970 evo plus 1tb is a good choice after downgrade?

SuperFlower

I want to buy a nvme 1tb and I'm looking at 970 evo plus. Been reading that they changed components and many are reporting high temps and failing.

What is the truth about it? I'll use it on a z390 aorus pro 

52 minutes ago, SuperFlower said:

I want to buy a nvme 1tb and I'm looking at 970 evo plus. Been reading that they changed components and many are reporting high temps and failing.

What is the truth about it? I'll use it on a z390 aorus pro 

I’ve got a wind force 970.  It had 2 issues.  One is the 970 isn’t a 4gb card it’s a 3.5gb card because the last half gb is almost unusable. Another is win10 has had problems with them. When I updated to win10 it literally turned my card off. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Right you are.  In retrospect I don’t know how I read that as video card. Sorry.  If you want an early model of it, you might need to check by serial number which is something that often isn’t possible mail order, but can be done brick-and-mortar  970 nvme was never super popular around here. It was kind of mid tier and the preference was generally to go over or under it. I generally think of 980 and 980 pro for those things.  Generally one wants high speed or cheap. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

No need to worry about it.

I wanted to purchase that nvme so I carefully read much about it.

Yeah it does reach high temps but that doesn't necessary mean it will fail.

Controller heats and it reduces the read and write performance and that is all.

That is good midrange nvme among most popular in pci-e 4.0 region so go for it.

Ofc in case you are worried you can purchase separate nvme heatsink with thermalpad.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

@frozensun I have heatsink with thermalpads on my motherboard. 

I was just worried about the downgrade samsung made from the previous version

The new 970 EVO Plus is not a downgrade. The new controller, the Elpis, is also on the 980 PRO; it is produced in the 8nm Samsung process node instead of the old 14nm with the original Phoenix. Since it's constrained by the PCIe 3.0 PHY and denser flash it's going to run cooler if anything. The flash is now 128L, versus 92L, and in general more layers is better - in this case it should be a bit more energy efficient and also have a bit better 4k performance. The new 970 EVO Plus also comes with TurboWrite 2.0 (Samsung's SLC caching scheme) versus 1.0, which in general is superior for consumer use. The only "downgrade" would be denser flash (except at 2TB) which has lower sustained sequential write speeds, but this is largely irrelevant.