Gaming I have a cat5e ethernet cable should I upgrade?

Chriszzz

So i'm going to be replacing my motherboard and with gigabyte z690 arous pro + 12th gen i9 cpu haven't build it yet, it has a Intel® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbps/1 Gbps/100 Mbps) should I upgrade my Ethernet cable to a better cable? I need about 8m to each the router to next room? will a better cat cable make any difference in latency or improve connection in games?

my cat5e cable has been about 8 years old I think. Apparently I bought a cat6A cable 0.5m but my brother was using it it seems a bit thicker than the cable i'm hook with

thank you

Unless your network speeds are higher than gigabit your current cable will be fine provided it isn't physically broken. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Unless your network speeds are higher than gigabit your current cable will be fine provided it isn't physically broken. 

my internet download speed is like 100mb / 50 upload 😞 , if it makes no difference then i won't bother thank you 

Just now, Chriszzz said:

my internet download speed is like 100mb / 50 upload 😞 

Your current cable is fine. Upgrading your cable won't do anything for you. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just adding if your cat 5e cable is under I think like 10 to 25 meters and is rated for 350mhz then it can still likely do 10G, so 2.5G should be possible. Assuming of course the components at either end can that rated speed.

7 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

Just adding if your cat 5e cable is under I think like 10 to 25 meters and is rated for 350mhz then it can still likely do 10G, so 2.5G should be possible. Assuming of course the components at either end can that rated speed.

It's been a long time I bought that cable i checked it today the cable says cat5e, it was around 10m when I bought it. But my ISP download speed is 100mbs? (Australia NBN), So it's not going to reach a Gig despite which LAN network I have on my mob?

20 minutes ago, Chriszzz said:

But my ISP download speed is 100mbs? (Australia NBN), So it's not going to reach a Gig despite which LAN network I have on my mob?

What speeds are you paying for from your ISP?

Provided you have the necessary LAN infrastructure, you should be able to reach close to 1Gbps internally (i.e. on the LAN).

3 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What speeds are you paying for from your ISP?

Provided you have the necessary LAN infrastructure, you should be able to reach close to 1Gbps internally (i.e. on the LAN).

nvm I have 270mb download speed

12520574917.png

sorry I'm confused with the lan speed is that different to the internet speed? so my mobo says 2.5 gbs does that mean it can delivery 2.5gbs of data? 

5 hours ago, Chriszzz said:

nvm I have 270mb download speed

12520574917.png

sorry I'm confused with the lan speed is that different to the internet speed? so my mobo says 2.5 gbs does that mean it can delivery 2.5gbs of data? 

You can't get higher internet (WAN-to-LAN) download speeds unless you pay your ISP for it.

So if you're paying for 270Mbps, then that's what you'll be limited to, even if your Cat5e (capable of 1Gbps) or NIC (capable of 2.5Gbps) can achieve much higher. You don't magically get more because you have the capacity, but it means you have room to upgrade if you pay your ISP more money.

The LAN side of things is a little different. If you're transferring files between devices on your LAN you'll be limited to 1Gbps (i.e. the Cat5e cable) if that's the slowest point in your network. You can't achieve 2.5Gbps internally unless you're connected to a switch/router with the same/higher speed port.

5 hours ago, Chriszzz said:

It means it can receive (and usually also send) up to 2.5Gb/s.

LAN speed can be different from internet speed. It’s all about the slowest link in the chain. Your Mobo is good for 2.5Gb/s. Your cable is (theoretically) good to 10Gb/s over a short enough length. Your router/modem is probably good for 1Gb/s. Your internet provider is only 270Mb/s. When connecting to the internet, that 270Mb/s is the limiting factor. But if you have another device on your network, your PC will have a 1Gb/s connection to it, with the router being the limiting factor.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:03 PM, Chriszzz said:

So i'm going to be replacing my motherboard and with gigabyte z690 arous pro + 12th gen i9 cpu haven't build it yet, it has a Intel® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbps/1 Gbps/100 Mbps) should I upgrade my Ethernet cable to a better cable? I need about 8m to each the router to next room? will a better cat cable make any difference in latency or improve connection in games?

my cat5e cable has been about 8 years old I think. Apparently I bought a cat6A cable 0.5m but my brother was using it it seems a bit thicker than the cable i'm hook with

thank you

I would expect zero change, provided the cable is in good shape.  Check for any packet loss in your NIC properties, and if you see none you'll be good to go.

Also remember that that 2.5GbE chip needs a 2.5GbE switch or router on the other end to even hit that speed - 99% chance you'll still be at 1 Gbps, and the new 2.5 GbE chips are actually much more tolerant of bad cable than your existing one.

Anybody telling you upgrade for more speed without actually checking if the problem is the cable (e.g. packet loss) is selling you something - and if it's Audioquest, they're selling you snake oil.