Windows 8 six months in 100 million+ licenses sold

GoodBytes

Tami Reller, from Microsoft, Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer, in a Q&A, said that over 250 millions apps has been downloaded by users, and that Windows 8 sold over 100 million copies.

It also confirms that Windows project Blue (the rumored Windows 8.1), is coming later this year. More info on pricing and information in the coming weeks. This is probable at the coming up Microsoft BUILD event June 26 to the 28 which will be held in San Francisco.

Tami Reller, also says that over 400 million active Outlook.com account, and over 250 million SkyDrive users.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2013/05/06/windows-8-at-6-months-q-amp-a-with-tami-reller.aspx

I think this is some great news for Windows 8. It shows that is being picked up, at least the best of what the PC sales allows ('cause those are much down).

What do you think?

If it doesn't sale, manufacture don't continue to produce computers.

Usually, assuming you are an efficient company, you don't have inventory laying around in your warehouse for long (ie: 1-2 week or days)

Of course Windows 8 is being picked up... It is sold with PCs people buy. Statistics like this don't tell you if people like the OS or not. I would be more interested to see in statistics that show how much people like Windows 8 over 7/Vista.

Of course, but this statics is what Microsoft finance departmental and investors care about. How much it sold, not how many people are happy.

Well, I like windows 8. The missing start menu doesn't botter me at all. I find myself using the windows explorer most of the time and it works for me. I am Keeping all my most used programs and games in the modern UI and only the important programs on my desktop. Keeps it clean. But thats just me. 

I love windows 8, because it's much faster than 7 and vista and also more secure.

The modern UI can be greatly configurated to fit anyone needs, just as the old start button.

Can't find the Control Panel? pin it to the start! can't shut down your computer? ALT+F4!

Seriously guys, how hard can it be?

yet people still think microsoft will collapse hehehehe_hold on to your thought tyt

I love windows 8, because it's much faster than 7 and vista and also more secure.
The modern UI can be greatly configurated to fit anyone needs, just as the old start button.
Can't find the Control Panel? pin it to the start! can't shut down your computer? ALT+F4!
Seriously guys, how hard can it be?

Ok, THAT is the problem that Microsoft, and anyone that is currently pulling with them makes.

W8 is much faster in that it has less hick-ups, but that doesn't mean working on it is more efficient. In fact, it is less efficient to work on it than it is to work on Ubuntu, W7 or OS X.

Getting in and out of Metro UI makes me lose my point of focus.

Why do I have to move my move across the whole screen to reach something that is 2 tiles away?

It can be configured yes, but it takes much more space, and it takes much more time to do basic stuff.

And let's not get started on the integrated Search in W8.

Sure, you can pin the Control panel, and Printers and Devices, and all the stuff that you would normally easily find on W7.. But how is that efficient? It's only cluttering my desktop screen more.

And about the ALT+F4.. there is a reason why most mouses are wireless, while keyboards are mostly attached. In a conference room, where I can only control the PC with a directional handheld mouse, it's a pain to move the mouse up into the corner, down to settings, then back to ... then back to...

W7 used to cater to different needs, and almost anyone could find their flavor in it. W8 limits what you can do with it, it feels you must do exactly what MS wants you to do, in order to be able to use it. Sadly, that's not always the case, work needs to be done, and if that means moving to a platform that I like and will still be supported, I'll do it.

I'm on Ubuntu atm, and quite frankly, I can find all the essential apps I need, it's faster, lighter, has a cleaner interface, dev friendly, is easier to use (well, to a certain degree) (it's easier to handle), only draw back is the lack of games, something that Valve seems to be trying to take care of at the moment.

Ok, THAT is the problem that Microsoft, and anyone that is currently pulling with them makes.

W8 is much faster in that it has less hick-ups, but that doesn't mean working on it is more efficient. In fact, it is less efficient to work on it than it is to work on Ubuntu, W7 or OS X.

I work faster on Win8. It's because you have to pass through the learning curve.

Getting in and out of Metro UI makes me lose my point of focus.

Not me.

Why do I have to move my move across the whole screen to reach something that is 2 tiles away?

The Start Screen is customizable, you are suppose to put things from the most used at the bottom left and least used at the top right.

This graph from Microsoft shows this:

6355.Page14_2D00_2_5F00_0CE4F066.png

Article: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

Example, my Start Screen:

dss.png

I have quick access to the folder I need, and not restricted to the folder available in the Start Menu.

