Not sure if this is possible...

steelo

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm using a rpi zero W to run MotionEyeOS...it works quite well and records any motion detected to an attached USB drive, as well as Google Drive. However, I am wondering if it would be possible (or even feasible) to link this to our Alexa dot devices to alert us whenever motion is detected. I've googled the subject and really wasn't able to find anything relevant. I don't see any Alexa skills pertaining to this, but I was wanting to know if there is a possible workaround where it detects whenever a new video/image file has been created.

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Write your own alexa skill. Takes roughly 1 hour if you watch the tutorials on youtube.

That's a good idea...I have 4 days off work to try this. 😀

I found a simple solution using IFTTT website (if this then that) For now, whenever motion is detected, it sends me a text message. If I receive a text alert while away from home, I simply open up Google Drive to review the uploaded images and video. I hope to integrate Alexa into this tomorrow to prompt a voice alert.

If anyone is using MotionEyeOS, this is a really fun and rewarding project! The IFTTT website is kind of quirky, but easy once you get used to it =)

https://learn.pi-supply.com/make/adding-push-notifications-motioneyeos-formerly-motionpie/