CPU wont boost down after changing motherboard

SRRAE

I was using my Ryzen 5600X on my MSI X470 motherboard without issue, everything ran as expected regarding power plan.  On balanced power plan it would downclock to about 2Ghz when idle, moderate use clock to about 3.6Ghz and under heavier use it would boost to about 4.2 to 4.6Ghz

A couple of days ago I change the motherboard to a ASUS X570-E Gaming WIFI II and ever since the CPU hasn't correctly downclocked and is in fact boosting ALL the time.
On Windows desktop with nothing open the CPU is clocked at anything between 4 - 4.6Ghz.  Sat here now a typing this and the clock speed is staying above 4.4Ghz most of the time.  Obviously this is causing additional heat with idle temps usually being around the 40C and occasionally for no apparent reason, the temperature will shoot to high 50s.

In the Bios I have turned off all overclocks, and even disabled precision boost, but still the CPU refuses to go below 4Ghz.  I've even gone as far as a complete fresh Windows 10 install.  With standard 

I am in contact with Asus support who at the moment just seem to be saying Ryzen CPUs run hotter, and ignoring the fact the CPU is in boosting nearly 100% of the time.  I've had a few computer lockups..

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Did you remove the old chipset drivers and install new ones? Download the ones from Asus website for your X570-E and use the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

49 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Did you remove the old chipset drivers and install new ones? Download the ones from Asus website for your X570-E and use the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

Formatted drive and installed windows from fresh.  Straight away I noticed the issue.

I have downloaded the Chipset drivers from AMD's site and still the same issue.  There is no Ryzen Balanced power plan anymore.  Apparently it was used as a temporary fix to a windows issue.

22 minutes ago, SRRAE said:

Formatted drive and installed windows from fresh.  Straight away I noticed the issue.

I have downloaded the Chipset drivers from AMD's site and still the same issue.  There is no Ryzen Balanced power plan anymore.  Apparently it was used as a temporary fix to a windows issue.

Get the ones from Asus. They contain things that are specific to your motherboard most likely.

38 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Get the ones from Asus. They contain things that are specific to your motherboard most likely.

I've tried that too.  The ones listed from Asus site is a higher version than the one from AMD.
The ones on AMDs site is 3.10.08 and via Asus is 3.10.22.  Both behave the same

Have you made sure that the Cool'n'Quiet feature is enabled in BIOS? (It's the AMD equivalent to SpeedStep)

Just now, YoungBlade said:

Have you made sure that the Cool'n'Quiet feature is enabled in BIOS? (It's the AMD equivalent to SpeedStep)

I'm struggling to find what that is called and where it would be on this Asus Bios.

I've gone through every BIOS option looking for it and I cant see anything which implies its that setting.

I had to search for ASUS name for Smart Access Memory

13 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

@SRRAEAM4 have no Cool'n'Quiet. As far as I know it was discontinued. 

Well the way Ryzen works is that it will boost whenever it gets under load. Monitoring software will also put it under load so there is also that. Did you try monitoring with Ryzen Master?

11 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well the way Ryzen works is that it will boost whenever it gets under load. Monitoring software will also put it under load so there is also that. Did you try monitoring with Ryzen Master?

AM4 definitely has it, although from what I can find, most mobo makers rolled it into C States and only Gigabyte still calls it that.

The feature is mentioned in official Ryzen documentation from AMD, so it certainly is on AM4. https://download.amd.com/documents/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-and-AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users-Guide.pdf

11 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

AM4 definitely has it, although from what I can find, most mobo makers rolled it into C States and only Gigabyte still calls it that.

The feature is mentioned in official Ryzen documentation from AMD, so it certainly is on AM4. https://download.amd.com/documents/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-and-AMD-Ryzen-Master-Overclocking-Users-Guide.pdf

After a little searching it seems AMD prefer the term PSS for "Cool'n'Quiet".  I found that and it is enabled. I've tried it disabled and it made no different.  Its back to enabled now.

Ive found a few threads from different sources with similar issues and it is nearly always ASUS users saying its not working. 

28 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Is your Windows power plan set to Balanced?

