How common is a catastrophic failure of an SSD?

Bobbysixjp
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

Depends on multiple factors, such as the conditions the drive is in, in terms of temperature, moisture levels etc. The age of the drive and the number of total writes performed on the drive.

Typically, without some external factor like a voltage spike or short, drives (both HDDs and SSDs) tend to fail either very early in their lifetime or towards the end, which for HDDs tends to be powered on hours and movement of the actuation arm/read head and for SSDs, tends to be the total number of writes to the drive, as well as age. Between that, catastrophic failure is very uncommon (think less than 1%) without some external cause, though they do happen, which is basically just bad luck.

There's nothing you can really do to prevent those kinds of failures, so instead you should focus on having a good backup solution in place for important data you don't want to lose, as the drives are just a method of storing data, some of which cannot be replaced, while the drive can be. Just a note here that RAID or other similar redundancy solutions are not a backup, nor is just copying the data to another drive that you have constant write access to. Either use a cold backup, where the drive is disconnected from the system after the backup completes, or by using a dedicated backup software that locks the drive to any writes outside of backups.

Some recommend doing a sort of burn in test on new drives to basically 0 the drive (write a 0 to every byte on the drive) to weed out early failures before putting any data on them.

My Samsung 980 has suddenly died (code 10 error in device manager and is not recognised in disk manager, etc).

So this got me wondering how common total failures like this are and what can be done to prevent them? 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

Sudden failures can and will happen as with anything - not much you can do about it, just bad luck. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Depends on multiple factors, such as the conditions the drive is in, in terms of temperature, moisture levels etc. The age of the drive and the number of total writes performed on the drive.

Typically, without some external factor like a voltage spike or short, drives (both HDDs and SSDs) tend to fail either very early in their lifetime or towards the end, which for HDDs tends to be powered on hours and movement of the actuation arm/read head and for SSDs, tends to be the total number of writes to the drive, as well as age. Between that, catastrophic failure is very uncommon (think less than 1%) without some external cause, though they do happen, which is basically just bad luck.

There's nothing you can really do to prevent those kinds of failures, so instead you should focus on having a good backup solution in place for important data you don't want to lose, as the drives are just a method of storing data, some of which cannot be replaced, while the drive can be. Just a note here that RAID or other similar redundancy solutions are not a backup, nor is just copying the data to another drive that you have constant write access to. Either use a cold backup, where the drive is disconnected from the system after the backup completes, or by using a dedicated backup software that locks the drive to any writes outside of backups.

Some recommend doing a sort of burn in test on new drives to basically 0 the drive (write a 0 to every byte on the drive) to weed out early failures before putting any data on them.

Not common.

Let's start by saying any drive can fail at any time. That's the #1 mantra of data retention. Anything you want to keep should be in three places, one of them off-site/in the cloud.

That said, aside from some sort of manufacturing defect, a drive should last many years. SSDs are more volatile than HDDs. They need trickle power to maintain their data, while HDDs can be completely removed from a computer and put in a safe or something. SSDs also degrade over time. The more you write to them, the shorter their lifespan. 

However, the Samsung 980 carries a 5 year warranty and is rated for up to 600 TBW (terabytes written). As such, it should have a decently long life in virtually any normalish usage scenario. Now, if you were using it to mine Chia or something, then yeah, you could expect a drive failure within a month.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I've had several SSD's fail. I just gave up and went back to reliable HDD's which have very low failure rates and literally can outlast any SSD.

I have yet to lose a data center grade SSD. Typically the main difference between these and consumer class is the server SSDs have added power protection. 

13 hours ago, wseaton said:

I have yet to lose a data center grade SSD. Typically the main difference between these and consumer class is the server SSDs have added power protection. 

Do you have examples of these data center grade SSD's?

Do they operate at the same speeds as consumer models?

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

I stick to Intel or Kingston data center SSDs for server builds requiring SATA and my reputation is on the line. In fact I no longer use RAID with smaller servers because the MTF ratings are much higher for the SSDs than any RAID controller I'm aware of. Proper backups fill in the gaps. Again, data center grade SSDs typically have extra power protection to buffer abrupt power loss. Optane has a solid industry rep.

Consumer NVMe is a different issue. Not enough scale experience with those. Storage devices using multiple NVMe sticks are fairly proprietary and likely not the same animal as an enthusiast MB with all kings of devices sharing the power bus.