Suggestion for a home network setup

Go to solution Solved by tarfeef101,

For a consumer like you, just get an unmanaged switch. setting it up will be very easy, you literally do nothing!

If you care about saving money, I'd recommend something like this: NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS110MX)

I have one myself. Easy to set up since it's unmanaged, has 10Gb backhaul and a couple dedicated 10Gb ports so the key devices that need it can be super fast, and the rest still get to share the 10Gb backhaul, so it's a great value. And also I don't even know if it has a fan. 

If you need more ports, and don't have multiple from your router already, just grab another cheap switch for like 20 bucks, as I suspect most devices don't need more than gigabit speeds in your home, so them sharing that should be fine

Hello everybody, 

We are looking to install multiple internet connection trought out our house. There should be 10-ish connection in total. Internet cable are all ready installed,(cat 5e) in the most part, just need to be terminated, thats not the problem. 

I need sugestion for how to connect all these device + a media server (plex server to be config). We have a 1gb/s internet connection from our IPS and most device need to be connected to internet. 

Do you have any suggestion for a switch that could meet those specs, easy to use for an amateur and most important, silent enough. I am in no way an expert, so if you have suggestion for software, hardware, etc, go for it

thanks a lot 

-edit :

I also need some sort of tutorial on how to setup thing coorectly. LTT did a video not long ago for a plex server, but i dont know how to correctly setup a network switch. if you have some reference for me, that would be great !!

thanks again

For a consumer like you, just get an unmanaged switch. setting it up will be very easy, you literally do nothing!

If you care about saving money, I'd recommend something like this: NETGEAR 10-Port Gigabit/10G Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS110MX)

I have one myself. Easy to set up since it's unmanaged, has 10Gb backhaul and a couple dedicated 10Gb ports so the key devices that need it can be super fast, and the rest still get to share the 10Gb backhaul, so it's a great value. And also I don't even know if it has a fan. 

If you need more ports, and don't have multiple from your router already, just grab another cheap switch for like 20 bucks, as I suspect most devices don't need more than gigabit speeds in your home, so them sharing that should be fine

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

7 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

Thank you !!! 

It really help to know what your looking for. I did bought a unmanaged switch, but I want with a 24 port 1Gb switch, since it was more suited for what I plan. If I need more speed, I will go with a 10Gb, buy for now, that's good for me. 

Thanks again !!!

1 hour ago, PopeyeQc said:

Thank you !!! 

It really help to know what your looking for. I did bought a unmanaged switch, but I want with a 24 port 1Gb switch, since it was more suited for what I plan. If I need more speed, I will go with a 10Gb, buy for now, that's good for me. 

Thanks again !!!

No worries. Just one thing to remember with a normal gigabit switch: not only do all the devices downsteam of the switch only get up to 1Gb, but since there's only a single 1Gb connection to the router, they all SHARE 1Gb. The benefit of something like what I suggested is that you can have 1 or 2 devices that can saturate up to 10Gb by themselves, but since there's a 10Gb uplink to the router as well, you can have MANY devices going at 1Gb or greater. Which is handy if you have high traffic, especially simultaneously. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

18 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

No worries. Just one thing to remember with a normal gigabit switch: not only do all the devices downsteam of the switch only get up to 1Gb, but since there's only a single 1Gb connection to the router, they all SHARE 1Gb. The benefit of something like what I suggested is that you can have 1 or 2 devices that can saturate up to 10Gb by themselves, but since there's a 10Gb uplink to the router as well, you can have MANY devices going at 1Gb or greater. Which is handy if you have high traffic, especially simultaneously. 

They will always share the 1gb because that is the isp provided limit. 

As for communicating between themselves, they will not share 1gb,they can each do 1gb. The switch operates independently of the router. 

17 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

They will always share the 1gb because that is the isp provided limit. 

As for communicating between themselves, they will not share 1gb,they can each do 1gb. The switch operates independently of the router. 

that assumes the internet never gets faster, and that they have the access point also on the switch, which many don't cause they use an all-in-one router, or have wireless using another subnet and port from their router. if the AP is going through the router, then this won't apply. it's future-proof, and not an incredible cost IMO

4 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

that assumes the internet never gets faster, and that they have the access point also on the switch, which many don't cause they use an all-in-one router, or have wireless using another subnet and port from their router. if the AP is going through the router, then this won't apply. it's future-proof, and not an incredible cost IMO

That doesn't assume anything. That takes the information at hand and give an answer. 

On a wired network, which was stated in the op, the throughput of the switch is not the same as the bandwidth of each port. 

We all ready use all 4 on LAN port on our ISP router, and we experience dips when we all download at the same time. We cannot go higher than 1gb/s combine. 

Yes, it is future proofing the network, but we do not plan to go any faster since it is already expensive.

Thanks for the clarification 🤠