Yes it is. Setting it to power saver makes the CPU drop to 1.7Ghz.  At one point it stopped doing that.  I ended up uninstalling all of ASUS software from the computer to get power saver to work

47 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Maybe you should upgrade to a B450 then? 😅

I used to have Asus motherboards most of the time, but last time I remember last time I changed I wanted something different.  Perhaps its stuff like this that was the reason behind the change 😉

1 hour ago, aDoomGuy said:

I have got Ryzen Master installed and when it stays open long enough to get a reading that does imply the CPU is clocking down.  But every other software, Windows, ASUS apps, NZXT, CPUID all read the same high clock speed, and the random jump of CPU temp into the mid 50C suggests it is a higher clock speed.

Unless, the temp isn't reading correctly either.

9 hours ago, SRRAE said:

I was using my Ryzen 5600X on my MSI X470 motherboard without issue, everything ran as expected regarding power plan.  On balanced power plan it would downclock to about 2Ghz when idle, moderate use clock to about 3.6Ghz and under heavier use it would boost to about 4.2 to 4.6Ghz

A couple of days ago I change the motherboard to a ASUS X570-E Gaming WIFI II and ever since the CPU hasn't correctly downclocked and is in fact boosting ALL the time.
On Windows desktop with nothing open the CPU is clocked at anything between 4 - 4.6Ghz.  Sat here now a typing this and the clock speed is staying above 4.4Ghz most of the time.  Obviously this is causing additional heat with idle temps usually being around the 40C and occasionally for no apparent reason, the temperature will shoot to high 50s.

In the Bios I have turned off all overclocks, and even disabled precision boost, but still the CPU refuses to go below 4Ghz.  I've even gone as far as a complete fresh Windows 10 install.  With standard 

the CPU is in boosting nearly 100% of the time.  I've had a few computer lockups..

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Have you updated the bios?

Check in BIOS under the "External digi + Power Control" and check to make sure any of those settings aren't defaulted high.

If you can, take a picture of the settings.

It sounds like either a funky bios version or asus left a default boost.

The temps seem similar to my 3700x with high end cooling.

5 hours ago, SRRAE said:

I have got Ryzen Master installed and when it stays open long enough to get a reading that does imply the CPU is clocking down.  But every other software, Windows, ASUS apps, NZXT, CPUID all read the same high clock speed, and the random jump of CPU temp into the mid 50C suggests it is a higher clock speed.

Unless, the temp isn't reading correctly either.

Ryzen Master is the most accurate when it comes to monitoring Ryzen CPU both in frequency and temperature, though the higher the temp the more accurate other applications get. Hwinfo works decent for me as well. Asus apps arent great at showing temp but accurate enough for fan control and a quick and dirty read out.

With my Aida64 sensor panel though.. it loads constantly 4-5% making the CPU boost pretty much all the time. It is as I described earlier only worse (4-5% on a modern multi threaded CPU actually is a fair bit of load)..

image.png.5ad0736e7a381462bd7af062b687b1c3.png

Shutting down Aida 64 I can instantly hear my fans easing off lol.

Meanwhile in Ryzen Master land with HWinfo still running mind you.

image.thumb.png.84a4a13c4a772725355353dd63031434.png

So Ryzen Master is what I use if wanna monitor my CPU but I can use HWinfo for temps but I must remember the actual temp may be lower, also AI Suite actual temp may be lower than displayed temp if it is 40-55°. Well this is what I learned anyway from 2 years of Ryzen (also FX had similar inconsistencies when it came to temp sensors).

I figured I take a screenshot showing you temp readings from RM, AI Suite and HWinfo.

image.thumb.png.2f8bb1b2a8da91b7eb6959d3c90efd65.png

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm digging this up from the doldrums but I got a response from Asus and thought I'd let you know, if anyone's interested.

They said they replicated same issue on the motherboard and will work towards a fix, probably in the form of a BIOS update.  As Chinese new year is close, it may be a few weeks.

Fingers crossed my CPU and water pump wont be going crazy when doing something simple like, open a browser.

Sweet man! 

How do you like that board? I've been thinking about buying it because I don't want to spend 608 delivered for a Dark Hero 😄

Trying to find a review is like pulling teeth.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

10 hours ago, freeagent said:

Sweet man! 

How do you like that board? I've been thinking about buying it because I don't want to spend 608 delivered for a Dark Hero 😄

Trying to find a review is like pulling teeth.

The only review I have round was Russian.  I think it's more of a large revision change to the current x570 Gaming-E than a new board, so hasn't got much attention.

Other than the CPU boosting all the time and causing large spikes in temperature for no reason, it seems good.  I only have a 5600X so dont have a CPU which can really push the board, but it has ran at 4.8Ghz for short bursts and seems happy to run 4.7 nearly all the time without issue.