slow internet speed.

THE ELITE BAMBI

my internet is slower than i paying for I've reset both modem and router does not help plugged my pc straight into the modem it made it a bit faster i got 1 gig internet and im only getting 300 mbps down and 40 up the upload is fine. i go through spectrum and I've tried this on several different devices i got a ryzen 3700x rtx 3060 16 gb ram. i don't know if I'm over looking something or if my modem is just bad or the wiring. i also got a r7000 nighthawk router but the one spectrum sent me has no difference.

speed test.png

8 minutes ago, THE ELITE BAMBI said:

my internet is slower than i paying for I've reset both modem and router does not help plugged my pc straight into the modem it made it a bit faster i got 1 gig internet and im only getting 300 mbps down and 40 up the upload is fine. i go through spectrum and I've tried this on several different devices i got a ryzen 3700x rtx 3060 16 gb ram. i don't know if I'm over looking something or if my modem is just bad or the wiring. i also got a r7000 nighthawk router but the one spectrum sent me has no difference.

speed test.png

Don’t plug things directly into your modem… that is effectively bypassing your routers firewall and a guaranteed way to get pwned. Windows is not meant to be exposed to the internet. 

But, to actually address the speed issue, did spectrum provide the modem? I assume so since if it’s gig it’s fiber. So it’s on spectrum to get it going at full speed. Either the modem is bad or the cables on their end (everything on the input side of the modem all the way back to “the internet itself” is spectrums problem). 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

are you using Wifi or ethernet? Just having your Wifi on AND ethernet plugged in, sometimes it will still default to wifi so do make sure you turn wifi off. You almost never will get full internet speed unless the conditions are perfect. Generally speaking if you are paying for 1 gig internet, expect around 850 up and down, so based on your picture either one of three things is happening. 

#1 You have Bad wiring, either the Ethernet cable is not the proper cable or its not functioning properly.

#2 Your internet provider lied and is NOT giving you 1 gig up and down, you may be only getting 300 up and 50 down etc, a lot of these things happen.

#3 Your ports on the router arent properly working. They should be at least 1 Gig ethernet ports, maybe even 2.5 Gig. Do make sure on the chain of connections that all ports are at least 1 Gig ports with Cat 5e or Cat 6a Cabling.

Bonus #4 Wifi Will never meet Ethernet speeds, Even with the Best of the best wifi adapters and cards, if theres a wall or a few walls in the way, you will have signal loss. So unless you are testing right next to your router, dont expect perfect speeds on wifi. Ethernet should be able to travel within a certain margin, usually within the house your fine 

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Don’t plug things directly into your modem… that is effectively bypassing your routers firewall and a guaranteed way to get pwned. Windows is not meant to be exposed to the internet. 

But, to actually address the speed issue, did spectrum provide the modem? I assume so since if it’s gig it’s fiber. So it’s on spectrum to get it going at full speed. Either the modem is bad or the cables on their end (everything on the input side of the modem all the way back to “the internet itself” is spectrums problem). 

Most routers are Modem router combos, as long as you do safe practices you should be fine and "Exposing it" means jack shit.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Most routers are Modem router combos, as long as you do safe practices you should be fine and "Exposing it" means jack shit

Modems will not have any firewall…. So you would be placing your windows machine on your WAN IP with 0 ports blocked. So many fun ways a windows box would get pwned in that configuration. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

i got ethernet its a cat 5 cable this router worked perfect at my old house was paying for 400 mbps and i was getting over 500 mbps

18 minutes ago, THE ELITE BAMBI said:

i got ethernet its a cat 5 cable this router worked perfect at my old house was paying for 400 mbps and i was getting over 500 mbps

Cat5 or 5e? 5 is only good up to 100mbps (it will do more over short distances). 5e is good for full gigabit. 

and its giving me the same speeds nothing is downloading its only my phone and pc connected

9 minutes ago, THE ELITE BAMBI said:

and its giving me the same speeds nothing is downloading its only my phone and pc connected

I would call spectrum. If your paying for gig they can test to see what speed they get to the modem. But is it gig fiber you have? Because I would expect your upload to be gig as well… I think. 

Your upload being so low seems like your being limited on their end. What is your upload supposed to be? 

57 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Most routers are Modem router combos, as long as you do safe practices you should be fine and "Exposing it" means jack shit.

Heres the funny thing. Spectrum is the only cable company that actually provides a standard Docsis Cable modem. If it was any other US cable provider you would be correct. 

1 hour ago, THE ELITE BAMBI said:

my modem

What modem do you have specifically? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

they are sending me a new one for the upgrade to gigabit but this should still be giving me over 400 like at my old house i was getting almost 600 mbps.

1 minute ago, THE ELITE BAMBI said:
Motorola E31T2V1

The modem is capable of Gigabit. What I would do is try connecting directly to the modem and doing a speed test. If that doesnt provide full speed then you will probably need to contact the ISP for help. I dont think Spectrum allows customers access to the modem diagnostic pages which could show signal info and such. If you do get full speed out of the modem then its a problem with something on your end. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

they are sending a technician next weekend i was just hoping i wasn't doing anything stupid and I've tried directly connecting to the modem and it gave pretty much the same result. 

• 2 weeks later...

ok its still slower sorry for the late reply but i had windows 11 and just installed windows 10 and my speeds jumped from 300 mbps to over 800