Zephyrus G14 Network Issue

HarrrrisonC

I recently received my new laptop the Zephyrus G14 (GA401HQ if thats helpful) and wanted to try out windows 11 and also wanted to try a fresh install without all the asus + mcafee bloatware. The media creation tool has finished and im now on the windows 11 setup (with the select your region and keyboard stuff). I now have to connect to the internet to basically begin setting up windows however no networks are showing up and after visiting the website that microsoft provided at the bottom of the screen (aka.ms/networksetup) and reinstalling the wifi drivers, I still can't connect to the internet. To be clear, I had amazing reception before this fresh install (i previously installed windows 11 with the windows update tool within the windows 10 settings. Is there any fix or should i go back to the store (bought it from a brick and mortar store)? 

Thanks in advance

IMG_0874.JPG

Do you have the ability to plug in a Network cable into it ? Otherwise I would try and give a clean windows 10 install a shot and see if the WiFi works there, before handing the device back to the shop. Also make sure there is no AirPlane mode or Wifi disable button/switch active on the device or something like that.

a) unfortunately there is no rj45 port on the device however i will try an buy a usb to rj45 adapter 🙂

b) I did try to press airplane mode (fn + f12) just incase i accidentally pressed it while i was spamming function keys bc it doesn't show which key to press to enter bios. However there is no indicator so i have no idea if it's on or off. Either way i did try to launch into setup twice both times pressing the airplane mode (just incase). 

I just tried and windows 10 managed to install without internet and (according to windows troubleshooter) ther isn't a properly installed network adapter. I tried to install the asus wifi from their website https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/ROG Zephyrus G14/HelpDesk_Download/ (it says my model is the GA401Q however there is no option, i don't think this should effect the wifi card so i just tried all of them) onto a usb stick then ran it on laptop and still it doesn't work.

I did open device manager and nothing intel came up under network adapters and everything had yellow exclamation marks next to them. I'm probably just gonna take it in tmr. 

Sadge

Chipset driver may need to be installed first before installing drivers for other components like wifi/audio/bluetooth/usb etc

This is probably why you are getting a lot of explanation marks in device manager as you do not have all the drivers installed.

3 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Chipset driver may need to be installed first before installing drivers for other components like wifi/audio/bluetooth/usb etc

This is probably why you are getting a lot of explanation marks in device manager as you do not have all the drivers installed.

This is most likely the problem. The driver for the wifi is not present and needs to be installed. You will either need to plug into Ethernet with an adapter or use Sysprep.

• 2 months later...

I have the G14 GA401QM, and like yours it came with a MediaTek WIFI card... which I had connections issues with on my home WIFI 6 network constantly, dropping signal, not detecting my network, disappearing from device manager after a Windows update, etc. The thing is MediaTek doesn't seem to do a great job keeping those drivers updated and I eventually just bought a AX200 (they had Intel WIFI in the previous model, guess they did it to cut price??) and replaced it. So I manually installed my drivers after doing a fresh install of Windows 10 and ZERO issues. I did need to have my computer plugged into my USB-C ethernet adapter.

Once I was set up, I installed the Intel Driver Support Assistant to keep my AX200 updated and I simply uncheck the updates that Asus sends me for the MediaTek card that I

removed. This LAN performs much better that the MediaTek did and I highly recommend changing your WIFI card, the AX200 or AX201 are under $30 pretty much anywhere.

I hope that helps you going forward.

I plan to do the same thing when I upgrade to Windows 11, my only hesitation is whether the issues with the AMD processors has been fully hashed out, not fully convinced on that front yet, I see a lot of conflicting info there.

On 3/10/2022 at 2:37 AM, TheDigitalHandyman said:

I have the G14 GA401QM, and like yours it came with a MediaTek WIFI card... which I had connections issues with on my home WIFI 6 network constantly, dropping signal, not detecting my network, disappearing from device manager after a Windows update, etc. The thing is MediaTek doesn't seem to do a great job keeping those drivers updated and I eventually just bought a AX200 (they had Intel WIFI in the previous model, guess they did it to cut price??) and replaced it. So I manually installed my drivers after doing a fresh install of Windows 10 and ZERO issues. I did need to have my computer plugged into my USB-C ethernet adapter.

Once I was set up, I installed the Intel Driver Support Assistant to keep my AX200 updated and I simply uncheck the updates that Asus sends me for the MediaTek card that I

removed. This LAN performs much better that the MediaTek did and I highly recommend changing your WIFI card, the AX200 or AX201 are under $30 pretty much anywhere.

I hope that helps you going forward.

I plan to do the same thing when I upgrade to Windows 11, my only hesitation is whether the issues with the AMD processors has been fully hashed out, not fully convinced on that front yet, I see a lot of conflicting info there.

From my experience I haven't had any issues connecting to wifi (I have WIFI 5 at home thought so that might be the reason why) and it's been completely fine. Good job on switching it out though, would of never thought to switch my wifi card. 

As for Windows 11 on AMD. Unless your seriously gaming (which I don't do on this laptop, just a load productivity and school work) it has run without issues on this laptop for the last 2 months. Not sure about the performance hit in gaming though. I'm currently still running windows 10 on my gaming pc at home as I have a older cpu without the tpm 2.0 module.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, HarrrrisonC said:

From my experience I haven't had any issues connecting to wifi (I have WIFI 5 at home thought so that might be the reason why) and it's been completely fine. Good job on switching it out though, would of never thought to switch my wifi card. 

As for Windows 11 on AMD. Unless your seriously gaming (which I don't do on this laptop, just a load productivity and school work) it has run without issues on this laptop for the last 2 months. Not sure about the performance hit in gaming though. I'm currently still running windows 10 on my gaming pc at home as I have a older cpu without the tpm 2.0 module.  

Hey
Did you managed to fix it without buying intel's one? Received GA401QM recently and can't even connect to wifi :(