Cyberpower PC bad OC

A friend of mine bought a PC from Cyberpower (yes I offered to build one, his family don't trust me...) and we have found that the CPU is unstable. We were considering clearing the overclock, but we are concerned that this would void the warranty. Their warranty terms are very specific about increasing the clocks above what they ship it with, but they do not mention decreasing or removing an OC. Does anyone happen to know if this will void the warranty. It seems like it shouldn't, but we have a lack of confidence in their policies, and I fear that they will claim we broke it and refuse to give a refund.

Any information about Cyberpower, specifically surrounding warranty and reliability would be much appreciated :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

You know you can set to default values from BIOS, right...?

That isn't the issue. We need to know if removing the OC will void the warranty.

You know you can set to default values from BIOS, right...?

i think they are afraid with that too... :P

They sent you a PC that was pre-overclocked? And it was unstable? I would call them and ask for a new system.

seconded... :) ..whats the point in OC when it came unstable...

As long as all you do is default the settings it should be fine. Just dont go changing them to somthing custom.

I completely understand about solving the problem, I'm just afraid that they will try to weasel out of the warranty through any means, so I want to know that removing their OC will keep the warranty intact.

That isn't the issue. We need to know if removing the OC will void the warranty.

Of course it won't? you aren't doing anything to the hardware that wasn't intended by the manufacturer. I would call them and get a new system though, since you paid for a chip that could over-clock to the advertised value, and they didn't deliver. It sounds to me like they just do a quick and dirty over-clock, go over-kill on the voltage just to be sure and don't stability test it. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

seconded... :) ..whats the point in OC when it came unstable...

This is what I thought. I warned them both about buying it and about the OC, but they don't really trust me.

Yeah, all you have to do is go to the BIOS and return the settings to default. I don't think doing that would void your warranty. I mean you received a system with an unstable overclock and to me that's just purely unacceptable.

Yeah, all you have to do is go to the BIOS and return the settings to default. I don't think doing that would void your warranty. I mean you received a system with an unstable overclock and to me that's just purely unacceptable.

I agree, at least you should contact them regarding the issue and see what they have to say about it. If they want the system returned they may give you money off an even better one.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

Yeah why doesn't he ask for a new system?

His family ordered the system, and they don't trust me to diagnose an unstable CPU, so they "don't think there is any evidence to return it"...

Of course it won't? you aren't doing anything to the hardware that wasn't intended by the manufacturer. I would call them and get a new system though, since you paid for a chip that could over-clock to the advertised value, and they didn't deliver. It sounds to me like they just do a quick and dirty over-clock, go over-kill on the voltage just to be sure and don't stability test it. 

Doesn't work like that, if it's on a contract anything can be grounds to void a warranty. 

contracts and warranty terms don't have to be logical, they're signed and that's all that matters. 

Error: 410

His family ordered the system, and they don't trust me to diagnose an unstable CPU, so they "don't think there is any evidence to return it"...

They don't have to return it, but they should still contact them even at the slightest sign of any problems.

Why don't they trust you? Did you run a stability test in-front of them and show it crashing? or have it crash out of a game? They sound short-sighted. 

Doesn't work like that, if it's on a contract anything can be grounds to void a warranty. 

contracts and warranty terms don't have to be logical, they're signed and that's all that matters. 

Yes, but they can only call the warranty void if there is any evidence of the CPU clock being changed. If the OP needs to claim on the warranty, all he has to do is punch in the same over-clock that it came with, along with the same voltage, then hey-presto! 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

u know dont bother...if they dont want the help just let them handle on their own, if anything goes wrong then they are probably gonna assume u the culprit.. -_-

They don't have to return it, but they should still contact them even at the slightest sign of any problems.

It's already had problems. In fact they have dealt with tons of PC problems with this and the previous PC (made by a different company), so I can't blame them for wanting to ignore this issue...

u know dont bother...if they dont want the help just let them handle on their own, if anything goes wrong then they are probably gonna assume u the culprit.. -_-

This sounds like a good idea TBH. It's a pain when he dissapears while gaming, only to find that his PC crashed.

I would just call them. Friend got a PC from CyberPower a while back and it had some issues with the motherboard. They were really friendly and sorted the issue out within 2-3 weeks. I think it's best you call them and ask for a replacement in case the OC has already caused damage to the CPU. 

It's already had problems. In fact they have dealt with tons of PC problems with this and the previous PC (made by a different company), so I can't blame them for wanting to ignore this issue...

The chances are though, waiting like this is not going to make the issue go away, insted its a ticking time bomb. If its a unstable cpu, this will drasticly reduce its life time and the lifetime of the overall pc.

How long does there warranty last for?

This sounds like a good idea TBH. It's a pain when he dissapears while gaming, only to find that his PC crashed.

i understand... :) ...ur friend trusts u...right..?? so tell him to directly contact cyberpower and let them fix for u...it is called warranty for a reason...dont poke it or else warranty gets void...cypberpower will have to fix it..its their job...

Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to speak to them this evening, and I will simply explain the problem to them. If they want my help I will help them, but if they don't then I'll drop it :)

Why don't they trust you? Did you run a stability test in-front of them and show it crashing? or have it crash out of a game? They sound short-sighted. 

Yes, but they can only call the warranty void if there is any evidence of the CPU clock being changed. If the OP needs to claim on the warranty, all he has to do is punch in the same over-clock that it came with, along with the same voltage, then hey-presto! 

True, but it's not OP and if his friend doesn't know how to build I doubt his friend will be mindful of this in the event that it needs to be sent back. 

I would still say to contact Cyberpower, since you should get what you paid for. 

Error: 410

True, but it's not OP and if his friend doesn't know how to build I doubt his friend will be mindful of this in the event that it needs to be sent back. 

I would still say to contact Cyberpower, since you should get what you paid for. 

Yes, which is exactly what I said earlier. The OP's friend paid for a chip that could over-clock to X frequency, and it didn't deliver.