samsung 980 pro 2TB M.2 or Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2

eagle12426

First on this post..If I have put this post in the wrong form area please let me know and tell me what form area should it have been put. Out of the two, that I have put in the "TITLE" subject line, and shortened the brands,  Which one is the best and why? Thank you again

Sincerely eagle12426

Thank you! I greatly appreciate your reply more than you know, with out a lot of flack on how I post something like I have had before. ! I'll check it out and let you know which one I have chosen and why. Thank you again.

If you're posting, it's always best to include your use case when you're asking for opinions on what's better, otherwise we have absolutely nothing to base a suggestion off of.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Both SSDs are great. They are made by well-known brands in the SSD market and they both have great performance and reliability alike. I would be happy with both, the Samsung has slightly higher read speeds and the writes should be identical/similar. The Crucial is slightly cheaper but if you're okay with ponying up an extra $40-$50 (USD) then you can get the Samsung. Just get which one is cheaper, they are both fantastic.

For anyone replying to my post(s) this is what I have so far for my build. I have not started it as of yet. Any comments on my going to be build are welcomed. This is what I have so far...what I'm going to be using in my build. I have other parts but this is what I narrowed it down to that I'll be putting in my build.

ThermalTake Tempered Glass Core X-71 Full tower

Gigabyte X570 Arous Master

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Gamer Storm Assassin III <--(Processor Cooler Just in case someone didn't know what this is)

XFX Speedsteer Mercury 319 RX 6700XT

Super Flower Leade X Platinum 1600w

I had put these specs in another post area. I want to get and put in "DELTA" fans, YES I know there a bit loud and that's ok. I can put/fit around 8-10 in this case, depending on the fan size.

I'm getting 128GB of ECC Unbuffered Dimms.  I have three slots for the M.2's on this motherboard. The first one will be for the 2TB, not sure how large I want to go in the other two slots. 

So there you have it, I don't think I forgot anything to list but, that's for another day about that. I'll try to copy this and paste these specs to other forms so I don't get anyone upset. Since I have edited this I'm asking more information. Can anyone tell me, with my build specs above,  has ANY compatibility issues. YES I could go to a  "BUILD compatibility AREA site"  but, I figured the experts that are in here are better because they have already experienced anything I could have in or during the build. Thank you in advance for your help.

The 980 PRO is arguably better but they're both solid drives. I run a P5 Plus myself, but this is because Crucial has been aggressive with pricing. The 176L flash is particularly good.

Thank you for your response NewMaxx and to everyone that replied to my post(s) if this is going to be going public instead of individually. I still am learning how to do ether way/one. Since I have the brain trauma and had mini strokes as a side note I want to thank everyone for being patient and understanding the way I write and phrase my post. If anyone needs me to clarify what I'm asking PLEASE just ask instead of criticizing my post. I think it is more professional of the one that would. Thank you again. 

For everyday use you’ll probably not notice the difference between the two. Yes, one might be faster in a certain benchmark but in everyday use this might translate to less than a second’s difference in load/boot time. Is this something that you’d really notice and is it worth the extra cost of one over the other?

Regarding reliability, I’ve had various drives from different manufacturers over the years and the only one that has failed was a Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe. This drive was only a few months old and it is still under warranty so I should be able to get a replacement. My Corsair P1 which is two years old is still going strong and is now my primary boot drive. Make of that what you will. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

Bobysixjp, thank you for that reply/response. Yes, I have heard of things like that in the 980 pro happening but, it can happen to everything electronic, and more. That is why in my build I'm getting ECC memory. Gigabyte themselves told me after contacting them I need to get "UNBUFFERED" type of ECC. So if things should happen at least I'll get that extra layer of protection to protect my data if something should pop up. Thanks again.