new fibre router

Tom_nerd
Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
1 minute ago, AlexHD said:

No the AX11000 is not a modem, It just works.

It’s either a modem, or it’s connected to an upstream modem…. Routers are not modems and modems are not routers. You definitely have a modem somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

(just accidently pressed the submit button so couldn't put both answers in there. Anyway:

The main goal is to increase the Wi-Fi range/speed as I've heard that getting a new router that isn't the stock one can get you your advertised speeds, also extra range would be nice, as our toilet is like an anechoic chamber, and everyone enjoys a bit of YouTube whilst dropping anchor. 

The “best” way to did this is to put your ISP’s router into bridge mode (what ISP do you have, what is the modem number on your modem/router?) and then use your own higher performance router. 

Hi,

I am a massive PC nerd but I've managed to go through my PC nerd life without diving into networking. So when I wanted to get a new router I realised that the "input" for the router is a fibre optic cable, and all of the routers I see online have an ethernet "input" (I'm putting input in speech marks because there is probably a more technical term that I haven't learnt yet). When I get a new router (I just can't deal with the horrible stock one) is there a way to go directly from fibre into the router or do I still have to use the stock router as a passthrough for the new router?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Do you have FIOS or other Fiber internet?

If you can log into the router you can probably change it to bridge mode and then use a normal router instead.  

I've got fiber, and it is pretty simply. You have to buy an optic fibre to Ethernet adapter (Like this one I got https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Supporting-MC220L/dp/B003CFATL0) , its pretty cheap and a JBIC to adapt the fiber to SFP. (I got a purple JBIC and understood that only this one will work successfully :P);

not an expert, but that is how I got it

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've got my Adapter for free as long I am staying with this ISP xd

I've got fiber, and it is pretty simply. You have to buy an optic fibre to Ethernet adapter (Like this one I got https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Converter-Supporting-MC220L/dp/B003CFATL0) , its pretty cheap and a JBIC to adapt the fiber to SFP. (I got a purple JBIC and understood that only this one will work successfully :P);

I know this is going to sound really stupid but:

I have a round fibre optic cable not a square one. Is there an adapter for that?

(Thanks by the way for helping me out)

image.thumb.png.bb001591961a0617b795d562bc8c116d.png

So, from my 5 minute googling I think thats SFP+, although I've got a coaxial input.

Just now, AlexHD said:

This cable is an coax I think,
sorry to disappoint you its not a fiber lol

I think that both coaxial and SFP+ carry a light signal, so are therefore fibre.

Just now, Tom_nerd said:

I think that both coaxial and SFP+ carry a light signal, so are therefore fibre.

I might be really stupid, But I had coax for 10 Years and I think it is not optical and it is working on electrical signals.

correction:

when I say SFP+ I meant to say SFP, I've just realised they don't mean the same thing and are slightly different:

SFP-vs-SFP-1024x517.png

If you have fiber internet, you need a fiber modem… not a fiber router. You always need a modem between your router and the ISP supplied line, weather its fiber, coax, DSL etc. 

Your ISP would have provided this. So are you trying to upgrade? Are you trying to do internal (LAN) over fiber? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

If you have fiber internet, you need a fiber modem… not a fiber router. You always need a modem between your router and the ISP supplied line, weather its fiber, coax, DSL etc. 

Your ISP would have provided this. So are you trying to upgrade? Are you trying to do internal (LAN) over fiber? 

I have the AX11000 Rupture with an adapter, with no modem. And it still works fine, and SFP, SFP+ work on the same idea the SFP+ is just more capable.

Just now, LIGISTX said:

I don't know what that means but here is my interpretation:

currently I have a coaxial cable going into the house which then goes into what I would call the router (It might have a modem built in, to be perfectly honest I don't know). I was looking to get a new "router" because the stock one can barely reach upstairs (downstairs: 180 up, 50 down. Upstairs: 1 up, 0.5 down). So my question was: is there a way to get a new router that can accept that coaxial input instead of me having to pass through the current router?

(Thanks in advance)

I know that there are a few companies (asus is one of them Im pretty sure) that sell routers with a Coax connection.
You should check it out because I am not 100% sure about that.

2 minutes ago, AlexHD said:

I have the AX11000 Rupture with an adapter, with no modem. And it still works fine, and SFP, SFP+ work on the same idea the SFP+ is just more capable.

What is doing the public to private IP translation? Is that AX11000 also a modem? 

I don't know what that means but here is my interpretation:

currently I have a coaxial cable going into the house which then goes into what I would call the router (It might have a modem built in, to be perfectly honest I don't know). I was looking to get a new "router" because the stock one can barely reach upstairs (downstairs: 180 up, 50 down. Upstairs: 1 up, 0.5 down). So my question was: is there a way to get a new router that can accept that coaxial input instead of me having to pass through the current router?

(Thanks in advance)

The “router” you currently have is likely a modem/router combo unit. If it has coax going in, that portion of it is the modem. Then that is internally connected to a router which proves Wifi and likely 4 Ethernet ports. 

Why are you looking at fiber? Don’t bother with fiber unless you need to, it won’t make anything faster and will only make things more difficult. 

To get better Wifi, you will need to put your router into bridge mode (or get your own modem from someone like Motorola or netgear etc) and connect a better router to either your bridge moded ISP provided combo unit or your new modem. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

I know that there are a few companies (asus is one of them Im pretty sure) that sell routers with a Coax connection.
You should check it out because I am not 100% sure about that.

I've just been looking online and I've seen that routers will advertise themselves as being fibre but then only have an ethernet input. Is there something I'm missing out?

I guess let’s take a step back.

1) Do you have fiber optic internet provided to your house/apartment? Or is it coax?

2) Your goal is to increase your Wifi range and your looking to upgrade your router in order to accomplish this?

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

1) Do you have fiber optic internet provided to your house/apartment? Or is it coax?

I thought I had a fibre connection going over coaxial although from that statement it sounds like it couldn't be true. Although if it helps here is a link to a cable extender for the cable I've got going into the router currently:Extension Cable for Virgin Media Broadband Superhub Modem Router TiVo or Sky TV | eBay

(just accidently pressed the submit button so couldn't put both answers in there. Anyway:

5 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

2) Your goal is to increase your Wifi range and your looking to upgrade your router in order to accomplish this?

The main goal is to increase the Wi-Fi range/speed as I've heard that getting a new router that isn't the stock one can get you your advertised speeds, also extra range would be nice, as our toilet is like an anechoic chamber, and everyone enjoys a bit of YouTube whilst dropping anchor. 

2 minutes ago, AlexHD said:

I am so incredibly confused by that statement. It works for what?

Just now, Tom_nerd said:

If it is just to extend the range get an another router, when I had coax I've bought an Archer 1750 (TP-Link) to extend the range and just connect it to work in Bridge mode, or just as an AP (Access point).

If it is just to extend the range get an another router, when I had coax I've bought an Archer 1750 (TP-Link) to extend the range and just connect it to work in Bridge mode, or just as an AP (Access point).

Although I would also like a new web interface,  because currently its a "near-terminal" like interface, and interacting with it is like talking to a dead Pidgeon, and the new UI's seem to be drastically more intuitive to use, and that would be really useful for making sure that gaming machines get higher priority when it comes to latency over my smart bulb.

It’s either a modem, or it’s connected to an upstream modem…. Routers are not modems and modems are not routers. You definitely have a modem somewhere. 

The “best” way to did this is to put your ISP’s router into bridge mode (what ISP do you have, what is the modem number on your modem/router?) and then use your own higher performance router.