Intel Core i9-12900K or Intel Core i7-12700K Boxed with DDR4

Hello everybody,

Merry Christmas.

I am planning to build a new PC, because my i5 6400 is always 100% in use by games.

I playing a lot of games, playing with virtual machines in VMWare workstation, render sometimes videos via Vegas and I want to do livestreaming.

In game benchmarks there's no difference, but in workload is the I9 better.

Is it better to spend more €200 for the I9 or safe it?

3 minutes ago, JonnyKennedy said:

Hello everybody,

Merry Christmas.

I am planning to build a new PC, because my i5 6400 is always 100% in use by games.

I playing a lot of games, playing with virtual machines in VMWare workstation, render sometimes videos via Vegas and I want to do livestreaming.

In game benchmarks there's no difference, but in workload is the I9 better.

Is it better to spend more €200 for the I9 or safe it?

for your type of use i think the 12900k is worth it

Main:

• CPU
    10700k 5ghz All core 47 ring ratio 1.275v
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z590 A Pro
  • RAM
    4x8 viper steel samsung bdie: 4200-17-17-30
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming Oc
  • Case
    O11 air mini
  • Storage
    970 Evo Plus 500gb OS, Sn550 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 2tb MX500
  • PSU
    RM750x (2018)
  • Display(s)
    Acer Nitro vg272up, Kogan 24 1080 120hz
  • Cooling
    arctic 280aio, EK M.2 NVMe Heatsink on 970 evo plus

Second: 
    Cpu: i5-8400
    Cooling: ID-Cooling Frostflow 120x
    Ram: 2x8gb 2666 c16 hyperx fury, tuned the absolute balls out of it but def not stehble.
    Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-K
    Gpu: Igpu
    Case: Coolermaster MB311L

Personally, I don't think the i9 is worth the premium. You get 4 more E cores and a bit more frequency at stock, but that's pretty much it. Yes, you can use the cores, for what you're doing, but I think the extra money would be better spent elsewhere unless everything else is top of the line. For example, it could be spent on upgrading your RAM capacity, unless you were already planning on getting 32GB or more.

4 minutes ago, MingLee420 said:

for your type of use i think the 12900k is worth it

For the rendering of videos and VMware useage I think?

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

Personally, I don't think the i9 is worth the premium. You get 4 more E cores and a bit more frequency at stock, but that's pretty much it. Yes, you can use the cores, for what you're doing, but I think the extra money would be better spent elsewhere unless everything else is top of the line. For example, it could be spent on upgrading your RAM capacity, unless you were already planning on getting 32GB or more.

With the current prizes of DDR5 is for 32GB €399! the DDR4 module of 32GB is €145 (it sucks to be an early adopter).

Maybe I'll go later for an DDR5 motherboard and ram if the prices are normal like DDR4.

Will DDR4 a huge bottleneck?

2 minutes ago, JonnyKennedy said:

With the current prizes of DDR5 is for 32GB €399! the DDR4 module of 32GB is €145 (it sucks to be an early adopter). Maybe I'll go later for an DDR5 motherboard and ram if the prices are normal like DDR4.

Will DDR4 a huge bottleneck?

It really depends on the application. In compression work, for example, the extra bandwidth of DDR5 makes a big difference. But in most situations, it doesn't matter too much.

But to this point, if you are price sensitive, I would again point you to the 12700K, as it is a better value product. On top of the CPU price, you also won't need to spend extra on a high end liquid cooler.

11 minutes ago, HQuan said:

VMWare? I think you can go with an i9 gen 12.

Yeah I am using with the i5 6400 too, but I like to do some hobby stuff like creating a exchange and active directory stuff. With 4 core it isn't enough.

4 hours ago, HQuan said:

VMWare? I think you can go with an i9 gen 12.

Not worth the extra 200 Euros over the 12700K.

15 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Not worth the extra 200 Euros over the 12700K.

And for livestreaming on twitch?

If you go for i9 you need very expencive cooler because that chip is very hot. If you do not have that big buget go for i7.

4 hours ago, Nick123pc said:

If you go for i9 you need very expencive cooler because that chip is very hot. If you do not have that big buget go for i7.

If aio is better than air then I'll go for the aio and vica versa.

Is i9 more future proof (like a year of two upgrading)?

7 hours ago, JonnyKennedy said:

And for livestreaming on twitch?

I would still take the 12700K. The extra 4 E Cores won't make any difference for gaming. You can use Nvenc for encoding if you have an Nvidia gpu.

Just now, lee32uk said:

I would still take the 12700K. The extra 4 E Cores won't make any difference for gaming. You can use Nvenc for encoding if you have an Nvidia gpu.

I have now a GTX 1660 Super, so not the fastest card right now (you know the GPU shortage).

I saw at tweakers the i9 got 100fps more by streaming than the i7, but still more than AMD.

is less 4x e core less future proof?

Is it better to wait to the ryzen 6000 series from AMD or does it take a while when it's announced? 

23 hours ago, JonnyKennedy said:

I have now a GTX 1660 Super, so not the fastest card right now (you know the GPU shortage).

I saw at tweakers the i9 got 100fps more by streaming than the i7, but still more than AMD.

is less 4x e core less future proof?

Is it better to wait to the ryzen 6000 series from AMD or does it take a while when it's announced? 

You might get a higher framerate with cpu encoding (x264) on the 12900K, but you can always use the gpu instead as the 1660 Super supports Nvenc.