i7 12700k (DDR4 MB) VS 5900x Build Upgrade (2021 END)

RedaSaiko

Hi,

I know this question as been asked a lot, but my use case is a little different. I am in a huge dilemma right now, I hope you guys will help me with this.

Let me give a little intro about my specific use case. It might sound weird, but I have 3 desktop computers...in my room (and I use the 3 of them):

• Main PC (multitasking, hundreds of chrome tabs, gaming) : R7 3700x - GTX 1080 - 64gb - B550 mobo.

• Secondary PC (digital art work with cintiq 16 pro, CSP) : i7 8700 - GTX 1070 - 32/48/64 gb (lending some sticks to a friend) - OEM Dell XPS 8930

• NAS PC (Unraid): R3 Pro 2200GE - 16gb ECC - B450 mobo (yes ECC is functional!)

Actually I have also spare part, I *only ^^* need a mobo + cpu to make a new computer that will replace the Dell I am planning to sell. Unlike a lot of people here, I am not the type to upgrade each year, I like to keep my builds for as long as possible. I am trying to get the best I can afford now and forget about it for a few years. New computer will be my new main pc. At first I was only thinking AMD, but to my surprise Intel seems to be back with something decent now. NOT INTERESTED IN DDR5 for a few reasons. That's why I can't decide between this 2 routes:

• AMD route: getting the B550 Taichi (220$) + R5 5600G (230$) now. The 3700x + Taichi will be my main pc and the Mortar Wifi I have now will welcome the 5600G and become my secondary pc. 5900x will replace the 3700x later in 2022 if its price drops enough (480$ now) or 5900x with 3D cache. I can also get the 5900x + Taichi now and keep the 3700x as my secondary pc.

The costs of the 2 upgrades will be roughly the same (around 930$ with shipping + import fees), at least if I get the 5900x NOW. Some pros and cons I can think about for each route (please correct me if wrong):

• AMD route pros:

- 3 computers with the same platform means interchangeable cpus/mobos. For example if some day I need more power in my NAS I can upgrade either of the 2 others and put their cpu/mobo in the NAS build.

- AM4 is a well matured platform.

- Power consumption and heat seem lower on AMD side vs Intel, at least on paper.

- The B550 Taichi is a nicer board (quality and features wise) than the 2 Z690 ones.

- ECC support on all cpus (excpet non pro apus) and Asus/Asrock mobos.

• AMD route cons:

- AM4 is a dying (dead?) platform. But again Z690 with DDR4 will only support the 12th gen asaik.

- No upgrade path in the future, but again I really don't see myself needing an upgrade in the next few years.

- Concerned about the lack of AM4 replacements motherboards if something happens (not right now but in a few years since when AM5 will drop production of Am4 should stop).

- No PCIe 5 support (not even using the 4 now, no idea about the future).

• INTEL route cons:

- 12700k seems better than the 5900x in the benchmarks I have seen.

- Newer platform with some (useless ^^) stuff like PCIe 5.

- iGPU is nice to have, a working computer in the case your gpu die (the worst nightmare in 2021).

• INTEL route cons:

- New and still very young platform with a lot of issues.

- Heat and power consumption are higher? My room is always in the 30C in summer. No AC.

- No interchangeability with my other pcs (cpu/mobo wise).

- Motherboards are too expensive.

- No ECC.

Wow, it has been a long writing/reading. If you are here, a great thanks, and sorry for being so long. I hope this post will help other people with the same concerns.

What do you think about this?

1 hour ago, RedaSaiko said:

Power consumption and heat seem lower on AMD side vs Intel, at least on paper.

This is really only on paper. Unless you are hitting all the cores with your work load, 5900x and 12700k will general have similar temps in game (games rarely hit all the cores at the same time).

1 hour ago, RedaSaiko said:

AM4 is a dying (dead?) platform. But again Z690 with DDR4 will only support the 12th gen asaik.

Don't feel like you need to worry about this. By the time you feel like you need to upgrade, you will probably need a platform change anyways.

Everything else you said is fairly accurate. It really depends on if you're wanting the best, or the more stable platform. I lean towards you getting AMD cause you have a lot of AMD already and you would have some "spare" parts if anything breaks.

If you're a really heavy multitasker, you might even consider going 5950x or 12900K.

I don't think it reasonable to suggest that Alder Lake has a lot of issues. As far as I am aware the only issues that have arisen relate to software, not hardware. Software will be quickly fixed by authors if they wish to continue selling product.

I'm not sure the compatible parts argument is that applicable. You know your inventory. Certainly I think it unlikely you would canabalize a working system. Besides, the only parts that are not interchangeable between AMD and Intel are the cpu and motherboard.

I'd suggest making the platform decision purely on meeting your performance goals and cost.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thank you for the input, and sorry for not answering earlier (I have been to the hospital for some tests and got back so tired that I totally forgot to check this post).

I decided to go with AMD, ECC support is very important to me, and AMD boards are better in the same price category than Z690. Again thank you for the advice, it really helped me sorting things out guys!

On 12/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, RedaSaiko said:

Hi,

I know this question as been asked a lot, but my use case is a little different. I am in a huge dilemma right now, I hope you guys will help me with this.

Let me give a little intro about my specific use case. It might sound weird, but I have 3 desktop computers...in my room (and I use the 3 of them):

• Main PC (multitasking, hundreds of chrome tabs, gaming) : R7 3700x - GTX 1080 - 64gb - B550 mobo.

• Secondary PC (digital art work with cintiq 16 pro, CSP) : i7 8700 - GTX 1070 - 32/48/64 gb (lending some sticks to a friend) - OEM Dell XPS 8930

• NAS PC (Unraid): R3 Pro 2200GE - 16gb ECC - B450 mobo (yes ECC is functional!)

Actually I have also spare part, I *only ^^* need a mobo + cpu to make a new computer that will replace the Dell I am planning to sell. Unlike a lot of people here, I am not the type to upgrade each year, I like to keep my builds for as long as possible. I am trying to get the best I can afford now and forget about it for a few years. New computer will be my new main pc. At first I was only thinking AMD, but to my surprise Intel seems to be back with something decent now. NOT INTERESTED IN DDR5 for a few reasons. That's why I can't decide between this 2 routes:

• AMD route: getting the B550 Taichi (220$) + R5 5600G (230$) now. The 3700x + Taichi will be my main pc and the Mortar Wifi I have now will welcome the 5600G and become my secondary pc. 5900x will replace the 3700x later in 2022 if its price drops enough (480$ now) or 5900x with 3D cache. I can also get the 5900x + Taichi now and keep the 3700x as my secondary pc.

The costs of the 2 upgrades will be roughly the same (around 930$ with shipping + import fees), at least if I get the 5900x NOW. Some pros and cons I can think about for each route (please correct me if wrong):

• AMD route pros:

- 3 computers with the same platform means interchangeable cpus/mobos. For example if some day I need more power in my NAS I can upgrade either of the 2 others and put their cpu/mobo in the NAS build.

- AM4 is a well matured platform.

- Power consumption and heat seem lower on AMD side vs Intel, at least on paper.

- The B550 Taichi is a nicer board (quality and features wise) than the 2 Z690 ones.

- ECC support on all cpus (excpet non pro apus) and Asus/Asrock mobos.

• AMD route cons:

- AM4 is a dying (dead?) platform. But again Z690 with DDR4 will only support the 12th gen asaik.

- No upgrade path in the future, but again I really don't see myself needing an upgrade in the next few years.

- Concerned about the lack of AM4 replacements motherboards if something happens (not right now but in a few years since when AM5 will drop production of Am4 should stop).

- No PCIe 5 support (not even using the 4 now, no idea about the future).

• INTEL route cons:

- 12700k seems better than the 5900x in the benchmarks I have seen.

- Newer platform with some (useless ^^) stuff like PCIe 5.

- iGPU is nice to have, a working computer in the case your gpu die (the worst nightmare in 2021).

• INTEL route cons:

- New and still very young platform with a lot of issues.

- Heat and power consumption are higher? My room is always in the 30C in summer. No AC.

- No interchangeability with my other pcs (cpu/mobo wise).

- Motherboards are too expensive.

- No ECC.

Wow, it has been a long writing/reading. If you are here, a great thanks, and sorry for being so long. I hope this post will help other people with the same concerns.

What do you think about this?

I think that the incompatibility with Intel doesn't matter since apparently AMD is ditching the AM4 motherboard, I also think that this is the time where a lot of PCs will actually be outdated, since prototype SSDs have hit 15GBps (yes, gigabytes), and RAM is about to double in speed

overall, I would suggest Intel 100%, and it's not only because I believe they're the better overall company, it's also because I believe they are currently the better overall choice, and with motherboards being the only expensive part, I can see this being a really good option for budget in the future (rip 10400F)

another thing to note: heat

I'd like to think that most people buying a $600 CPU like the 12900k should have air conditioning, and you're the first person I've seen who hasn't, but I still do think Intel is the better choice, worst case scenario, you put it so it exhausts heat outside

and as for the future, I believe Intel will take the lead back, but that's an entirely different story

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

In my recent experience AMD is harder to keep cool and stable than any intel I have ever worked with, at this point I would probably go for the new intel.

A con of AMD is usb stability issues, I still have one USB port I don't use, for some reason its laggy.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

15 hours ago, Daethz said:

In my recent experience AMD is harder to keep cool and stable than any intel I have ever worked with, at this point I would probably go for the new intel.

A con of AMD is usb stability issues, I still have one USB port I don't use, for some reason its laggy.

Well my first AMD CPU is the 3700x, no problem so far, either in temp or stability.

The Pro 2200GE is also super stable in my Unraid, it's a 35w CPU so it runs super cool.

I see that you have the 5950x and the NH-D15 black. I have the same cooler, how well does it work with your monster cpu?

PS: It's me or the "Alder Lake" comment is an unpleasant ad spam?

nah the alder lake dude is just a name
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

2 hours ago, Mr-G-Man said:

nah the alder lake dude is just a name

Ah ok wow someone is in love with her/his cpu. 

2 hours ago, RedaSaiko said:

Ah ok wow someone is in love with her/his cpu. 

Might live near one of the dozen or so Alder lakes in N.Am. 😀

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 hours ago, RedaSaiko said:

I see that you have the 5950x and the NH-D15 black. I have the same cooler, how well does it work with your monster cpu?

I keep PBO on auto and my cpu caps out in the high 70c's, but i have a loot of airflow.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+