Unsure Which Version Of Sonic Colors: Ultimate Is Best... Would LOVE To Hear Your Thoughts/Opinions/Experiences, etc!!

Kjennings92

Well, this 1 might be a little interesting to say the least.

I've considered getting Sonic Colors: Ultimate as a late Christmas present for myself & have looked up some reviews. [Depending on where you look & when the review(s) themselves come out, they can be a bit mixed for sure.] What I'm really torn between however, is trying to decide which version is best. I mainly seem to be torn between the version for the Nintendo Switch or the version for pc. I know for a fact since it launched/came out, it has gotten better & improved, but nonetheless, I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts/opinions/experiences on the game & like which version(s) you believe are best.  

Personally, I am really eager to try it out considering I haven't played it yet! 😄 Like always, if any of you need more details or wish to ask me anything about this topic, feel free to do so & I'll get back with you! 🙂 Thanks in advance & hope someone here can help me make up my mind.

So here's the Digital Foundry analysis of the visuals and performance.

It doesn't look like the Switch version is optimized very well. I would recommend the PC version, if it weren't forthe fact that it's an Epic Games Store exclusive right now. It seems the general consensus is that EGS is terrible and likely to fail soon, mening any games with DRM tied to EGS will become unplayable.

If you have no qualms about it, I'd suggest downloading the Wii rom from somewhere and run it on the Dolphin emulator. There also should exist mods for the game to get it to run at 60fps. Plus if you have a decent android device, I can confirm that the game runs flawlessly. If after all that you still want to buy Ultimate, the game is supposed to release on other pc platforms at the one year anniversary of its release. Once that happens you can probably get it on Steam and play it on the Steam Deck, which will likely perform better than the Switch version.

21 hours ago, Dragonwinged said:

So here's the Digital Foundry analysis of the visuals and performance.

It doesn't look like the Switch version is optimized very well. I would recommend the PC version, if it weren't forthe fact that it's an Epic Games Store exclusive right now. It seems the general consensus is that EGS is terrible and likely to fail soon, mening any games with DRM tied to EGS will become unplayable.

If you have no qualms about it, I'd suggest downloading the Wii rom from somewhere and run it on the Dolphin emulator. There also should exist mods for the game to get it to run at 60fps. Plus if you have a decent android device, I can confirm that the game runs flawlessly. If after all that you still want to buy Ultimate, the game is supposed to release on other pc platforms at the one year anniversary of its release. Once that happens you can probably get it on Steam and play it on the Steam Deck, which will likely perform better than the Switch version.

Thanks for the reply! :) Yeah, I actually looked up reviews of the PC version itself & only found the video you recommended. Also, thus far, I AM aware that it's available via the EGS & I don't have anything against them really. I'm a bit curious to know however, if I have any other options for running the game on PC other than via the EGS. I'm thinking of getting the Deluxe version. [I don't really have any plans at the moment to get a high-end console as much as I kind of want to. But who knows, that might change in the very near future...] ;)