2400Mhz RAM with 5600x - should I upgrade RAM?

I just recently upgraded from a R5 1600 to the newer 5600x.

I still have my trusty 2400Mhz CL16.

I know that I will get a performance boost. But will it be tangible? Will I actually feel it in games (for example with frame times)?

So - in your opinion, should I upgrade and why.

First, it depends on whether or not you are CPU bound or GPU bound. If you are GPU bound, then you won't notice any difference from a RAM upgrade.

Second, what is your target fps? If you are aiming to play at 200+ fps, then RAM matters more. If you are aiming to play at 60 fps, then RAM is irrelevant.

Third, when it comes to frame times, it's very much game dependent. Some games see a boost mainly to the lows and others just get a general boost that doesn't benefit frame times.

If your graphics card is still the RX 5700, then you'd probably see a slight improvement if you are still gaming at 1080p and aren't targeting max settings, but it won't be night and day, just a nice bump.

You can see this Hardware Unboxed video to see that, when benchmarking with an RTX 2070 Super, RAM scaling becomes minimal. So for your card, that will also be the case.

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

First, it depends on whether or not you are CPU bound or GPU bound. If you are GPU bound, then you won't notice any difference from a RAM upgrade.

Second, what is your target fps? If you are aiming to play at 200+ fps, then RAM matters more. If you are aiming to play at 60 fps, then RAM is irrelevant.

Third, when it comes to frame times, it's very much game dependent. Some games see a boost mainly to the lows and others just get a general boost that doesn't benefit frame times.

If your graphics card is still the RX 5700, then you'd probably see a slight improvement if you are still gaming at 1080p and aren't targeting max settings, but it won't be night and day, just a nice bump.

You can see this Hardware Unboxed video to see that, when benchmarking with an RTX 2070 Super, RAM scaling becomes minimal. So for your card, that will also be the case.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

So I'm targeting 144fps 1080 on the highest possible settings. So basically I wanna be high refresh but without having to resort to lower settings

I was lucky enough to snag a 3070. So I feel like currently I am pretty balanced. Currently in Apex for example I hit 90% GPU and the game is at 144 at all times and I dont seem to feel any significant dips since I got the new CPU 🙂

One of my concerns is, that in the future when my CPU isn't current anymore I might run into problems with the slower ram and then I wont be able to get DDR4 or would have to pay way too much because its not being produced.

Does that make sense?

4 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Thanks for the reply 🙂

So I'm targeting 144fps 1080 on the highest possible settings. So basically I wanna be high refresh but without having to resort to lower settings

I was lucky enough to snag a 3070. So I feel like currently I am pretty balanced. Currently in Apex for example I hit 90% GPU and the game is at 144 at all times and I dont seem to feel any significant dips since I got the new CPU 🙂

One of my concerns is, that in the future when my CPU isn't current anymore I might run into problems with the slower ram and then I wont be able to get DDR4 or would have to pay way too much because its not being produced.

Does that make sense?

Fair enough. Congratulations on the 3070!

If you have the cash to spare, that's not a bad reason to upgrade. Also, If you don't already have 32GB, I'd say that's another good reason. A few newer games, like Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition, do get close to using 16GB, so background tasks may become more of a problem going forward.

Basically, if you're goal is to future proof with RAM, I think going up to 32GB+ capacity is just as important.

Oh wow, okay. I was unaware that games might use that much ram! I was going to buy 16GB again but that sounds like a good idea then!

Also with the shortage going on I don't see the prices dropping, probably it's going to get more expensive, so that's another reason!

Consider buying some dual ranked memory, the performance is superb, and cannot be matched easily with just a single ranked pair.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

Thanks guys 🙂

So I am looking for 32Gb of 3600Mhz. All the affordable options are CL18 though. Would that make a big difference in the end?

1 hour ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Thanks guys 🙂

So I am looking for 32Gb of 3600Mhz. All the affordable options are CL18 though. Would that make a big difference in the end?

In realistic scenarios, you're probably looking at a worst-case 3% difference between CL16 and CL18. In many cases, there shouldn't be any difference, and when there is, it won't be perceptible. You'd only notice if you were looking at benchmark numbers.

7 hours ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Honestly, that kinda looks like a ripoff to me... That 18 is only for one part of the timings, and the other two main performance timings are 20. (basically, it's slower than most 3200 DIMMs)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

16 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Honestly, that kinda looks like a ripoff to me... That 18 is only for one part of the timings, and the other two main performance timings are 20. (basically, it's slower than most 3200 DIMMs)

Oh... okay!