As I have most of my programs and projects pinned with them, all on the Task Bar, I have quick access to them, but I still have them there.

I also have quick access to my games. I can just click to the game I want and directly play it. I don't have to Start Steam, wait until it loads, then go to library, under the right section, and then I get to click on play for my game. And get a completely different experience for other games that are on Origin or Uplay.

As for rarely used apps, they are not pined or even the ones listed on the right, I just use instant search feature. So I just type the few letters (sometimes just one) of the program and hit Enter.

It can be configured yes, but it takes much more space, and it takes much more time to do basic stuff.

Nope. You are just not used to it.

And let's not get started on the integrated Search in W8.

I agree. Apparently it will be improved in 8.1

Sure, you can pin the Control panel, and Printers and Devices, and all the stuff that you would normally easily find on W7.. But how is that efficient? It's only cluttering my desktop screen more.

Huh? Start Screen... we are talking about the pinning an item to Start Screen.. not making a shortcut on your desktop.

Also you can use the customizable Power User menu -> right-click on Start Button, or do Win+X to access it. It's navigable with the keyboard too.

Once you learn it, it will fell like a keyboard shortcut. For example, do Win+X, then hit p. Control Panel will open.

And about the ALT+F4.. there is a reason why most mouses are wireless, while keyboards are mostly attached. In a conference room, where I can only control the PC with a directional handheld mouse, it's a pain to move the mouse up into the corner, down to settings, then back to ... then back to...

You don't shut down your computer while doing a presentation.

Also, you can move your mouse at the bottom right corner of the screen, and slide a bit up, and the charm menu will pop open, click on Settings, and then you have the Shutdown button on you, all in the region of your current mouse position.

You can also do Win+I to open the Setting panel, and have access to the shutdown button. You can also hit the power button on your laptop or system.

W7 used to cater to different needs, and almost anyone could find their flavor in it. W8 limits what you can do with it, it feels you must do exactly what MS wants you to do, in order to be able to use it. Sadly, that's not always the case, work needs to be done, and if that means moving to a platform that I like and will still be supported, I'll do it.

However, about saying, that you simply don't want to learn anything new.

I'm on Ubuntu atm, and quite frankly, I can find all the essential apps I need, it's faster, lighter, has a cleaner interface, dev friendly, is easier to use (well, to a certain degree) (it's easier to handle), only draw back is the lack of games, something that Valve seems to be trying to take care of at the moment.

You are praising Ubuntu, yet the Linux community bash Ubuntu like if it was Windows Me. Nice.

Why do I have to move my move across the whole screen to reach something that is 2 tiles away?...

It can be configured yes, but it takes much more space, and it takes much more time to do basic stuff....

Sure, you can pin the Control panel, and Printers and Devices, and all the stuff that you would normally easily find on W7.. But how is that efficient? It's only cluttering my desktop screen more....

This is my start screen:

Spanish language...9hs5uc.jpg

Note there's still room for 21 other apps and that's whitout even have to scroll the screen, and I don't have to use any shortcuts in my desktop anymore.

Ok, I can't argue with that, some people really like W8, and seeing how you have it set up, quite frankly, it's pretty organized. More than you could ever do with W7. You pretty much have everything you could need, organized, at the press of the Win button. 

W8 is "pretty" in that it's has a well designed interface. Maybe when MS decides to go full Metro, I might switch then, but for now, I'll be staying on the fence. They certainly do have the capacity to do so, but it seems they are just waiting it out for the devs to start pushing their apps to Metro.

At 100 million sold in 6 months, it doesn't seem they will be going anywhere, anytime soon. 

Windows is arguably still the only widely known OS that can be installed on just about any PC. And the way they are aggressively advertising it, means it will keep selling. More Income means more R&D and better stuff for the future, which is always good.

Anyways, thanks for your replies guys, it made me realize that different people have different ways to deal with a new OS, and that W8 can really be a like-able OS, with a few care and getting used to.

Oh, and about the quick shot at Ubuntu, Linux "elitists" don't really like it cz it makes things much simpler compared to the other "true" Linux OSes, while taking away some of the tweaks and openness of the others. For me, it does just the necessary, so I'm good with it for now.

This "sales" include pre-built pcs and notebooks shipped with w8?

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES