i5-11600k hitting 100 degrees on two coolers

AdvocateOfNyx
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

hmmmm, that first picture seems to suggest that the retention bracket that goes over the cold plate may not be seated properly? You should also rotate your cooler 90 degrees counter clockwise so the fans is taking in fresh air and pushing it out the back. Right now your cooler is pulling in hot air from your GPU and is likely a MAJOR source of the issue as its not getting fresh cool air, but massively heated air from the GPU. 

I just upgraded to an 11600k, and it's been terrible as far as thermals are concerned.  I've had HWMonitor open basically the whole time since the upgrade, so I've been keeping a close eye on the temps.  I first was using an old stock cooler from a 6th generation processor but decided to pick up a Hyper 212 Evo after it hit 97 degrees after about 2 games of Apex.  After installing this cooler, it seems to have not changed one bit.  I played Minecraft with shaders for about 5 minutes before my CPU shot up to 100 degrees on two cores. 

Now, I DID have to remove a fan to make the 212 Evo fit.  I only have 2 fans to my name, one of which sat above the CPU cooler on the case and no longer fit with the taller cooler, meaning I am now only running one intake fan and 0 exhaust.  The fan is too small to be mounted anywhere else in my case.  To be fair though, my intake fan is pushing air directly on the CPU cooler and my case is extremely open.  It's a hand-me-down with none of the PCIE blockers and a giant hole in the front for a DVD drive that does not exist.  I also tried with the side panel off and the CPU still got hot very quickly.

What exactly is the next step here?  I would say maybe it was a bad cooler mount, but twice?  On two separate coolers?  And the cooler will not move an inch, it's definitely tight on there.  My next thought was airflow, but if I have the problem with the side panel off, I feel like it probably isn't that either.  It isn't overclocked at all, just the normal boost to 4.5-4.9Ghz then back down to 3.9-4.1Ghz after a little bit.  And yes, I did only use a pea sized dot of thermal paste (first left over Noctua for stock cooler, then included thermal paste with 212 Evo) in the middle of the CPU. 

Any ideas on what to do next?

Edit: Thought I would include idle temps.  Currently ranging from 40-46 degrees while typing this with HWMonitor open on my second monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MHPVqp

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

wait, you removed the fan from the heatsink and are expecting the case airflow to push air through the fin stack of the heatsink to cool it down? If so, this is your problem.  You need active air flow through the fin stack from the fan attached to the fin stack to sufficiently cool, case airflow is NOT enough. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

wait, you removed the fan from the heatsink and are expecting the case airflow to push air through the fin stack of the heatsink to cool it down? If so, this is your problem.  You need active air flow through the fin stack from the fan attached to the fin stack to sufficiently cool, case airflow is NOT enough. 

NO!  Lol, maybe I should have been clearer.  My case had a CHASSIS fan mounted on the side panel right above the CPU heatsink which I had to remove.  Still have the fan on the cooler, it's actually mounted by default on the side of the Hyper 212 Evo because there is no room on the top.

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

1 minute ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

NO!  Lol, maybe I should have been clearer.  My case had a CHASSIS fan mounted on the side panel right above the CPU heatsink which I had to remove.  Still have the fan on the cooler, it's actually mounted by default on the side of the Hyper 212 Evo because there is no room on the top.

ok, that makes more sense now lol. The Hyper 212 should be enough to cool a 11600k honestly. Next question then is you did remove the plastic peel from the bottom of the 212 cooler before putting thermal paste and mounting it correct?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

ok, that makes more sense now lol. The Hyper 212 should be enough to cool a 11600k honestly. Next question then is you did remove the plastic peel from the bottom of the 212 cooler before putting thermal paste and mounting it correct?

Yes, I did remove the peel.  I actually watched 2 different installation videos because the paper instructions were not super great.  I am also editing my post to include a full part list because I realized I forgot to do that in the first place.

3 minutes ago, HQuan said:

Do you tried to turn it off and on again? (JOKE)

Hmm, can you try to use more thermal paste or just another type of thermal paste?

I kinda went for a larger sized pea, nothing too crazy but definitely not minimal at all.  I don't know that I'd feel comfortable using much more than what I did.  I only have the Noctua and the Cooler Master thermal paste available to me right now.  I feel like I've read a million times that the brand of thermal paste you use shouldn't have a massive impact unless you're trying to min-max your temps and overclock, but I am willing to give it a try if nothing else works.

Just now, HQuan said:

Wait, I just think off... what happen if you mix thermal paste... (I will try tonight!)

If I had to guess probably not a whole lot lol but I am interested to see what you find.

19 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

I kinda went for a larger sized pea, nothing too crazy but definitely not minimal at all.  I don't know that I'd feel comfortable using much more than what I did.  I only have the Noctua and the Cooler Master thermal paste available to me right now.  I feel like I've read a million times that the brand of thermal paste you use shouldn't have a massive impact unless you're trying to min-max your temps and overclock, but I am willing to give it a try if nothing else works.

That should be fine and more than enough. If in doubt, you could spread it manually across the IHS to ensure full coverage, but I feel its fine. If you do take it off again, I would be curious to see the spread of it, but should be fine. Please do take pictures so we can see and help. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

That should be fine and more than enough. If in doubt, you could spread it manually across the IHS to ensure full coverage, but I feel its fine. If you do take it off again, I would be curious to see the spread of it, but should be fine. Please do take pictures so we can see and help. 

Admittedly I'm not entirely sure what I should be taking pictures of.  I'll probably try to remount it tomorrow, it's currently 5am so not really up to it.  I didn't really want to do this but it is what it is.  Also, I'm not entirely sure what to take pictures of but here are two.  I couldn't get my phone to focus correctly inside the PC but I think you can still see the contact.

I do wonder if that little metal thing is supposed to be pushing down on the cpu to increase contact?  Impossible to see without sticking a camera in there because the space is too tight but I did notice it now that I took the picture.

20211222_050510.thumb.jpg.1c72b1f29cb1bbd203dd347e554fe8fe.jpg20211222_050419.thumb.jpg.ee442ccee2fbac20021923c3060a0cb6.jpg

hmmmm, that first picture seems to suggest that the retention bracket that goes over the cold plate may not be seated properly? You should also rotate your cooler 90 degrees counter clockwise so the fans is taking in fresh air and pushing it out the back. Right now your cooler is pulling in hot air from your GPU and is likely a MAJOR source of the issue as its not getting fresh cool air, but massively heated air from the GPU. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

12 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Admittedly I'm not entirely sure what I should be taking pictures of.  I'll probably try to remount it tomorrow, it's currently 5am so not really up to it.  I didn't really want to do this but it is what it is.  Also, I'm not entirely sure what to take pictures of but here are two.  I couldn't get my phone to focus correctly inside the PC but I think you can still see the contact.

I do wonder if that little metal thing is supposed to be pushing down on the cpu to increase contact?  Impossible to see without sticking a camera in there because the space is too tight but I did notice it now that I took the picture.

Just judging by your first picture, it kinda looks like there's some space between the cooler's coldplate and your CPU. Hard to tell because it's so up close and blurry. But I'd suspect poor contact.

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I went with that orientation because the picture showed it facing that way in the instructions.  So it's all good to rotate it 90 degrees?

2 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

I went with that orientation because the picture showed it facing that way in the instructions.  So it's all good to rotate it 90 degrees?

100% will be fine and should help some, but I still suspect somethings wrong with the mounting based on the first picture. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

100% will be fine and should help some, but I still suspect somethings wrong with the mounting based on the first picture. 

I also.

I have a feeling that the left big screw is not tighten to where it should be...

5 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

tag

Can you give me the model of the cooler please! I will find the fricking datasheet and find out what wrong.

4 minutes ago, HQuan said:

Can you give me the model of the cooler please! I will find the fricking datasheet and find out what wrong.

Stated in the Op, its the Hyper 212 Evo. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

5 minutes ago, HQuan said:

I also.

I have a feeling that the left big screw is not tighten to where it should be...

Hyper 212 Evo!

43 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I decided to just go for it because I'm not tired and everything that could go wrong so far has gone wrong.  I don't want to go into detail but I broke a motherboard/standoff screw.  Like literally broke the head off the stem.  I don't even know how that happens.  I don't have replacements, this case came with 4 and I have 4.  Now 3.  RIP.  Anyways, I'll update whenever I get this shit show figured out.

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Well, there's good news and there's bad news and there's good news and bad news and good news again.  Good news, coolers mounted, looks all good.  Bad news, failed to post 3 times.  Good news, it posted.  Bad news, I'm on a black screen that says "uefi defaults loaded.". Good news, I booted in to Windows after all that.  ??????

Absolutely no idea what that means.  Anyways, idle temps are now in the 30s instead of the 40s.  0 energy left for gaming tonight, will update tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Well, there's good news and there's bad news and there's good news and bad news and good news again.  Good news, coolers mounted, looks all good.  Bad news, failed to post 3 times.  Good news, it posted.  Bad news, I'm on a black screen that says "uefi defaults loaded.". Good news, I booted in to Windows after all that.  ??????

Absolutely no idea what that means.  Anyways, idle temps are now in the 30s instead of the 40s.  0 energy left for gaming tonight, will update tomorrow.

3 failed followed by 1 good means it tried to load the settings in the BIOS, usually an overclock or XMP but failed so it reset all the settings back to default. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

3 failed followed by 1 good means it tried to load the settings in the BIOS, usually an overclock or XMP but failed so it reset all the settings back to default. 

I've had that experience before when playing around with overclocking but my bios settings were stock.  Like literally bone stock.  I opened it once to check that everything was good, then exited and discarded changes.  Oh well though, I'm not complaining if it works!

11 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Been playing Apex for 3 hours and nothing over 75.  Very happy with how it turned out.  Thank you!