Would this be an option, I'd get two of these, so 4 sticks.

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/dp/B083V93HJG/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3JN3BTH21TI7B&keywords=32gb%2B3600mhz&qid=1640858940&refinements=p_85%3A16497054031%2Cp_n_fulfilled_by_amazon%3A17344308031&rnid=17344307031&rps=1&sprefix=32gb%2B3600mhz%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-14&th=1

Edit: I don't quite get it. All of the sticks I find are 18-22-22-42... even this one, and I thought it was considered to be a good one...

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/dp/B07VNJFR67/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3JN3BTH21TI7B&keywords=32gb+3600mhz&qid=1640969485&refinements=p_85%3A16497054031%2Cp_n_fulfilled_by_amazon%3A17344308031&rnid=17344307031&rps=1&sprefix=32gb+3600mhz%2Caps%2C57&sr=8-13

13 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Crucial. I've never had issues in the 80 Ryzen builts I made with it.

But BTGbullseye said that the 18-20-20 timings on the 3600 Patriot were bad, wouldn't that make the 18-22-22 crucial even worse?

Thinking of getting this one with 16-19-19 for a bit more

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1473642/g-punt-skill-ripjaws-v-f4-3600c16d-32gvkc/reviews/

2 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

But BTGbullseye said that the 18-20-20 timings on the 3600 Patriot were bad, wouldn't that make the 18-22-22 crucial even worse?

You'll not notice any difference in performance. Stable operation is more important than a 1 CL tighter timing.

9 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

You'll not notice any difference in performance. Stable operation is more important than a 1 CL tighter timing.

So 4 of the Crucial ones should be good and I can save 30bucks? 🙂

sry for asking, I am just not sure about having 4 memory modules since I've always just had 2, and I'm not sure if there are performance differences that I should be aware of. Just never had to think this much about RAM before since it's never mattered this much 😄

Why do you want 4 dimms instead of 2?. And if you want 4 dimms, always use a kit of 4.

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Why do you want 4 dimms instead of 2?. And if you want 4 dimms, always use a kit of 4.

I wanted to go for 32GB to future proof. Browsers and background tasks keep using more and more RAM, so if I'm already going for new RAM I might as well get something I won't have to upgrade in a while 🙂

So getting the same 2x modules twice isn't a good idea?

12 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

So getting the same 2x modules twice isn't a good idea?

No, probably not the same batch. Better get 2x16GB if you want 32GB.

18 hours ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

The first one is actually not too bad, the second link is for much lower quality RAM. The name of the RAM very rarely indicates its quality. If you want something that definitely will work in any Ryzen system, and still give good or excellent performance, look for the G.Skill Flare X RAM, as it's specifically designed to handle the early Ryzen peculiarities.

The sweet spot for RAM with Ryzen 5000 is 3600Mt/s or 3800Mt/s, with all three primary timings the same. The reason for those Mt/s speeds is that the Infinity Fabric speed is based off of it, and the faster that goes, the faster your entire system will operate. (a significantly higher performance impact than the RAM speed itself could ever produce)

There are some sites out there with lists of the best RAM for Ryzen CPUs, and I would suggest looking them up if possible, as regular reviewers like LTT generally don't do long-term system stability testing related to RAM choices. I could recommend several great RAM kits, but it's entirely possible they are not available in your area.

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

Yes, and when using a Ryzen CPU, looser timings result in significantly less stability. (like the issue where ANY Ballistix RAM apart from the $600+ kits wouldn't even POST on Ryzen 1000 to early Ryzen 3000 chips without manually setting them to well below JEDEC specs) I'm not recommending solely based on the performance, despite it appearing so in my post.

49 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

No, probably not the same batch. Better get 2x16GB if you want 32GB.

Or a 4x8 kit, or two identical (even if manufactured 2 years apart) Samsung B-die 2x8 kits. (I don't have any reliable data on other combinations)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Alright!

I delved deep into this now with this

image.png.036ecca4abfd8ab6bf647551573396a5.png

And based of off this, and what is available in my region at reasonable prices I feel like this should be a good choice: KF432C16RB1K2/32

It's a 32GB kit with 3200Mts and 16-18-18. Anything faster with the same timings would be imo unreasonably more expensive after looking at this as well:https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

You can see that the faster ram results in IMO negligible improvements vs how much it costs.

The above kit is about 135-140 Euro here. The cheapest 3600Mts 16-18-18 I could find is around 180+ Euro.

If I'm incorrectly stating/interpreting anything, please let me know!