Ikea Malm vs microphone arm

Tzztr Rrtr

Hey everyone,

I am finally looking into buying a proper mic so my friends can enjoy my silky smooth voice with proper quality.

I have a huge concern though. I have seen some pictures where the arms just dig themselves into Ikea desks and it's game over...

Will my Malm Ikea desk crumble when I attach a microphone arm onto it?

From the Ikea webiste: image.png.42a95c9e49c91d3d40f432a1b1007b58.png

So Malm is also basically hollow inside.

If it's heavy enough, and/or tightened enough. It will in the long run.

Me, I usually grab a wide enough & thin enough (like 1-2cm thickness) board and cover one side with eva foam / silicone.
Then place that board between the arm clamp & table, foam side towards the table. Do this for both side, if for some reason I can only use it on 1 side, focus on the side with smaller pressure point.
So that it acts like a cushion & pressure distributor.

3rd picture is an example, the guy uses cardboard instead of foam.
Also he uses 2 additional clamp to secure the board to the table,
so that he can mount the arm on the "floating" side of the board instead "directly" on table.

Optionally if your room is big enough, you can use tripod based mic arm.
If your table close to wall, you can try using wall mounted mic arm

If you don't mind a bit DIY-ing, especially if you don't mind using epoxy.
You can turn it into almost any kinda of mounting. Even tabletop. (like 3rd pic , pink one)
But yea, Tabletop gonna hog your desk real estate.

WallMic.jpg

TripodMic.jpg

5Jrgd.jpg

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I'd add some sort of plate between the table and the mounting for the arm, above and bellow, to avoid crushing your desk

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

41 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'd add some sort of plate between the table and the mounting for the arm, above and bellow, to avoid crushing your desk

49 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

If it's heavy enough, and/or tightened enough. It will in the long run.

Me, I usually grab a wide enough & thin enough (like 1-2cm thickness) board and cover one side with eva foam / silicone.
Then place that board between the arm clamp & table, foam side towards the table. Do this for both side, if for some reason I can only use it on 1 side, focus on the side with smaller pressure point.
So that it acts like a cushion & pressure distributor.

3rd picture is an example, the guy uses cardboard instead of foam.
Also he uses 2 additional clamp to secure the board to the table,
so that he can mount the arm on the "floating" side of the board instead "directly" on table.

Optionally if your room is big enough, you can use tripod based mic arm.
If your table close to wall, you can try using wall mounted mic arm

If you don't mind a bit DIY-ing, especially if you don't mind using epoxy.
You can turn it into almost any kinda of mounting. Even tabletop. (like 3rd pic , pink one)
But yea, Tabletop gonna hog your desk real estate.

WallMic.jpg

TripodMic.jpg

5Jrgd.jpg

Thanks for the in depth response!

So I'll basically have to look for something that has a clamp that is big enough to accompany the desk itself and the plates.

Do you have any suggestions?

59 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Thanks for the in depth response!

So I'll basically have to look for something that has a clamp that is big enough to accompany the desk itself and the plates.

Do you have any suggestions?

Buy a cheap cutting board, or ask for throw aways at your nearest woodworker.
Heck, pretty sure hardware store that provides cutting/sawing service will have some too. They'd probably give you for free if you ask nicely
You don't exactly need a very long one afterall. At most 3 times the arm's largest surface that supposedly touch your table.
Example, long enough to be cut into two or four part. :
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-cardinalfish-Canvas-Scroll-Poster/dp/B00VHB15L4/ref=sr_1_26?field-material_browse=720784011&pf_rd_i=289863&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=25b59836-f507-48c7-81ec-ed2559c68edf&pf_rd_r=D4BJ2WFA1BH7DECYH3E6&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1640431322&s=kitchen&sr=1-26

Clamp : Nearest hardware store, buy a big enough C clamp or F clamp.

Foam either you buy or grab one of those foam used to pack electronics. Cutting mat. Broken yoga matress.
Silicone : baking mat
Or just use thick enough cardboard. Since the idea is simply to soften the effect of the board/clamp edges.

if you want to install the arm directly "on" your table instead of "floating" beside it, you don't need the additional clamp. The arm's clamp itself becomes the additional clamp.
Which is the cheapest method. (Since most likely you can get all you need for free)

Measure your table thickness, measure your arm clamp maximum range.
Deduct max range with table thickness. Deduct it again around 1-2cm for cardboard/foam.
(You don't need to make the  foam/cardboard 1cm thick each side, even 2-3mm is thick enough if it's only for mic).
Divide the result by 2.
Now you know what's the maximum thickness of add-on board you can get.

Think of it like you are screwing CPU cooler when tightening the clamp, you don't want it loose, but also don't go all ham on it.

Yipee2.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.