O11 Dynamic Evo compatibility with Noctua RTX 3070? Or where to go, case-wise?

Budget (including currency): $300

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Software development and Cyberpunk 2077

Other details:

I own Ryzen 5900X cooled by Liquid Freezer II, Asus x Noctua 3070 OC card and 32 GB of RAM. It is built on full ATX mainboard in a very old, crowded case. And now I am thinking of turning it into somewhat coherent, Noctua-centric build.

I need a case for that and of course I thought about the new Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO. I asked manufacturer about compatibility and they replied, but in uncertain terms:

obraz.png.45f24083ab62c25c9a64a670e3599636.png

So, my card might interfere upright, by what they say. But would it, really? It only uses 2 slots on the back of the case, despite being 4.3 slots wide at the shroud. I'm not eager to buy rather expensive case only to find out that my GPU does not fit. In the current situation I am one lucky guy to have a current-gen GPU, so I am not trying to buy another just to fit in the case. I also don't want to keep my card on the motherboard, because it only leaves one PCIe slot free to use, and I do have Asus WiFi card I need to keep, and I'd like to add a sound card too.

Is anyone able to dry-fit it, or to read diagrams better than I can? Or any advice where do I go from here?

That's my first post, so be gentle with me, please. And English is not my native language, so I am open to being corrected, just please keep in mind I'm doing the best I can.

I don't understand your confusion.

If you plan on mounting the GPU so it is perpendicular to the motherboard, i.e. normally, there should be no problem. That is I suspect, so long as the slot used keeps the full width of the card over the motherboard.

If you want to use the vertical option then you have to take into account the mounting bracket. (The bracket has to keep the card clear of the motherboard slots.) And you should allow sufficient spacing for good air intake. The lian-li response suggests that your card is too wide to satisfy the conditions.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

@brob But I know my card is too wide for vertical all right. What I don't know is upright, and that's totally different mounting kit. O11D EVO Upright GPU Kit does not look like there is anything there to collide with GPU wider than 3 slots. Image suggests it should be compatible with my card, but the manufacturer says it *might* collide with part of the bracket. But I can't see what part o the bracket would that be. On the pictures from the manufacturer's site, it looks there is plenty of space in the "height" and "width" directions. I wouldn't be able to use the bottom L-type support bracket but I don't see
it as a big problem.
DSC_2884-600x600.jpgevo-kit-2-7-1.jpg

I think the image below illustrates the issue. Note the bar above 3 in the image on the left. You can see the plate clearly along the bottom of the first image in your post.

evo-kit-2-3-1-768x448.jpg

@brob The plate does not appear like that on any other photo, nor on the review videos like this: https://youtu.be/o0wecnSTdy4?t=692  On every other depiction, it seems it is bent up, not down, in a way that would not collide with thicker card.
So I guess the real question is is it really bent down like that in production units?

If it is bent up then Asus x Noctua GPU would work, if it is bent down then it wouldn't. But which is it? We have opposite looks on the manufacturer's page. I'll try to ask them again, but if someone happens to have this bracket, I'd be glad to hear.

obraz.png.a36d3c1fc3e93b262d369e089534ff41.pngobraz.png.0337b62c784a8b11b3c53afaed7219c0.png

4 minutes ago, Molot said:

@brob The plate does not appear like that on any other photo, nor on the review videos like this: https://youtu.be/o0wecnSTdy4?t=692  On every other depiction, it seems it is bent up, not down, in a way that would not collide with thicker card.
So I guess the real question is is it really bent down like that in production units?

If it is bent up then Asus x Noctua GPU would work, if it is bent down then it wouldn't. But which is it? We have opposite looks on the manufacturer's page. I'll try to ask them again, but if someone happens to have this bracket, I'd be glad to hear.

obraz.png.a36d3c1fc3e93b262d369e089534ff41.png

This review picture clearly shows the bent over plate, as did the image you posted and the link.

obraz.png.a36d3c1fc3e93b262d369e089534ff41.png.a3738a45726af7c849d57db7edd53ef9.png

1 minute ago, brob said:

This review picture clearly shows the bent over plate, as did the image you posted and the link.

It shows plate bent away from the GPU, with the part emulating back of the case being flat, as can be seen mere seconds later. I added second picture, YouTube bar obscures the view a bit but it can be seen that plate is bent left, away from the graphic card, and the "bottom" plate with holes for bottoms of the "plugs" is the only thing that protrudes in the direction of the card.

Screenshot_20220104-135931_Chrome.jpg.882158649d9e29ed191a983bdf8d70ff.jpg

The arrow identifies the piece I am talking about. It appears in every shot I have seen and in the mounting instructions shown later in the linked video.

obraz.png.cf023682c5065fab90c446b8aa7e8df2.png

Red line indicates where the metal brackets of the GPU will go. I don't see it colliding with the part you are talking about, that part is on the other side of the brackets than the GPU.
Admittedly images are quite low quality, that's why I wanted an answer from someone who could put their hands on it.

The shroud on the GPU may be the issue. In Asus pics it appears to extend as far as the mounting plate. I think the overhang extends further out.

Update - Lian Li consultant wasn't able to answer the question, advised me to contact warranty support to obtain this magical knowledge 😄 Waiting.

• 2 weeks later...

Last update. Top piece would fit that card, geometrically, but no guarantees about the ability to support the weigh shifted so far away, of course. And the bottom support would not fit. So one would need to be ready to fabricate or 3D print your own bottom support.

You can clearly see nothing protrudes in the direction o the GPU on the clip below:

obraz.png.fde608d349df2d4d4f5fbc3331a77b10.png