WAN side (with the firewall running) - I only got rid of it as Virgin upgraded to 200Mbps in my area and the WAN side was only 100Mbps port.

I'm sure you'd be able to get a 801.11ax AP and just add it to a modded Linksys router.

That was all a few years ago though, so things have probably moved on: there must be some more focussed forums dedicated to OpenWRT advice... 

My workstation/gamer: Ryzen9 5900X@5Ghz, AC Freezer2 280mm AIO, ASUS TUF X570PRO, RTX3080Ti FE, 32Gb TridentZ DDR4-3600C14, M.2 1Tb WDSN850, M.2 1Tb WDSN550, 2x 8Tb WD80EFAX, Corsair HX850, LianLi O11 Air Mini + 3x NF-A14's, Gigabyte M27Q (27"/1440P/170Hz), Asus PA248 (24"/1200P/60Hz), Dell WFP2408 (24"/1200P/60Hz), G815 kbd, G502 mouse, Sony WH-H910N, ModMic Wireless.