Wifi router with SIM tray for hotspot use?

Cy-Fy

Hi, I'm moving into a new house and deciding on which internet provider to go with has been a little problematic, plus there are currently a lot of delays for the installation appointments.

I was thinking that since my phone network provides unlimited data for use with tethering, are there wifi routers that could basically act as a mobile phone hotspot? So a router that you plug in your sim card and turns the 4G signal into a wifi signal for the home?

If so, what is a major disadvantage about this? is it very slow? Thanks!

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

1 hour ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hi, I'm moving into a new house and deciding on which internet provider to go with has been a little problematic, plus there are currently a lot of delays for the installation appointments.

I was thinking that since my phone network provides unlimited data for use with tethering, are there wifi routers that could basically act as a mobile phone hotspot? So a router that you plug in your sim card and turns the 4G signal into a wifi signal for the home?

If so, what is a major disadvantage about this? is it very slow? Thanks!

To answer your question. Yes there are routers out there that do have SIM card slots, or routers that you can USB teather a phone or hotspot to. I cant really tell you much about the routers with SIM card slots as I have never used one, but you will need to make sure it works with your providers bands. As far as the router that allows you to tether I have a Synology RT2600AC and it can utilize its USB port for LTE, they have a list of hotspot and phones that can be used to USB teather. 

As far as speeds. That depends on your provider. My provider for example technically offers unlimited data however you get X amount at 5G, X amount at LTE and in some cases you drop down to 3G speed if you use enough data. So you will need to read your providers TOS and see what it states. My provider thankfully is pretty open with its policy. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

To answer your question. Yes there are routers out there that do have SIM card slots, or routers that you can USB teather a phone or hotspot to. I cant really tell you much about the routers with SIM card slots as I have never used one, but you will need to make sure it works with your providers bands. As far as the router that allows you to tether I have a Synology RT2600AC and it can utilize its USB port for LTE, they have a list of hotspot and phones that can be used to USB teather. 

As far as speeds. That depends on your provider. My provider for example technically offers unlimited data however you get X amount at 5G, X amount at LTE and in some cases you drop down to 3G speed if you use enough data. So you will need to read your providers TOS and see what it states. My provider thankfully is pretty open with its policy. 

Hi thanks a lot for your answer, I'll take a look at what you mentioned.

One more thing, would there be any advantage in doing all this with a router compared to just using the hotspot function straight from my phone? Thanks

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

4 hours ago, Cy-Fy said:

One more thing, would there be any advantage in doing all this with a router compared to just using the hotspot function straight from my phone? Thanks

Cant say as I dont use cellular internet in this type of way. Id image a normal router would have better WIFi penetration in your home than a phones hotspot, besides that none that I can think of. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.