Should I overclock my RAM? I am at 3200mhz for my 32GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM. I want to overclock it to like 3266mhz, or something slightly higher than the stock speed. I feel like it’ll make my PC unstable, but I have a 5900x, RTX 3060 Ti LHR, and a lot of cooling, so should I do it?

how are you doing today

I think rgb pro comes with a variety of dies, the desirable ones being micron and samsung, the sht ones being hynix

Use thaiphoon burner to check what ic your rams have

hynix will prob only do 3600-3866 max cause they suck ass

micron will do 4000+ with ease but isnt as tight at b die when it comes to timings

samsung i think some revisions of this kit had b die and if you have b die then expect to have good timings and freq like 4000 cl14

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think rgb pro comes with a variety of dies, the desirable ones being micron and samsung, the sht ones being hynix

Use thaiphoon burner to check what ic your rams have

hynix will prob only do 3600-3866 max cause they suck ass

micron will do 4000+ with ease but isnt as tight at b die when it comes to timings

samsung i think some revisions of this kit had b die and if you have b die then expect to have good timings and freq like 4000 cl14

My RAM is 3200mhz at CL16.

how are you doing today

You will see absolutely zero difference in performance going from 3200 to 3266 for RAM speeds. You should download Ryzen RAM calculator and set your system specs in it after you find out what chips and die you have on your Vengeance kit with Taiphoon and then use it to calculate what you can possibly use to achieve faster ram speeds. There are diminishing returns sometimes due to the looser nature of timings compared to slower speeds, but tighter timings. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

14 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You will see absolutely zero difference in performance going from 3200 to 3266 for RAM speeds. You should download Ryzen RAM calculator and set your system specs in it after you find out what chips and die you have on your Vengeance kit with Taiphoon and then use it to calculate what you can possibly use to achieve faster ram speeds. There are diminishing returns sometimes due to the looser nature of timings compared to slower speeds, but tighter timings. 

Ok, I am never overclocking again. I overclocked my RAM to 3400mhz and turned on CPB at the same time, and it wasn’t posting. I was panicking so much, but then it posted but was not stable, so I restarted and went into the BIOS and scaled my frequency back to 3200mhz and turned CPB to auto. That was a 15 minute emotional rollercoaster.

how are you doing today

Just now, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Ok, I am never overclocking again. I overclocked my RAM to 3400mhz and turned on CPB at the same time, and it wasn’t posting. I was panicking so much, but then it posted but was not stable, so I restarted and went into the BIOS and scaled my frequency back to 3200mhz and turned CPB to auto. That was a 15 minute emotional rollercoaster.

Welcome to Overclocking.. its all trial and error. What works for me, may or may not work for you.. its all about learning what each setting does and how to maximize what you get out of it. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Welcome to Overclocking.. its all trial and error. What works for me, may or may not work for you.. its all about learning what each setting does and how to maximize what you get out of it. 

There was also a blinking orange light next to the RAM, so it was definitely the RAM, not the CPB.

how are you doing today

2 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

There was also a blinking orange light next to the RAM, so it was definitely the RAM, not the CPB.

Chances are you would need to loosen the timings or up the DRAM voltages as you climb the frequency ladder. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 hour ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

You dont go ocing 2 things at the same time ffs, oc 1 thing at a time so you know what makes it (un)stable

Also knowing your ram ic would be very helpful in ram oc, thats why i reccomended thaiphoon burner

17 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

You dont go ocing 2 things at the same time ffs, oc 1 thing at a time so you know what makes it (un)stable

Also knowing your ram ic would be very helpful in ram oc, thats why i reccomended thaiphoon burner

For Thaiphoon, you have to download something and I really do not want to get a virus on my shiny-new PC because it is powerful, and yeah. Also, I’ve read things that say tat Thaiphoon is inaccurate and not worth downloading.

how are you doing today